WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:14 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 13:03 pm 

I saw a classified ad in this months Classic Military Vehicle magazine looking for a towing winch for a C47, so that it could be used to tow a CG4A glider to Normandy next year.
I have not read anything about this project on any of the Forums, or in the mainstream mags. Sounds amazing, but is it possible given the latest EU restrictions on old aircraft, and the CAA ruling on the Assault Glider Trust that their aircraft could not fly as its design was unsafe( no one mentioned this to my father when he went for a flight in a Horsa).

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about this. The man who placed the ad seems to be a historian with an interest in the 437 TCG, USAAF, based at Ramsbury.

Dave.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 13:40 pm 

Seems a bit unlikely to me that they would let a C47 tow a glider cross the channel as it wasn't exactly safe when it was done originally and the excuse that 'there is a war on' no longer applies. :wink:

I seem to remember somebody telling me that the producers wanted to fly a Horsa for the film The Longest Day, but it was turned down even then as being un-airworthy. :D

When you come to think about it, you don't really have much control over the thing, unlike a smaller more traditional 'sports' glider. Also something like a Horsa or even a Waco will be so heavy that you won't be catching many thermals to keep you aloft and any 'gliding' will be in the form of a controlled crash. :? I know I wouldn't really want to 'fly' in one although I'd would be a great sight to behold. Unfortunately some things can't be repeated, because they were so unsafe, that’s why we don't send our children down coal mines anymore. :D

*EDIT - Maybe I jumped the gun a bit, (See Below) although the key words are...

Quote:
'not necessarily a 100% authentic restoration'

Still, seems like a prime opportunity to write off a nice DC3! Maybe I don’t have the ‘vision’ of others. :wink:

Last edited by nickberry on Sat Jun 28, 2008 13:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 13:49 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Summer of '44
This sounds like John Pappas' US-based DreamFlight project.

Quote:
"The Project – DreamFlight has committed to commemorating the efforts and sacrifices of the WW II Glider Pilots by preparing a WACO CG-4A glider to flyable condition and appearing at the 65th Anniversary of D-Day, 2009. We will ship the CG-4A to England where it will be assembled and flown to Normandy for a landing at one of the LZ’s that were used on D-Day, 1944. Following that event, we will probably appear in Holland for the commemoration ceremonies of Operation Market Garden with a landing by the CG-4A.

Upon completion of our appearances in Europe in 2009, we will fly the C-47 ‘tug’ back to the U.S.A. for, hopefully, appearances at several air shows here to complete the year.

In 2010 we will take the glider to the home air fields (or appropriate nearby air field) of those museums and cities who have contributed to this project for an actual flight presentation of the CG-4A. We will also appear at several major air shows nationwide."

Quote:
"John Pappas of DreamFlight is building a Waco CG-4A glider to actually fly! It's scheduled to land at the 65th anniversary celebration of the Normandy invasion. To my knowledge this will be the first cargo glider to fly overseas since 1948, and stateside since the 1952 shut down of the Wright Patterson Glider Branch.

It will be safe and flyable; not necessarily a 100% authentic restoration. Most parts are original. They are currently in the process of gathering the parts list. He has key major components like wing spars. The floor will not be of the original honeycomb design but of modern materials and construction. Windows will be of modern Plexiglas. A skateboard manufacturer will build the skids. There's obviously as much structural verification as there is just getting ahold of the huge parts list. Original tubes have been gathered --they need to be not only cleaned and carefully inspected for corrosion and damage, but also potentially repaired or replaced. Assembly is taking place in Chino and Corona, California.

First flight may be late 2008 or early 2009. They are discussing with the USAF to transport it inside something like a C-17 over to England in time for the Normandy celebration. Then Holland festivities. Afterwards, at air shows stateside.

They would like to perform the cargo glider snatch pickup. But the key component has not been found: an All American Aviation model 80, model 120, model 160 winch, or its modern equivalent. Everyone that I've been in contact during my snatch pickup research has not seen one in decades.

Pappas is experienced in restoration to flyable condition, and the maintenance of keeping historical aircraft flying. The website for his DC-3 is below, which will be the tow plane. He's in contact with the WWII Glider Pilots Association, and is visiting the various restoration projects around the country including the Silent Wings Museum."

Further info at: http://www.esharethis.com/detail.asp?CatID=95

The US Federal Aviation Authority would be the agency that would decide on issuing certification to both US-based aircraft, whether the CAA has a say on their use in/over the UK I don't know.

http://www.geocities.com/ramc181
http://www.summerof44.org.uk
http://www.geocities.com/paulbellamy194 ... _Page.html

Last edited by RAMC181 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 17:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 17:24 pm 
5000+ Poster

Group: 16PFA / AFRA
fascinating,i hope they can pull this off. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 16:39 pm 

Hi All. Has anyone heard any more of this project. I would assume that it hasnt happened, but if it is going ahead, then the glider and tug should be in UK by now.

By the way, even if this project does not come off, at least one "assault glider" will be towed to Europe this year. Dumfries & Galloway Aviation Museum have been quietly working away on the restoration of a genuine Airspeed Horsa glider fuselage section, which they hope will be a growing exhibit. Currently the have from where the tail would be attached, and 17feet forward. They can get a newmade cockpit and would like to find other sections to build a complete fuselage.
This small museum hosts the only Airborne Museum in Scotland, only a portacabin at present. Obviously, we 7th KOSB reenactors are delighted that this project is in the home area of the battalion.
For the 65th anniversary of Operation Market Garden, the section is being taken to Arnhem/Oosterbeek. Rather than flying behind a Dakota, this piece will be traillered behind a Range Rover.

Sadly if this Museum cannot raise £13,000 by next spring it might be forced to close.

Hope that this is of interest to you. If you are at Arnhem this year, look out for it. Maybe someone could post a picture of it out there?

Dave.