WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 13:04 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: TELE SET D MKV
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:01 am 

Looking for ariel/antenna for one please. Any info?
Any pics or parts lists/diagrams?
I have 2 of these, good condition and complete (apart from the above I think!!) with straps
Mine are Canadian, are they the same as other Commonwealth ones?

Any info or pointers greatly appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: TELE SET D MKV
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:15 am 

Well, if you manage to source one let me know. I've been looking for about 3 years! and I've only got the one phone!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:15 am 

Ox_Bucks_44 wrote:
Well, if you manage to source one let me know. I've been looking for about 3 years! and I've only got the one phone!

Will do mate, don't even have a picture of one or diagrams!! If did I could make one.

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:56 am 

Only good picture I ever found - http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4716 - near the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:38 am 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Ariels? Antennas?! These are telephones chaps - they are interconnected by wires, not radio waves! :-D
If you are infact wanting to aquire the item that fits into the web buckled loops of the carry strap, then that is an Earth Spike/Ground Spike.
You can opporate two telepohnes without these, by just linking L1 to L1 and L2 to L2 between each telephone with lengths of normal wire. Both telephones will need batteries installed to opporate. These phones run off of 3V - don't go connecting up higher voltage batteries as some idiots do ("more voltage = workz betta!" isn't the case') as tele' coil (No.28 if I remeber correctly?) windings won't last for very long. Two 'D' cell batteries in a holder fit nicely.
If you would like detailed pictures and measurments of the styles of eath spikes used, then I can provide them (once I get back home to Derby!) if you'd like?

Also, is your Type D a MkV or a MkV*? And is the top cover/lid steel or aluminium (the produced them with either folded and riveted steel or casted/pressed aluminium)?

I used to (and still kinda do) obsess about British wired field communications, so I have a lot of info' on feild telephones I'm happy to share.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:48 am 

McVickers wrote:
Ariels? Antennas?! These are telephones chaps - they are interconnected by wires, not radio waves! :-D
If you are infact wanting to aquire the item that fits into the web buckled loops of the carry strap, then that is an Earth Spike/Ground Spike.
You can opporate two telepohnes without these, by just linking L1 to L1 and L2 to L2 between each telephone with lengths of normal wire. Both telephones will need batteries installed to opporate. These phones run off of 3V - don't go connecting up higher voltage batteries as some idiots do ("more voltage = workz betta!" isn't the case') as tele' coil (No.28 if I remeber correctly?) windings won't last for very long. Two 'D' cell batteries in a holder fit nicely.
If you would like detailed pictures and measurments of the styles of eath spikes used, then I can provide them (once I get back home to Derby!) if you'd like?

Also, is your Type D a MkV or a MkV*? And is the top cover/lid steel or aluminium (the produced them with either folded and riveted steel or casted/pressed aluminium)?

I used to (and still kinda do) obsess about British wired field communications, so I have a lot of info' on feild telephones I'm happy to share.

Thanks for that, only recently got these, yes I know it's not Ariel/antenna, logic shouts at me now, just that the strap is always advertised as Ariel holder and got it into my head!!! Sorry for school boy error, I will do 50 lines!!
Done a bit of searching, still no concrete pics of SPIKE (in bold to emphersise I am listening now!!!! Lol)
A guy on MLU forum had some a few years back, sent a message but no reply yet. Making own might be the way to go.
I still have the battery packs in mine so will replicate to the same. More 'juice' doesn't mean more power, just smell of burning!!! Lol
Mines a MK V, aluminium lid.
Any further info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:14 am 

Just having a look at my telephone on the outside it is marked up as a mark V* with the british arrow mark but on the inside it has a canadian arrow mark dated 1944 and is marked up as a V and has a canadian handset with the wing nut to turn to talk.
Looking at my strap it has no loops for the earth spike. Is this the wrong strap or did the canadian not have the spike?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:58 am 

It's not the strap fitted to both of mine.
Mine has the two ends just open, no buckles or hooks. They link round the swivels on either side of the unit!
Also they have the two spike buckle and loops on one side. Unless MINE are wrong . . .! Lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 13:43 pm 

Baza161 wrote:
Just having a look at my telephone on the outside it is marked up as a mark V* with the british arrow mark but on the inside it has a canadian arrow mark dated 1944 and is marked up as a V and has a canadian handset with the wing nut to turn to talk.

If a MkV* (a conversion/modification of the MkV), yours does not have the headset (headphones) then, yeah? Instead, when you look inside the lower conpartment there'll be two screw terminals linked with a bit of wire/metal plate hopefully...

Baza161 wrote:
Looking at my strap it has no loops for the earth spike. Is this the wrong strap or did the canadian not have the spike?

That strap looks like the Wireless Set 38 "paratrooper" neck/shoulder strap (some WS38 owners who can't find these straps use MkV box respirator bag straps instead), if I recall correctly (infantry had a little 2" tab with hook to attach to webbing set brace/shoulder strap)? But I could be wrong as I'm not up on my wireless comms' stuff.

hoseman wrote:
Mine has the two ends just open, no buckles or hooks. They link round the swivels on either side of the unit!
Also they have the two spike buckle and loops on one side. Unless MINE are wrong . . .! Lol

Yours are the right type.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 14:06 pm 

McVickers wrote:
Baza161 wrote:

If a MkV* (a conversion/modification of the MkV), yours does not have the headset (headphones) then, yeah? Instead, when you look inside the lower conpartment there'll be two screw terminals linked with a bit of wire/metal plate hopefully...

Baza161 wrote:

That strap looks like the Wireless Set 38 "paratrooper" neck/shoulder strap (some WS38 owners who can't find these straps use MkV box respirator bag straps instead), if I recall correctly (infantry had a little 2" tab with hook to attach to webbing set brace/shoulder strap)? But I could be wrong as I'm not up on my wireless comms' stuff.

hoseman wrote:

Yours are the right type.

Thanks for that, given me an idea of setting up a field telephone for the public to use mow, just need a scenario to play out!!!
Any ideas??

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 20:42 pm 

hoseman wrote:
McVickers wrote:
If you would like detailed pictures and measurements of the styles of earth spikes used, then I can provide them (once I get back home to Derby!) if you'd like?

Done a bit of searching, still no concrete pics of SPIKE (in bold to emphasise I am listening now!!!! Lol)
A guy on MLU forum had some a few years back, sent a message but no reply yet. Making own might be the way to go....

....Any further info greatly appreciated.

Early war Earth spike -
Multi-part welded construction, with round steel bar handle welded to square steel bar spike, which has been predominantly turned to a round section and has had its end turned into a round (conical) point. Wire termination is by brass ring-retained brass thumb-nut on threaded brass stud inserted into steel rod. Oil-blacked or black phosphate finish.

As you can see from the photograph below, these fitted into the spike retaining loops of the carry straps soooo much easier and less damaging to the webbing, than the later square profile spikes.

Attachment:
WW2 Earth Spike Early.jpg

Late war (front) Earth spike -
Economy single-part construction, with square steel bar bent to form both handle and spike, which has had its end stamped in to a square-section (pyramidal) point. Wire termination is by a non-retained brass thumb-nut on a threaded brass cheese-head bolt screwed through the spike via a threaded hole. Oil-blacked or black phosphate finish.

Post war ['60s/'70s/'80s] (rear) Earth spike -
Economy single-part construction, with square steel bar bent to form both handle and spike, which has had its end turned into a round (conical) point. Wire termination is by a steel ring-retained brass wing-nut on a threaded brass pan-head bolt screwed through the spike via a threaded hole. Zinc/galvanised finish.

Being square section, these are a far tighter fit into the spike retaining loops on the carry strap, and the rough edges can cause damage to the webbing over time.

Attachment:
WW2 Earth Spike Late & Post.jpg

Hope this isn't too in-depth for you Paul!
Telephony Earth spikes are very hard to find nowadays (unlike the far larger ones which are easy to find), yet never fetch much money - probably because it's only anal people like me who are interested in them. The early war type (the one's I'm on the lookout for) I picked up for £4, the later economy type was a ground dug item from a war-time training area (just a field now) and cost me £0.50p from the finder (who knew what it was) and has since been restored [not rusty like in the picture above], where as the mint unissued post-war ones cost £7 each (which I thought rather steep at the time - being young and a cheapskate and the only one likely to buy 'em!)

If you want to make your own replicas, precise dimensions can be supplied...

EDITED for spellings sake.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by McVickers on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 20:48 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry, F.I.R.E.44
Baza161 wrote:

Got to say, I think that is one half of the Wireless set 18 carry straps. :D

All the best,
Matt

Oh and you've got to Love Rob for his linesman knowledge! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 20:51 pm 

Dog_Rodger wrote:
Got to say, I think that is one half of the Wireless set 18 carry straps. :D

Indeed! Well spotted! I missed the tab and buckle the first time round! Ask Paul if he wants to swap for a proper telephone carry strap with earth spike holder... :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:29 am 

Thanks for that people, some nice diagrams and info on the ground spikes and straps.
My impression is late war 1944 so guessing I need the square bent section economy spike for mine.
Yes please McVicker, dimensions would be great.
Would I be forgiven if I turned the spike end instead if stamp it tho??

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:21 am 

hoseman wrote:
Thanks for that people, some nice diagrams and info on the ground spikes and straps.
My impression is late war 1944 so guessing I need the square bent section economy spike for mine.

As it's late war, both would be seen in use, so either is correct. The bent square-section one should hopefully be easier to make though!

hoseman wrote:
Yes please McVicker, dimensions would be great.

Attachment:
Late War Earth Spike Dimentions.jpg

My late war one measures thus:
The bar-stock they're made out of is 1/2" square rod.
Handle Width = 2"
Spike Length = Just over 1' (1' 1/8")
Length of tapered/pointed section = 1/2"
Distance from top of handle to centre of binding post/stud = 2"
Hole in post to be threaded 0BA

The binding post is made from a 0BA x 1 1/4" brass slotted cheese-head machine screw threaded into the 0BA hole in the spike and nipped-up tight (use threadlock?).

The thumb-nut is a 1/2" diameter brass cylinder 3/8" long with a 0BA threaded hole through its axial centre. For the outside surface, the first 2/8" of its length knurled with horizontal splines, and the last 1/8" of its length tapered/conically-turned down by 1/8" (i.e: 45-degree angle chamfer).

Matt charcoal black/grey spray paint mimics black phosphate quite well, or you could try using a nice black 'bluing' fluid.

hoseman wrote:
Would I be forgiven if I turned the spike end instead if stamp it tho??

I've used the post-war galvanised type on displays before... :oops: *waits for the finger points and the moronic cry of "FARB"*
No one was bothered or could tell anyways! :roll:
That fact that you are making your own Earth spikes as close to period type as possible to you is more than others with field telephones are doing to get it 'complete' - so having a minor deviation in reproduction is no crime :wink:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by McVickers on Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 14:20 pm 

In the D.8 cable laying video I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=89902
You get a nice shot of an early pattern Earth spike in use with a Type D MkV field phone at the frames between 14:30 and 14:55.