WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 14:27 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:44 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
So, I have this original 1943 pattern Mackinaw, functional, practical and wearable .. but ... there is a lot of fraying to the collar and cuffs, to be expected perhaps given its age and use of course.

I have been wanting for a while to repair this, make it more presentable if you like but came up short of course in relation to suitable complimentary material to do the job, but then I had an idea ... so taking a leaf out of the earlier pattern models and having some spare scrap blanket material I got the collar covered in that, which visually has I feel done the job ... The cuffs however present a different challenge, I had thought about having them done in the blanket material too, just binding around the edges, but thought better of it, after none of the other patterns had a distinctive edge like that and so wouldn't be right perhaps ?

I don't have a picture of the collar before, suffice to say it was as bad and worse in some places as the cuffs are, but the after picture shows how it looks now, with a nod as I say to the earlier pattern models Mackinaws ... my problem now is what to do with the cuffs ... anyone know where there is likely to be a material to do the job .. or conversely any ideas how to repair them ??

The reality being perhaps that back then it would have been worn until no longer useful then exchanged for another maybe ... (, borrowed or stolen :wink: ) ... but had a repair been done, perhaps it would have been done this way, so as I ask, good idea or bad idea ... restored or devalued ..??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 13:03 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

No one got an opinion then .. or ideas how to do the cuffs ..??

I don't do this for 'brownie points' ... I'm genuinely interested in what people think and if they have any suggestions, after all it pays to look after our kit, we cant just go to the stores for a new issue or the PX and buy another now can we ... not that easily anyway ..!!

The other thing is it keeps the site going ... and given that in a recent news report, "Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says people should get off Facebook if they value their privacy as the company is invading people's privacy and the only way to get away from it is to leave," .. perhaps its time to do just that and come back to this forum .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 13:43 pm 

As you have restored the collar I wouldn't think that any repairs to the cuffs will make a difference to the coat's valve as some will say that it is devalued already.

People used to repair cuffs and elbows with leather. I don't know if it would look right on your Mackinaw. Personally I would rather see something repaired/restored and then used rather than it looking wrong because it is too tatty* or worse,simply discarded.

* WW2 had "make do and mend for civilians" and surely not all military clothing issues were brand new issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 14:25 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

The problem with the cuffs is what to repair them with ... I agree that leather wouldn't be right ... I could use blanket material again, but again there is no 'precedent' as such for that as there is for the collar with the early pattern Mackinaws ... so finding a suitable same or similar material could be a problem.

I 'restored' it on the premis of what could be classed as 'field repairs' ... it is something that might have been done by an individual, it is a nod too perhaps to 'make do and mend' as you say ... and its still a period piece at the end of the day .. isn't it .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 15:15 pm 

You need to find a Mackinaw that is beyond repair but has enough material to be a donor for your current coat or find material with the same or similar weave even if the colour has to changed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 15:47 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Actually, along those lines I may have found a 'donor' piece of material on my own coat ... there is an inner blanket lining and at the bottom of that for the whole width of the coat there is a strip of material to finish the lining off ... its quite wide, a little darker in color, to be expected perhaps being covered up as it is ... but it may be possible to sympathetically cut some of that off neatly and may work .. ?
Pictures to follow .. !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 15:54 pm 

You could bleach it but practice on a small piece first. I have successfully bleached hessian and cotton prior to dyeing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 16:06 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

May not need to ... see what you think ...
The strip I'm talking about is within the red outline ... it is 2 1/2 inches wide, plenty of room to trim some off and retain the look and integrity of the inner lining .. as you can see from the close up there is a slight color difference ... but as they say 'it will ride up with wear' ... :D :wink: ... in reality it may not be that noticeable if you don't look for it or know about it and possibly in time will fade to match the rest of the sleeve maybe ..??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 16:23 pm 

I personally would try and make the colour less blue. Strange that the strip is not the same colour as the coat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 16:36 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Blue :?: ... I did do an 'auto' color correct but manually over rode it and took a lot of blue out of it as it did go over ... surprised that it looks that way to you .... :?

Yes I wondered too about the difference in color between that strip and the rest of the coat but in not having another to compare cant really figure it out unless there has been a repair in the past ... again though, another reason for posting and asking, to compare notes .. or in this case .. Mackinaws .. :D .. anyone else got a '43 pattern one then .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:01 am 

This is a repair on an original M1941 field jacket, which are known for their frayed collars and cuffs. It is impossible to be sure when the repair was made, but I am fairly confident it actually is a WW2-period repair, and you can even seen there is a slight difference in colour. I have see more original examples repaired like this:

I think neatly cutting the strip from the liner and use that is the way to go, a slight difference is colour is to be expected as the repair won't be invisible anyway. It is caused by 75 years of exposure to sunlight, which the inside didn't have.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:46 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Thanks for that, I am going to go ahead and use a donor strip from the interior of the jacket, ... !!

I am reading Ernie Pyles book again and just finished the chapter on Ordnance ... he describes how they salvaged and repaired for re-issue all sorts of equipment, weapons, large and small, Jeeps, trucks, tanks etc, not clothing obviously, but I am sure there would have been a similar unit or whatever that did the same to clothing and personal equipment and repairs would have been seen on reissue clothing perhaps.

My main concern with the refurbishment of the jacket was the collar, the '43 pattern/spec mackinaw didn't have a blanket collar and in not having a large piece of similar material, in using blanket to effect the repair as I have, I wondered what the reaction would be .. I have no doubt that in wearing it now at an event, there will be those that will say 'that's not right' .. whether or not they accept the explanation and reasoning behind it remains to be seen ..??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 15:23 pm 

As in my earlier post, I feel that too tatty and uncared for also looks wrong.

Whatever you do you won't please everyone, so just please yourself (and me by repairing the coat).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 15:47 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

As a final word on this, I have just got the jacket back from the seamstress after having the sleeves done ... if you compare the after pics below with previous before pics, it was a job that needed doing perhaps, either way I am pleased with the result and now have a complete jacket again ... !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 16:14 pm 

Definitely looking better for the repairs, and now fully serviceable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:47 am 

Looks like a period repair that won't be noticed by most anyway and makes it fully functioning again!