WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:13 pm 

Group: W.R.A
hi guys im wondering would it be common for fallschirmjager when they were in Russia to pick up mosin nagants ??

(sorry im asking allot lately )

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:26 pm 

This question had been asked before (but about Heer), so I think they would have kept their own.

''Keep your eyes wide open. Tune yourself to the top most pitch. Be nimble as a greyhound, as tough as leather, as hard as Krupp steel and so you shall be the German warrior incarnate.'' - Fallschirmjäger Commandments No.10.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:50 pm 

ok and im also wondering would russian weapons that have being captured be used in normandy ive seen the odd photo with a infantry man with a ppsh but im not sure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 13:10 pm 

As quoted in Steven E Ambroses' Citizen Soldiers...

''Indeed, the Fallschirmjäger were perhaps the best armed infantrymen in the world in 1944. The 3rd FMJ had 930 LMG, eleven times as many as US 29th. Rifle companies had 20 MG42s and 43 SMG; US 29th had 2 MGs and 9 BARs. Squads had 2 MG42s and 3 SMG, US 29TH squads had 1 BAR......they had six to twenty times more firepower''.

Draw your own conclusions.

''Keep your eyes wide open. Tune yourself to the top most pitch. Be nimble as a greyhound, as tough as leather, as hard as Krupp steel and so you shall be the German warrior incarnate.'' - Fallschirmjäger Commandments No.10.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 13:43 pm 

that doesn't really answer my question ??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 13:46 pm 

Why take Soviet weapons to Normandy when you are already well equipped?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 13:47 pm 

I would doubt very much it was common but not impossible, they were good weapons with a high magazine capacity. However could the ammunition be easily sourced in Normandy. An MP40, K98 or MG42 would be your best bet for portraying the average Fallschirjager in Normandy, Italy or Russia.

Last edited by Olly on Sun Sep 30, 2012 15:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 14:24 pm 

ok thanks and im struggling to find a mp40/k98/mg42 im ordering my p38 soon but thats it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 17:06 pm 

Group: 502nd Dog Company PIR
82ndallamerican wrote:
ok thanks and im struggling to find a mp40/k98/mg42 im ordering my p38 soon but thats it

See loads of deac MP40s and K98s around at shows, get yourself to some shows and look around!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:52 am 

Group: Feldgendamerie Trupp 179 (mot) (Luftwaffe)
I have seen pics of fallshy units using the russian smgs, but usualy on near the end of the campaign, why would they use nagants when they had perfectly good rifles, the only reason to take a captured smg is rate of fire.

Luftwaffe Feldgendarmerie
Freezing at work

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:53 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Where would you get the 7.62x25mm (Tokarev) rounds in Normandy in the quantities needed?
Well, the Mauser 7.63x25mm might work? It did.
Captured PPSh-41s were issued and designated MP717(r) if shooting 7.62/7.63 or MP41(r) if converted to 9x19mm para, there are even German language manuals...
I cant say I've seen anything to suggest they were issued to FJR though.
I did read a report that Ost battalion troops in Normandy may have had some? Makes sense to issue them a weapon they know.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:06 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 39/45 society.2nd Glosters.
i found russian cases around the bunkers on Utah beach.cant recall what sizes they were now(at work) but they were definatly wartime russian casings.

(brought to you by The British Federation of Fat Blokes)
XX1-The Millwall FC of Re-enactors.No one likes us-we dont care...
Girls,try a fat bloke today.They're not as bad as you think!
BEEN THERE,SEEN IT,DONE IT,GOT THE TEE SHIRT....had to take it back & exchange it for a much larger size...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 13:58 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Osttruppen armed with Soviet weapons.... da!

Loads of photos, loads of (German) TOE's.... and definitely Osties at Utah on D-Day

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:13 pm 

Group: Feldgendamerie Trupp 179 (mot) (Luftwaffe)
well the ostbatallions made up the bulk of the D-day defenders, as for the pic of the fallshy with the smg cant find the dam thing now, it was on a site i found a while back, dont know if he was specificaly issued with it or if he simply aquired it.

Luftwaffe Feldgendarmerie
Freezing at work

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 14:38 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Wouldn't have said they made up the bulk, probably about 20% of the coastline was defended by them across the whole atlantik wall.

Remember also, Osties were lead mainly by German NCO's and all officers were German too.

No Osties with FJ units though and given the way Germans are terribly well organised, I can't imagine that even if the same supply depot they used had Soviet weapons and ammo that they'd be able to draw on it.

Other German-German units were issued with Soviet weapons for coastal defence though - but I'm talking artillery and AA pieces.

Basically, in answer to the original question, its a bit of a fantasy lead by Cross of Iron :) Stick to German weapons for Germany's finest soldiers.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
Andrei Kozlov wrote:
Osttruppen armed with Soviet weapons.... da!

Loads of photos, loads of (German) TOE's.... and definitely Osties at Utah on D-Day

Didn't you once find a meticulous list of Soviet small arms held by an OstBattalion on the Atlantik Wall with the, also meticulous, note that they had no ammunition. :lol:

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein