WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 21:31 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 pm 

Hi there. I'm new to WW2 re-enactment, having been tempted into it by one of my friends. I already do Dark Ages and Medieval re-enactment, but I've got an academic interest in WW2 so it wasn't too hard to bring me over into this period. I'm looking to assemble British kit so I can start going to events, as well as some DAK stuff, and I'd love to get some advice on where to source kit from and exactly what I need.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 20:00 pm 

Group: 2nd Btln Royal Warwicks
Hi Sam,

Welcome to the world of weapons that you don't (always) have to hit people with. If you feel nostalgic at any point then the British Entrenching tool is quite good as a clobbering stick :wink:

Where are you based?

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 0:19 am 

Hey Shifty,

I'll keep that one in mind although as a halberdier I might find myself fixing bayonet for a bit of polearm work as well. :P

I'm based in Leeds at the moment, but for how long depends on whether I get research grant to further my work.

My main focus at the moment is acquiring uniform although it's a slow process, since I don't want to be getting neck-deep into WW2 stuff, buying all brand-new kit and throwing down tons of money, without knowing whether I'm going to enjoy it yet. (Like any re-enactment period really).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:00 pm 

Try the NoI MkIII SMLE rifle with bayonet, that one will be more to your taste I think :wink:

When I got started I joined a local group who gave me a taster session at an event with them and lent me kit to try it out, might be a good way to dip your toe as it were.

I'd offer you in with us but we're Midlands based so think it might be a bit far for you to come, have a look at our website though as it's got a kitlist on there, although the kitlist will be dependent on the era you choose to represent.

http://www.royalwarwicks.com/

A good group to touch base with would be the East Yorkshire Regiment group, they're your neck of the woods and a very well established group.

Kit wise if you are able to travel, Stoneleigh Militaria show is at the end of the month and is a great place to have a look round for a bit of shopping (of various eras but predominantly WW1 & 2) and meet like minded lunatics :)

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:25 pm 

That sounds like my sort of thing, 'they don't like it up 'em' and all that. :D

Yeah, that's the way I'm working with it at the moment. I'm acquiring the basics, tunic, trousers, etc, and one of my mates said he can lend me out some webbing and rifle for whatever show we end up going to.

I had a quick gander at the kitlist and it seems pretty much the same as what I've been told to get by my mate, I think his unit is DLI but I can't remember. I just know he was pointing me at 37 and 40 pat stuff, of which I've acquired some of the clothing items over the last few weeks.

I'll try and get in touch with them, hopefully I can get some good pointers.

I might see if I can get down there. I know from ordering my medieval kit that getting weapons online isn't necessarily the best way to get good quality (or price), so heading to a show might be a good shout.

I'm looking for a DAK tunic at the moment, do you perchance have any idea where might be the best place to source one?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:21 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/army-m40-d ... product,88

I'm not sure thats "the best", but its certainly one option.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 15:36 pm 

It's a good show so if you can make it down it's worth it. (drop me a message if you fancy saying hello whilst your there)

DAK stuff is not my strongpoint but there are plenty of people on here that will be able to help :)

Soldier of Fortune are generally a good place to at least get started and get an idea for price for any kit as they have a wide range. I get all my BD from them and, although there are higher quality vendors which are more expensive, Soldier of Fortune have done me alright and theirs has matched an original set I used to have quite nicely, some just need a bit of work.

As a note of caution I would advise buying from them in person (they will be at Stoneleigh) rather than ordering online as their sizing can be quite asquew.

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 18:39 pm 

I'll definitely keep it in mind, it really just depends on my workload. Unfortunately the end of this month is also the end of research grant applications, so I need to get all that sorted out before I can think about travelling to shows.

I hope so, would it be worth me posting something about it in a different section?

I acquired my first set of DAK pants from SoF, and they weren't half bad (except for all the loose thread ends). I've checked the uniform guide, and they're up to spec and comfy, so I might just get my tunic from them as well, although they bizarrely don't seem to stock the olive green early-pattern shirts with them.

If I can I'll try and get it from them in person.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 22:21 pm 

Good luck with the grant application!

Try the Axis section towards the bottom of the main forum, that'd be the area to find all the nasty Germans :wink:

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 0:10 am 

Cheers, if it goes through I might actually end up posting the forthcoming research up here, since my specialty is in tank and mechanised unit development in the British army.

I'll look there, maybe I can find some sour krauts. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:57 pm 

That sounds awesome! (the tank but not the sour kraut bit YUK! :lol: )

If you can get about £250k then you can buy a Sherman, I'll happily volunteer to crew it :wink:

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 14:23 pm 

Sadly I don't think the grant gives me that much (although a man can dream) - maybe I can buy a model Sherman with it. Not that I don't have enough of those lying around...

New BD arrived today, so now begins the quest to find ammo boots that fit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:32 am 

Rather than spam up your welcome thread I'll PM you :wink:

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 17:24 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Summer of 44 LHG, 1st Airlanding Light Regt RA
Shifty wrote:

If you can get about £250k then you can buy a Sherman,

Gold Plated?

1942 M3A1 White Scout Car
1942 M4A4 VC Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 16:42 pm 

For a mint condition runner that was about the going price on Millweb. Would be nice to think their cheaper but either way still can't afford one :wink:

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 20:28 pm 

If only there were Cromwells available at such prices... Although really I'd take any tank I could get, just the Sherman's not really my favourite.