WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:35 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:12 am 

Hi folks hoping you guys and girls can help..
My wife and I have only recently discovered the forties reenactment/promenading scene. We normally just go civilian, but I like to go British officer (Army, Navy or Airforce) but haven't a clue as to where to get kit or what specific bits I need, this isn't helped by the fact I'm not what you'd call slim and svelte - 42" waist and 52" chest :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what, where and how much.....

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Ashley and Carole Hedges

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 16:37 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
It's best to decide and research rather than just picking a branch of service to be honest. Might be good to go and have a think about it and start to research your chosen 'role'. Uniform is a minefield, lots of people will sell you any old tat.
Depends on how much you want to spend, how 'right' you want to be..whether based on size etc what's appropriate for age/rank.
There is good repro out there, but it comes at a high price.
Which branch of service appeals and why? It's good to know something of the background of the men you're portraying. Happy to help once you've decided on what you'd like to portray.

Kate

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 20:08 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Miss Spitfire wrote:
It's best to decide and research rather than just picking a branch of service to be honest. Might be good to go and have a think about it and start to research your chosen 'role'. Uniform is a minefield, lots of people will sell you any old tat.
Depends on how much you want to spend, how 'right' you want to be..whether based on size etc what's appropriate for age/rank.
There is good repro out there, but it comes at a high price.
Which branch of service appeals and why? It's good to know something of the background of the men you're portraying. Happy to help once you've decided on what you'd like to portray.

Kate

Comrade Shock poster Miss Spitfire,

Word.

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:50 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
I trust my comment falls within state norms.

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 17:40 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Harry & Edna on the Wireless
From memory there is a group call Allied Assortment in Milk & Beans who may be able to help you.

Or (plug) you could always listen to Harry & Edna on the Wireless, the vintage radio show which comes from sunny MK

http://www.homefrontfriends.org.uk/wireless

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 22:09 pm 

Welcome to the forums! I would like to suggest WPG as a supplier; I have had nothing but great luck with them. Their products are accurate and hold up very much the same way as the originals did. If you are looking for the best there is, made in England, hand-crafted by a master in his field, I would like to kindly suggest turning to Mr. Knight of Khaki on Campaign. His products are the very best!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:55 am 

Thank you all for the assistance....lots to think about:)