WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:59 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 14:05 pm 

I am the proud owner of a 2-14 dated Wilkinson P1907 bayonet. Buying it was one of my last acts before going back to Europe and I got a very friendly price, it being only $40. The bayonet looked very corroded to begin with, leading me to think that it came out of French soil, but I was informed that "it was found in a French barn".

Anyway, it was very rusty and one could only barely make out the markings after using brass wool on it. After thorough deliberation and consultation of other collectors, I decided to clean it up to prevent further decay and turn it into something useable. My gunsmith was so kind to sandblast it for me with great results. Now my problem is that I have a dull piece of metal that ought to be shiny. I have a stainless steel brush which showed a little effect, but I was worried to harm the metal. Does anyone know whether stainless steel brushes will be safe to use here? Please note that I want no additional wear on the markings, either.

I will upload some pictures later!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 16:19 pm 

A little update: After some polishing with a stainless steel brush and a few runs of Chromorapid, a metal washing paste I have gotten a satin-like shine. Does anyone know how I could best get this to a good, mirror-like glare? The biggest problem however is the pitting. It ranges from mild to quite ugly and is found on most parts of the bayonet. I want to polish it to a perfect shine, so filling the erosion spots with a filler and then paintning over them is not going to work for me. Is there anything else that I could do or will I have to accept it's cratery appearance?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 19:07 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
If the metal is pitted, you will never get it shiny unless you grind the metal flat. (Don't) I doubt it would have had a mirror like shine in service anyway. A satin finish is a perfectly respectable result.

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:42 am 

Thank you for your input, sir! I will let it remain like that then. Perhaps I should have taken a stainless steel brush to it instead of sandblasting it. I did that with a nice, early Seitengewehr 84 that was apparently dug up from somewhere in France and it came out like new, apart from the pitting. I can post some pictures once I have finished that one, too.