WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:16 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Antiquing Steel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:04 pm 

I picked up a No 36 Mills recently that was missing its lever, spring and plunger so, as you do, I ordered a repro set.
The only problem was they were nice and shiny and new and didn't match the body in patina, then I remembered an old trick to 'tarnish' the new parts more in keeping with the rest of the grenade.
This was achieved simply by spraying the bright metal close up with deodorant (Right Guard, to be precise), the aluminium chlorohydrate in the spray quickly tarnished the metal and added a powdery layer of rust in about half an hour - much easier than leaving the parts is salt water or outside for a few weeks.
After a quick wipe with an oily rag, the newly refinished items looked more contemporary with the rest of the grenade.
If you're going to use this technique, try it out on scrap first to satisfy yourself it is what you need before attempting it on any of your own gear. I've not used this on any other metal apart from steel items.
Hope this is of use.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Antiquing Steel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 18:24 pm 

Group: Civil Defenders
Thanks for the tip... but! Remember, all new equipment would have looked brand new, not 75 years old. It depends what you want, a relic, or something for reenactment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:39 am 

Yes, I was thinking of items for display that are in original condition but missing parts and not re-enactment.

While I'm here, you can remove rust from items by dipping them in vinegar, I use a Polish brand of distilled vinegar named 'Ocet' it has 10% acidity and will shift most corrosion after a couple of days soaking and a gentle swipe with a suede brush. Again, try it out on something other than your gear first.
Items will then need repainting or oiling.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 17:09 pm 

Great ideas, thank you for the tips Dussey

the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganiki. Black Adder