WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:50 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: 75mm Pack Howitzer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 18:40 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: 43rd Recce & The Great War Society
Just a quick question - apart from being used by the 6th Airborne Division in Italy and Arnhem, where else did the Brits use the 75mm Pack Howitzer on the M8 carriage? I was thinking maybe the far east but can't find any information. Any info greatly appreciated, cheers, Rob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roblangham

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 19:48 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It's my understanding that only 6 pounders were used in the Sicily campaign. Both Airborne Divisions used the 75 in Europe. I think any 75s in Burma were carried, in their 'pack' style, by mule.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 20:14 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Cheers, so were the 75mm pack howitzers used in Normandy? All I know of are the 1st Airlanding Light Regiment who saw service in Italy and the Arnhem campaign that used the 75mm Pack Howitzer, be interested in information of any other regiments that used it. Also, would any 75's in Burma have the wooden wheels and simpler carriage, or the M8 carriage like used by the British Airborne?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 17:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

53rd(Worcestershire Yeomanry) Light Regt RA had their 75s in action in Normandy and Germany. I believe the 75s used in Burma were on standard carriages.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 13:00 pm 
3000+ Poster

Location: Trying to work out why the GPO has the guns pointing the wrong way
Group: Garrison
main pack how in india to my knowledge and from the farndale book was the 3.7 which was also used in Italy. Did the Airborne ever use 3.7 pack in anger?

Pte Pat Cleary ANZACS

Heard on VHF gunner net in Borneo in 1960's
US Accent: Unknown call sign this is USAF over North Veitnam clear this frequencey we're fighting a war here
UK Accent: USAF funnily enough so are we.....but we're winning ours!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:17 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: Summer of 44 LHG, 1st Airlanding Light Regt RA
The 53rd Worcestershire Yeomanry (6th AB) had 3 batteries of 75mm Pack Howitzers, 210, 211 and 212. One battery (cant remember from memory) flew into battle on 6th June 1944 and had the distinction of being the first Royal Artillery unit to fly into battle. The other 2 batteries followed by sea. One battery consisted of 2 sections, each with 4 guns.

Regards

Tim

Post subject: Re: 75mm Pack Howitzer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:18 am 
1000+ Poster

Rlangham wrote:
apart from being used by the 6th Airborne Division in Italy and Arnhem,

1st Airborne Division at Arnhem.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 16:15 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FIRST ALLIED AIRBORNE ASSOCIATION
Avenger wrote:
The 53rd Worcestershire Yeomanry (6th AB) had 3 batteries of 75mm Pack Howitzers, 210, 211 and 212. One battery (cant remember from memory) flew into battle on 6th June 1944 and had the distinction of being the first Royal Artillery unit to fly into battle. The other 2 batteries followed by sea. One battery consisted of 2 sections, each with 4 guns.

Regards

Tim

That would of course be Troops being Gunners

Regards

Lee

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 16:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Avenger wrote:
The 53rd Worcestershire Yeomanry (6th AB) had 3 batteries of 75mm Pack Howitzers, 210, 211 and 212.

For Op Varsity, due to a lack of gliders, 210 Battery was split up. Part of A Troop went to 211 and all of B Troop went to 212. The remainder of A Troop went in with the 12th Devons as an advance party to clear the LZ: as it happened, the 513th PIR was dropped there in error and did the job for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 16:47 pm 
1000+ Poster

FAAA wrote:
Avenger wrote:

Regards

Tim

That would of course be Troops being Gunners

Regards

Lee

Yes - sorry "Troops" - was in a rush to get to the beach thismorning ! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 16:48 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Ahah cheers for the info - are there any events you're taking the 75mm this year Tim?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 17:07 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FIRST ALLIED AIRBORNE ASSOCIATION
He's only gone and missed them Tim :wink:

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 13:58 pm 
1000+ Poster

Rlangham wrote:
Ahah cheers for the info - are there any events you're taking the 75mm this year Tim?

Nothing between now and October as it'll be off being repaired.

Later in the year - well that will depend if any events come along.

If you went to Beltring this year you'd have seen the other 2 x 75mm Pack Howitzers in the Summer of 44 group "in action".

Perhaps next year - subject to being invited places - have been asked if I will take it to Le Muy in the South of France... but this will require written permission from the French Ministry of the Interior... unsure how easy that will be to get - and then will be looking for a sponsor to cover some/all of the costs.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 15:50 pm 

How many Howitzers does your group actually have? I saw something on the Assault Glider Forum about having three guns,four crews, and support vehicles,which sound really impressive.
Also I have seen pictures of Living History Group Holland with Howitzers.Do they crew yours, or is 1st Airlanding Light Regiment represented by more than one group.If so,it would be amazing if they get together.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:48 am 
1000+ Poster

David Irvine wrote:
How many Howitzers does your group actually have? I saw something on the Assault Glider Forum about having three guns,four crews, and support vehicles,which sound really impressive.
Also I have seen pictures of Living History Group Holland with Howitzers.Do they crew yours, or is 1st Airlanding Light Regiment represented by more than one group.If so,it would be amazing if they get together.

Dave

Dave

Yes - we (Summer of 44) have the following and can represent either 1st Airlanding Light Regt RA, or 53rd Worcestershire Yeomanry (or indeed US Airborne PFAB):

At least 10 x WW2 Jeeps
At least 10 x WW2 British AB trailers
3 x 75mm Pack Howitzers

We also have a load of other WW2 related junk (vehicles and kit) and can and do represent other units as and when there is a call.

Two of the aforementioned 75mm Pack Howitzers are guns you will have seen previously in use with the Living History group in Holland - so, unfortunately there arent that many around.

There is still a single 75mm Pack Howitzer in firing order in Holland with the dutch group and perhaps in the future we will be able to get an event going where we can represent a complete troop.

For the time being however we are striving to get teams sorted for all 3 guns owned by SO44 members and get them up to speed for next year's season.

Regards
Tim