WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:32 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: 44 kit
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 20:52 pm 

Hi, been away from the re-enacting scene for a while but back with a bang. Not neccesarily re-enacting but indulging in my passion for WW2. I have built my man cave in the garden and am looking to pick the brains of you learned fellows as regard kit for the two dummies i have in place in said man cave. I have a passion for 44 (not to take away from from the events and lads who fought in the preceding five years). The two dummies I have I want kitted out in 1944 garb. One is representing the Ox & Bucks paras from Pegasus bridge and the other representing the 50th Division at Gold beach. What general kit would these guys wear? Please don't play me down with elitist comments, like i should know said things. I have researched a lot and get a lot of contradiction, so i came to the font of knowledge, who would know better than yourselves.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: 44 kit
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:21 am 

Group: Civil Defenders
Are you familiar with the Karkee Web site? For '37 pattern (which would still be being mostly used in 1944) see: http://www.karkeeweb.com/1937main.html. For '44 pattern, see: http://www.karkeeweb.com/1944main.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:10 am 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
obt48 wrote:
Are you familiar with the Karkee Web site? For '37 pattern (which would still be being mostly used in 1944) see: http://www.karkeeweb.com/1937main.html. For '44 pattern, see: http://www.karkeeweb.com/1944main.html

Sorry if this sounds a little harsh obt48 - but did you actually read Graybenham's post?
He want's info on kit used in the year '44, in Europe, not 44 patt' webbing!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:15 am 

Group: Civil Defenders
Oops. Written in haste. You're quite right of course.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:52 am 

For 1944 you can't go wrong with P37 kit. Exactly what components were used will partly have depended on specific functions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:21 am 

Group: 2nd Btln Royal Warwicks
Hi Graham, we portray D-Day +1 infantry on Sword so the kit (infantry wise) will be the same, para/ glider wise there are quite a few airborne groups to check out for info. Here's our website that has an equipment section with original and modern pictures of kit carried and what was carried in it

http://www.royalwarwicks.com/

Hope that helps!

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 18:42 pm 

Cheers people for your prompt and informative replies. I have managed to get hold of a dennison, a mk2 sten, Ammo boots, the beret and Ox & bucks insignia as a starting point for the 6th airborne dummy. I got the BD trousers but even though measured correctly I could have got my wife in there with me. The D-Day gear for the 50th division is up for decision making as I cant find anywhere where i can purchase the ensemble, or general ensemble from one place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 18:49 pm 

I understand getting the 37 battledress is ok, but for accuracy sake would it be better to get the later versions? If so, where would be the best place to purchase it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 21:40 pm 

37 and 40 ptn is fine mate, and a mix of the two works fine as well. I used to wear an original blouse with some Soldier of Fortune trousers and they looked good, since then I've got all my BD from SoF (but if you get 37 ptn you will need to probably replace the metal buttons as they tend to cut themselves free from their stitching). Places like Panther Stores do very good quality BD but it is more expensive and is totally personal preference. Price wise SoF is cheapest for quality but I would buy from them in person rather than online as their sizes are pretty weird. Insignia I would recommend Montys Locker as their stuff is spot on and good quality.

Kit wise you will be lucky to find everything including contents from one source in one purchase, I've had to build up mine over time. The most cost effective I found was to buy at militaria shows and you can get original, even if it's not war dated. Soldier of Fortune are doing a repro set for a little cheaper which is pre coloured but, personally, I wouldn't use it. If you're looking for specific items posting you can post in the Wanted section on here or to Facebook pages online. Are there any particular items you're looking for initially?

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 19:27 pm 

Thanks mate....much appreciated comments. Went ahead with SoF and got the battledress, plus a few bits and pieces as you do

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 22:46 pm 

No worries, yeah this hobby is horrifically easy to spend money on :lol:

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 21:56 pm 

Hi, I have the uniform. Boy do I have a lot to learn. How the bejeebus did the troops wear these garments. So uncomfortable. The trousers fit on the waist but are really long and the jacket though fitting round the chest sits high up. Im sure the boys who wore these found ways round the awkwardness of the kit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 17:38 pm 

:lol: yeah British Army one size fits nobody! The trousers will need a set of braces to hold them up you will find 3 sets of double buttons, left, right and back for them. For comfort I can recommend the post war grey elastic braces, if you're going full on authentic (and uncomfortable) then white cloth ones are correct.

The trousers come up to around the belly button or just above, with your wool undershirt tucked in as much as it will go. The jacket (blouse) then goes over the top and will button at the back to the trousers (the buttons on the trousers back, outside of the trousers, the holes at the back of the BD blouse) but you may need to adjust the buttons so they line up with the blouse holes.

Hope that's of use?

If you're planning to wear them a bit and find them very itchy their are ways to address that, also did you get 37 or 40 ptn?

www.royalwarwicks.com