WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:13 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 15:13 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
RGB wrote:
Oggy wrote:
The only thing that messed up the 262 was the engine - only about 10 hours between total rebuild on the Jumo 004s - Now, with the P&W J85 she can reach the full potential.
As a thought, with a re-engine, she should at least have a sub-designation ? (possibly C or D?)
(edit - after checking the website, a small b is added after the designation)

I remember reading somewhere that building the engines was a very skilled job, but was still done by slave labour. the camps were combed for high grade engineers and tecnicians, and they were put to work building the engines from the parts made all over Germany. The blokes knew what they were making and why, and the German supervisors made sure that no sabotage took place, but by assembling small parts just outside of the tolerances given and so impossible to detect without a stripdown, the life of the engines was reduced. The Germans were still puzzling this at the end of the war, and put it all down to new technology teething troubles.

Richard
Possibly, but IMO it could also be put down to the fact that the actual quality of the metal used was not as good as it should have been....

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username