WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 20:01 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 21:10 pm 

Okay so it’s not massive but it’s our restoration project. Myself and my brother bought this Dodge in 2005 and have slowly been restoring it back to original condition. Last year we purchased the correct pattern tyres (or should that be tires?) and this year we are going to repaint and repair where necessary the ambulance.

One of the first jobs that was undertaken was to carefully measure and then trace the original markings before rubbing the ambulance down. These markings had been applied by the previous owner and they had told us that they had discovered the markings when they removed the Norwegian paint that it had previously been painted in.

Here the ambulance markings and small red crosses above the windscreen are being traced. Although stencil sets are available I am aiming to create my own set based on the original specifications for marking vehicles.

Almost every inch of the Dodge has been photographed before we started to take bits off, just in case we couldn’t remember what went where!

Once we were reasonably satisfied that everything had been recorded we began to rub down the vehicle.

We were hoping to find the original WW2 markings underneath the modern paint but as areas were rubbed down all we were finding was bare metal.

Fortunately the hood numbers were visible after rubbing down so we can confirm the military registration of our ambulance.

This allows us to fill in a few details on the history of our vehicle. It was built in August / September of 1942 to contract number W398-QM-11422 and was shipped to England. It seems probable that it was never assigned to a unit as when we bought it the ambulance had very low mileage. It was then sold to the Norwegian army who retained it as a reserve ambulance in a similar manner to how Green Goddesses were retained in this country. It was purchased from Norway in 2004 and driven to Essex where we purchased it in 2005.

The Dodge has been booked in to our Uncle’s workshop this week, so we have stripped as many bits off as possible and prepared as many areas as we can prior to moving the vehicle in. Among the items removed are the pioneer tool rack, jerry can holders and spare wheel. We had both decided when we bought the Dodge that the spare would never be used and it looks as though most previous owners have thought that as well as once we had removed the wheel the original colours were visible again.

The main reason we had decided not to use the spare, is that it is over 60 years old and probably would not last long on the road. However it makes a nice talking point on the Dodge with its WD stamp.

One other item that we are going to fit during the restoration is an original siren, this way we can really annoy people during the vehicle parades!
Here we have marked out the location for the siren and Steven is preparing to drill from underneath while I helpfully check it is in the correct place and take photos!

On Monday the serious business of stripping many removable parts of the Dodge began, we started with a complete ambulance in the morning and by the afternoon it looked as though it had been left parked in a car park in Luton too long, with no wheels and many bits missing!

The front bumper and radiator guard were removed although the bumper did cause a bit a head scratching as two bolts were hidden beneath the towing horns.

The side steps were also removed to allow Steven to get access to remove a couple of panels that were turning to rust. Here is the procedure for removing a riveted on panel…

Firstly the head is drilled out slightly smaller than the main body of the rivet. This is to allow for inevitable error in drilling

The tail of the rivet is then punched out

This then allows the head to fall off and be removed. The plate will then come free…

…If it doesn’t come free – then try grinding any noticeable welds…

Now the plate will come free… in theory…

We now know that Dodge were very meticulous in their construction of the ambulances and as well as riveting these useless plates on they also spot welded them in five locations. Once these areas have been drilled (and extra drain holes added in the process!) then the plate (or what is left of it) does finally come free.

One of our main aims in restoring the Dodge is to return it to authentic World War Two condition. As part of this we are trying to research its original colours and remove any items that the Norwegians added when it was in service with them. Today we stripped some more paint from the sides and back to find that the red crosses are approximately correct, although the white areas appear to be much larger underneath.

We have also removed the Norwegian siren and associated wiring. This is the engine bay before, the sirens are located at the back.

This is part of the wiring behind the dash we had to contend with.

And this is the engine bay with it all removed. Doesn’t it look empty?!

As of today (Tuesday) outwardly not much has changed. However the chassis has been largely degreased with only a little area right underneath to do tomorrow and some of the fiddly areas have been rubbed down by hand. We will hopefully start rubbing down the larger areas with the DA tomorrow.

While cleaning the areas a couple of interesting areas were found.
Markings on the rear hub, we don’t know what they are but assume that they were put there in Norwegian service.

The original serial number.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 21:20 pm 
2000+ Poster

WOW very nice yes i agree with tacking photos of stuff before you take it off. I restor Ex army landrovers and the proces is much the same you never know what your going to find under neath the paint. Keep up the good work

http://southstaffswaterarchives.org.uk/ ... 0Years.pdf

Collecting officers service dress and OR/EM uniforms of the following,
Worcestershire regiment 2nd div 7th battalion
USMC dress blues and winter greens
USN pto uniforms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 22:06 pm 

Superb! Mine is looking similar at the moment, just deciding wether or not to use Red oxide primer or zinc based primer - you guys look like you know what yuo are doing so which would you use?

All the best on your project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 0:33 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: The One and Only Normandy 44
Great pictures, gl with your project guys.

regards

Steve www.501para.net

I haven't shot anyone since 1992 and even then I didn't do it...............Mark.. "Chopper".. Read

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:40 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FHF / 150th Engineer Combat Battalion, XIIth Corps
Bloody good job guys! Thos pannels on the bottom of the wings are a bugger to get off - we had the same problem when we did ours.

Can't wait for the next set of photos.

Ashley

www.reenactor.se (Essex Regt.)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org (150th Engineer Combat Battalion)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 22:16 pm 

Thanks for all the supprt guys. I think we need it! :shock:

It is now halfway through the week and in theory the Dodge should be nearing completion. What is it they say about the best laid plans?...

Today we finished degreasing the underneath – I don’t think it was ever this clean even when it left the factory!

We then rubbed down the ambulance body. It would take ages by hand but using a DA makes the job much quicker. There are still a few hard to reach areas to do tomorrow, but the majority is now done.
During this process we discovered a few more markings and solved a mystery that was puzzling us.

The original US Medical Corps markings were much smaller than the present ones.

The mystery of the over sized white areas underneath the paint has now been solved. By rubbing back one of the areas where we knew the white squares ended, we found that the white had been painted first and then the green was painted over the top. Not what we expected!

Several major dings and scrapes were knocked out and filled, however we are leaving some as it probably didn’t leave the factory in pristine condition!

Finally for today, the worst areas of rust were tackled, although there is more work to do on this tomorrow.
The rust in the gutter is ground out

This is one of the holes that are left!

This is then treated with a special rust inhibiting compound (also known as hammerite ;) )

And finally, is this what is meant by a dirty phone call?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 23:02 pm 

OK, the story so far…

Lots of corrosion has been found in the roof panels, right wing and left door. This has been cut out, here is the procedure with the door

A new piece of metal is then fitted and welded into position

This is then ground off and filled to provide a smooth continuation of the door

The roof has also had new strips of metal welded into place to replace the rusted areas

Again this is filled and rubbed down to match in with the existing areas

The wings follow a similar procedure with a new piece of metal let in to the hole left by the rust on the right wing. New plates are made to cover where the originals were and these are then drilled to match the existing holes. It is then fitted into position using coach bolts with heads similar to the original rivets. This will allow us to remove these plates in the future to check and treat any further corrosion.

By now Friday was fast coming to an end and no sign of any paint yet! We had to refit the wheels and unmask the windows again to move the Dodge into the spray booth.

Saturday morning started well with a final check over to ensure all areas were ready for putting on the primer, during this final rub down another clue to the history of the Dodge was found on the drivers door. Unfortunately we just didn’t have enough time to uncover any more writing which now lays beneath old paint and new filler!
It looks like it may say ‘rebuilt by’, but who and when are at the moment a mystery. Answers on a postcard please…

Once this process had been completed we moved all of the removed parts into a neat pile and then started the Dodge to drive it into the spray booth.

After carefully measuring the ambulance we had guessed that it might just fit into the spray booth with a bit of luck. Very scientific process that. Steven gradually edged the Dodge back towards the booth and then stopped as the roof and vent would foul the roller shutter door. We then let some air out of the rear tyres and nervously edged further back.

After taking out almost all of the air from all of the tyres and weighing down the back as much as possible we managed to get the Dodge into the spray booth. We then remasked up all of the areas that were not to be painted this time and prepared it for priming.

The primer was sprayed on by our Uncle using standard automotive car primer. Unfortunately the spray booth is a bit small for the ambulance so it is a bit difficult to get photos of it in there.

The Dodge was left to dry overnight and on Sunday we then prepared it again for the first top coat. We decided to follow the original colour scheme in applying the white first and then putting on the green, so white was loaded into the spray gun and applied.

Once this had hardened we carefully masked the white squares off and then painted the green. The green on the left is the same colour as the one on the right, it just hasn’t been mixed yet. This is the closed colour match we could get for the original colour of the ambulance.

The masked areas were then uncovered to prevent the masking tape sticking too well, however the paint was too wet to contemplate moving the Dodge on Sunday.

Unfortunately we have had to return to our ‘real’ jobs this week, so my Uncle was given a crash course in how to start the Dodge and move it from the spray booth today. Several areas still need painting including the red crosses, the stencilled markings, the wheels and all of the pieces that we removed. However the bulk of the work is now completed including the chassis as well as the main body. Further updates will be posted as work continues, now all we need is somewhere undercover to keep the Dodge!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:07 am 

Jesus guys! GOOD WORK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 13:43 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: This god dammed war - I just wanna get back to Knoxville!
Group: Groupy's Grumpy's & Ranger Re-enactments.
Hay Fella's!

Keep up the good work guys - she looks fantastic!

These pic's bring back SO many memories of restoring mine...i know just what your going through gents...keep going - its worth all the hard work in the end!!!

I will try to e-mail you some photos of when i was doing Dorethy for you to compare yours with...oh, and if you need any help or advice, you know where i am!

Best Wishes...Minty.

Ranger Re-enactments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 13:32 pm 

Cheers Minty, spent another day on it on mon think every bit is rubbed down now, just a bit to do on the bumper, then spray the bits put them all together and try and find somewhere undercover to store it :D hopefully it'll be finished this weekend, hopefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 18:32 pm 

Group: FSSF/MTO LHG
Sweet Baby, that looks awesome gents, you and your uncle have done an outstanding job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 21:39 pm 

Group: 2nd Armoured In Europe
Crikey Ferg..........what an outstanding job..well done mate.

Uncle Phils takings musta been down this week.he seems to have been awfully busy doing "other things"......:-)

Great job boys

Regards

Lloyd

Post subject: WC54
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:02 am 
 WWW  Profile

Looks like one hell of a good job.
Any chance of booking mine in ? :D

Tim

102nd Cavalry

http://www.paras10.com/index.php
http://blesma.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 19:20 pm 
 WWW  Profile

thank you for sharing those pics!

always like to see such reports!

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 15:02 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Forward To Victory
Nice one, guys,
One question, you say you picked up the tyres,............where did you get them from, I'm looking for at least one of that size (900x16) for my MW.

Cheers for sharing those pic's with us.

Andy

Sussex Home Guard and Civilian LDV

ARP/Civil Defence

AFS
NFS
(NFS overseas, work in progress)

Tommy, WW1 ........work in progress

Never forgetting the sacrifices made, by many, so's I can live the way I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 13:26 pm 

Thanks for all the comments everybody, and believe it or not Lloyd Phil was actually on other vehicles 'most' of the time, :o Hopefully this weekend should see the end of it all? As monday i'm off shift, we'll see. The tyres were from Dallas autos, good price and they look good. Not sure what markings we're going for still, any suggestions was 29th 104th might stick with this, might not. :D