WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:33 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Hello :-)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 18:42 pm 

Hi, I'm Maria and I'm new to re-enacting (eek!), having been bitten by the bug at a couple of recent events - Solent Overlord and 'War on the Line' at the Watercress Line in Hampshire.

I went along to these events as I'm a keen photographer and a friend suggested it might be something different. Well, I have to say I was utterly delighted with my visits, every re-enactor I spoke to (apart from one grumpy old general) was delighted to have their pic taken, but the thing that really made me want to become involved myself, was that everyone had their own little snippet of history to share and their own story to tell - It brought WWII to life for me and (this may sound daft) but the realities of what people had to deal with and suffer became tangible and real instead of a second hand story.

My father fought in WWII but sadly died of a heart attack when I was 22, some 27 years ago now... and I was never interested in anything he had to say (as you never are at that age), which I have regrets about now as I'd love to hear about his life and experiences.

Anyway, I'm just going to 'dip my toe' as a civilian lady (a rather cowardly one!) and I've acquired a couple of bits & bobs and something to wear - I feel a bit shy about sharing with you as I'm sure I've got it wrong, but we all learn by our mistakes and I'm happy to get pointers and be nudged in the right direction....

Thanks
Maria

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Hello :-)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 18:44 pm 

Group: 2nd Armoured In Europe
Welcome Maria............hope you enjoy your stay on here and don't be afraid to ask a question. Some very knowledgeable ladies on here on the "civvy" circuit that im sure will help you.

Regards

Lloyd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 18:53 pm 

2ad82recon wrote:
Welcome Maria............hope you enjoy your stay on here and don't be afraid to ask a question. Some very knowledgeable ladies on here on the "civvy" circuit that im sure will help you.

Regards

Lloyd

Thank you Lloyd :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 18:59 pm 

Group: Independant
Hope you have fun and don't be shy to try the services!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 19:17 pm 

Group: Civil Defenders
Welcome. And, yes, we all started somewhere. Friendly bunch, reenactors mostly. Do ask questions. Where are you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 19:48 pm 

lanayca wrote:
Hope you have fun and don't be shy to try the services!

Thank you! I'd love to try the services, but as good quality uniforms are so expensive, I'd like to try civilian first and perhaps progress to investing in something more appropriate as I ease myself in ;)

obt48 wrote:
Welcome. And, yes, we all started somewhere. Friendly bunch, reenactors mostly. Do ask questions. Where are you?

Thanks for the welcome - I'm in the New Forest, I'm hoping to go to the South Devon Railway WWII weekend early June

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:36 pm 

Group: 2nd Btln Royal Warwicks
Hi Maria,

Welcome to the looney bin :)

If you wanted to learn more about your father it's definitely worth investigating, would you happen to know if he was with Army, Navy or RAF?

As regards to getting in wrong, when I first started (some 11 years ago) everything I had was wrong or needed improvement so don't worry about that. This forum is a great place to get answers to your kit or history based questions (along with recommended suppliers).

Good luck with your impression

Shift

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 20:34 pm 

Shifty wrote:
Hi Maria,

Welcome to the looney bin :)

If you wanted to learn more about your father it's definitely worth investigating, would you happen to know if he was with Army, Navy or RAF?

As regards to getting in wrong, when I first started (some 11 years ago) everything I had was wrong or needed improvement so don't worry about that. This forum is a great place to get answers to your kit or history based questions (along with recommended suppliers).

Good luck with your impression

Shift

Thanks Will, my dad had a bit of an interesting history - he was born in Poland in 1927, conscripted to work at the Mercedes Factory in Germany by the Reich as a young teenage lad, escaped as a stowaway on a Swedish ship (I only found this out a few months ago), was in the Tank Corps (Poland I believe) and ended up in the Polish Free Army Based at Thorney Pits army camp in Wiltshire... Where he met my mum... etc etc
My dad died about 27 years ago, however, it's now that I'm wishing I'd listened to his war stories and appreciated what he went through as a young man.

Thank you for commenting, I'd love to find out more, no idea where to start!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 21:06 pm 

Here's me at the Watercress line, photo copyright © David Stephen Kiddle 2016

Hope it shows, as I'm not sure how to post images yet!

ImageWatercress Line-20160618-3850 by Maria L, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 22:18 pm 

Group: 4th Dorsets HQ Coy (self nominated membership).
Excellent photo Maria, captures the spirit so well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 22:44 pm 

Group: 2nd Btln Royal Warwicks
Hi Maria, great photo :)

I'm sure there are free Polish veterans associations or museums that might well be worth contacting, failing that contact to the Imperial War Museum, just a quick dig looks like 1st Polish Armoured division, the Polish Independent Parachute Birgade, the 4th Infantry Division, and the 16th Independent Armoured Brigade. Just a very brief bit of research (I apolgise if any of this is incorrect, Polish forces is not my strong point).

Wish you the best of luck in your search

Shift

www.royalwarwicks.com