WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 23:38 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Under the Smock
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 18:30 pm 

Hi,

I have read that the FJ dropped with a bag tucked inside there smocks, so that the parachute lines did not snag on anything, I have also noticed that in many pix they only seem to carry on there belts, a breadbag, a canteen ,pistol and ammunition. What did they carry on a parachute drop and where. Did they carry any personal kit.

Thanks

Ian

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Under the Smock
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 19:11 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: pathfindergroupUK
POCKETS !!!!! :)

They jumped with the the immediate combat eqiup that they needed, A: with the smock over the eqiupment, or B:worn on there belt over the smock.

Alot of eqiupment was also dropped in drop canisters.

The way the RZ chute was designed, it would be very hard for any belt eqiupment to get snagged on the lines.

Dutch B Wing Para course June 24 2010
Driel DZ holland, Sept 18th 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtF47xPBIv0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:50 am 

Thanks Tom,

I am trying to put together a static display of the kit a FJ would have on a drop, ie food, eating irons, razor etc, and how he would carry it.

Regards

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 14:33 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: pathfindergroupUK
The time and theatre can also determine the way men dropped with there eqiupment as someone who has done many jumps would have more experience in the way they carry there kit then someone who is new. I see more earlier war pics of men carrying everything under there smock then i do later on. I.E : i see more in green step in doing this than in a splinter smock regarding this.

Then pictures showing that they arent jumping in with anything apart from belt and suspenders so there personal items and possible food are in pockets or in the drop containers.

Extra items such as razors, kit bags and personal items that usually a frontline soldier would have, would of been brought up by the supply column once the objective had been taken. The individual FJ seemed to of carried alot less items then a american or biritish paratrooper would off.

this is the best place for FJ pics :http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99456

Dutch B Wing Para course June 24 2010
Driel DZ holland, Sept 18th 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtF47xPBIv0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:19 am 

Group: 2nd South Staffords (WW2 LHA)..
On this subject..
I was once lucky enough (when I was doing US Airborne) to get the chance to talk to a German fallschirmjaeger Vet, who was very intrested with the amount of kit that the American Paratroopers were able to actualy jump with... As we had this conversation, he told me that most of the guys from his unit (aquired) extra gas mask bags, and would cram them with as much food and essentials as they could.. and this they would carry (hide) worn low under thier jump smock... Just like any Para... they would take as much as they could carry...
So, yes Ian....they did.... :D
Just like the British that jumped on Arnham.. told to hold for 3 days... but held for 9 ....