WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 14:41 pm 

thanks. Ill try to wait, but I live in Argentina, these things take a while to come here (plus I dont have a credit card Gross Gott!!
Even more questions: did coastal artilery crews used anklets and M1943 tunics in the latter stages of the war? my main interests are the coastal arty. regiments at Walcheren by the time of the British landing on Nov 1944.
also, what garment could be used in the mediterranean? was the Kriegsmarine tunic used for this kind of duty? I show you a pic of what I mean.
Finally: what protective garment did the gun crews used?
thanks a lot Kameraden

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 15:31 pm 
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Group: Second Devons (UK), Grossdeutscheland (USA)
Frost_2Para wrote:
thanks. Ill try to wait, but I live in Argentina, these things take a while to come here (plus I dont have a credit card Gross Gott!!
Even more questions: did coastal artilery crews used anklets and M1943 tunics in the latter stages of the war? my main interests are the coastal arty. regiments at Walcheren by the time of the British landing on Nov 1944.
also, what garment could be used in the mediterranean? was the Kriegsmarine tunic used for this kind of duty? I show you a pic of what I mean.
Finally: what protective garment did the gun crews used?
thanks a lot Kameraden

Taking from the Channel Islands viewpoint not many M43 tunics were seen (if any). Low boots did make an appearance but were the exception rather than the rule.

Most of the local guys made do and mended their M40 and M38 tunics and marching boots which were becoming well worn as time passed.

In the Med and other warm weather areas tropical clothing were normal.

Finally for protective clothing, gun crews wore a type of fatigue uniform which was white or green Linen or HBT material and buttoned down the front.

Here are a couple of photos from my website you might find interesting:

There are over 600 photos in the Gallery of http://www.marineartillery.com

You heard the latest phrase? - "Utility Nickers" - ............one yank and they're off

"If anyone wants to do this seriously, then they can found their own re-enactment group"
Michael Ginns, 10 February 2006

http://www.marineartillery.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:36 am 

Firstly: your place is awesome, so are the pictures. Second, i got a little bit confused when some pictures show coastal gun crews wearing sailors uniforms and with their "donald duck" written "marineartillerie". Why? did they belong to different units?
second, whats the tunic shown with the slashed pockets in the skirt?
I attack a drawing showing a port defende in Nort Africa, the one i comment on last reply
Finally: what would a harbor defence force wuold use: field grey uniforms of sailor one (jumpers, pea jacket and so)?
thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:20 am 
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Frost_2Para wrote:
Firstly: your place is awesome, so are the pictures. Second, i got a little bit confused when some pictures show coastal gun crews wearing sailors uniforms and with their "donald duck" written "marineartillerie". Why? did they belong to different units?
second, whats the tunic shown with the slashed pockets in the skirt?
I attack a drawing showing a port defende in Nort Africa, the one i comment on last reply
Finally: what would a harbor defence force wuold use: field grey uniforms of sailor one (jumpers, pea jacket and so)?
thanks again

Hi Guillermo,

Glad you like the website.

It is quite common to see Coastal Artillery wearing either the traditional navy "Blue" uniform or the "Fieldgray" with pre-war units from 1936 onwards. They are not part of any different type of formation - they are all Coastal Artillery. It was still regularly seen upto 1941/42/43 when I imagine supply problems overtook the desire to provide so many different uniforms. From then there was more importance attached to the Fieldgrey uniform.

It is one of the challenges in reenacting Coastal Artillery in that you need to have so many uniforms! But there is nothing smarter than the whole unit turned out in their navy "blue" uniforms for parade or an evening event.

Fieldgrey tunics for the Navy Coastal Artillery differed from regular Wehrmacht tunics in one area. The Bottom front two pockets. In Wehrmacht tunics they are sewn on the outside in exactly the same way as the top two brest pockets (just slightly larger). On Coastal Artillery tunics the bottom two pockets are INSIDE the tunic and only the flaps of the bottom pockets show. Sometimes if those flaps are tucked inside the pocket, the bottom pocket will look like a slash pocket. The only other German units with tunics pockets like this were the SS-VT.

I've seen examples of regular tunics mixed with Coastal Arty tunics, and examples with the pocket flaps tucked in, and left out, so you have to remember these are just "general" rules. There are exceptions everywhere.

In Europe, Harbour Protection was the responsibility of the regular Kriegsmarine (not Coastal Artillery) so Harbour Protection units would have worn the regular "blue" uniform and not the Field Gray.

My knowledge of the regulations for wear of tropical uniforms is not so good. From photos I have seen that standards seem to vary widely and I guess depended on what could be obtained. I know Kriegsmarine units often wore tropical Luftwaffe uniforms with KM insignia (Land-based and ocean-based units) but I am less certain on tropical uniform habits.

From the picture you attached that looks like a HBT tunic?

You heard the latest phrase? - "Utility Nickers" - ............one yank and they're off

"If anyone wants to do this seriously, then they can found their own re-enactment group"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 14:34 pm 

Thanks

So, what you re telling me (as you can see, I'm a slow learner) is that one can find in a same unit KM and Heer tuncis as well? Most of the pics oin your site shows reencators using the Heer type one. Isnt also the KM tunic a little bit shorter? the period photos show them like that.
The drawing show a rather stiff tunic, not as smooth as I suppose the HTB must be, but it could be a problem from the author (it's a drawing anyway) but the greenish shade matches (better than the greyish tunics from you photos at Jersey). It also woul make sence considering that the lad is in North Africa.
Third: did officers' tunics has black necks?
and finally: doen anyone have some sort of blueprint or drawing or whatever of castle Cornet, at St Peter Port, Guernsey and of the Guernesy Airport (ww2 vinteg please)
im enormously grateful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:46 pm 
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Frost_2Para wrote:
Thanks

So, what you re telling me (as you can see, I'm a slow learner) is that one can find in a same unit KM and Heer tuncis as well? Most of the pics oin your site shows reencators using the Heer type one. Isnt also the KM tunic a little bit shorter? the period photos show them like that.
The drawing show a rather stiff tunic, not as smooth as I suppose the HTB must be, but it could be a problem from the author (it's a drawing anyway) but the greenish shade matches (better than the greyish tunics from you photos at Jersey). It also woul make sence considering that the lad is in North Africa.
Third: did officers' tunics has black necks?
and finally: doen anyone have some sort of blueprint or drawing or whatever of castle Cornet, at St Peter Port, Guernsey and of the Guernesy Airport (ww2 vinteg please)
im enormously grateful

Actually mostly the KM tunics with the inside pockets would have prevelent, but as reenactors if we chopped our tunics around like that we could never use them for anything else! What we wear in our unit is not wrong, but is less common.

You often see tailored Tunics around with slightly shorter tunics and more rounded pocket scallop flaps, those are quite common too.

Officers tunics never had black collars. Early tunics had bottle green collars but that was phased out in 1940 in favour of field gray. Of course plenty of stocks remained of the dark green collars and they were issued throught the war so you'll often see a mix of collar types in photos.

Cheers,

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 14:58 pm 

Oh, Thanks a lot.
So a typical coastal arty crew shold be depicted with slashed pockets, even if it is from 1941, 42 or 44.
How about Marnie Divisions, didi they used slashed pockets?
Anythng about Cornet or Guernesey?

Regards

Post subject: Re: Coastal Artillery
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 18:19 pm 

Greetings,
I'm trying to find out how would a coastal artillery personnel would look like in late 1944, would they still be wearing jackboots, or were they phased out in favour of gaiters and shoes? plus, did the KM tunic suffered the same changes as the Heer one (i mean the pocket pleats, use of open necks, etc) or would be still the same with the pleated lower pockets? Im particularry looking for uniforms worn by Walcheren defenders.
I add a picture from the IWM collection, from Walcheren, I believe these POW are from KM coastal artillery batteries (there were a lot of them in Walcheren)

Cheers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:37 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: 39-45 Histoire Vivante
Great topic !
About the belt buckle, what was worn ? The gold KM one or the same in feldgrau ?
Thanks !

SPECIAL FORCES REENACTORS - Oui, la ruse est finaude !

http://www.3945hv.com
http://sflhg.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 16:20 pm 

The gold KM one
You're welcome