WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:33 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:07 am 

After much thought & what I thought was careful consideration I decided to buy a set of parts to make my own replica Welbike & if things went smoothly I was considering importing parts & selling them to other enthusiasts. At the time (Spring 2011) the only people offering these parts were a couple of manufacturers in India.

During what can only be described as tortuous negotiations, I did a deal with Mr Neeraj Sharma of NMAutoexport as he seemed to be able to offer the widest selection of parts & was very confident about both quality & delivery. Neeraj assured me that all but 2 parts were in stock, that all parts were made to the original specification & that I would be thrilled with both the quality of his work & the ease of dealing with him.

I sent full payment in a series of $500 deposits via Paypal, sat back & awaited delivery. After a few weeks I contacted Neeraj, who assured me that everything was fine he was “Just waiting for another frame to be made” as the one he had in stock wasn't up to his admirably high standards. Anyway to cut a long story short, this continued for a further 6 months or so.

Eventually in mid September he told me that my parcel was ready for shipment, once he could find a suitable cardboard box. Three weeks later & after even more e-mails the parcel was on its way. This package contained the majority of the parts I had ordered, but others were missing. A further month or so later I finally received the parts that Neeraj told me he had in stock in May, leaving me still waiting for the fuel tap & pump.

This is where the fun really started!

Some, not all of the problems I have encountered so far are. . . .

The frame: Apart from the generally terrible standard of welding that has been covered with a layer of filler to try & disguise it, the frame is totally cock eyed, the left hand side being approximately 3/4” further forward than the left hand side. This has lead to all sorts of parts not lining up correctly necessitating the removal & re welding of most of the mountings on the frame. I am still seriously considering removing one complete side of the frame & re welding it in the correct alignment, but hope I can work round the problems without having to do this.

The main steering upright: was made up in a number of sections one of which was so badly welded that the column broke in half under normal workshop handling, I hate to think what would have happened if the bike was being ridden at the time, the original weld that had been disguised was terrible with no penetration whatsoever. I have had to make a sleeve & weld it in place to re enforce this area.

The “knuckle” at the bottom of the steering column: was machined incorrectly, meaning that when the handle bars, column & forks were assembled & the handle bars were pointing forward the forks were pointing to the right, not just a bit. . . I'm talking around 35° After much thought, it was a case of making a replacement part or modifying the original, in the end, making a replacement was easier.

The twist grip: on the handle bar had been assembled wrong and instead of the twist grip working when you wound back, you had to wind forward! Another evenings work to rectify this.

The exhaust collector box: was covered in a thick layer of paint, as there were obvious flaws in the welding I stripped this off to reveal a collector box that was not only full of holes but was so rusty it could have passed as being a 60 year old original. It was rusted through in many places as well as seams not having been welded at all. Luckily I'm a decent gas welder & I managed to patch this up OK ish. It still looks a dog though & will rust again very soon due to the deep pits it is already covered in.

The exhaust pipe: (with no baffles of insulation within) was powder coated. Not a great idea as if my bike is ever finished it will burn off! The mounting bracket was also welded in the wrong place so it didn't fit.

Petrol Tanks: I have not dared strip the paint off the tanks yet, but these are certainly very rusty within, I only hope that they are not as rusty as the collector box once I start stripping the paint off. The pressure valve in the tank was nothing more than a piece of brass with a hole drilled in it! As the frame was made wrong, the tanks don't fit in their correct position, I have had to move all the brackets in the hope of achieving this.

Foot Brake mounting: In doing the above, I have also had to move the foot brake mounting as when the foot brake was in its correct position it fouled on the petrol tank.

These are just some of the problems I have had with this build to date, if I wasn't lucky enough to have a pretty decent workshop with MIG & Gas welding facilities, a lathe, a milling machine, heavy duty pillar drill etc. as well as a useful array of skills. I would not have stood a cat in hells chance of turning this Sow's ear into a Pig skin purse, let alone a silk one!

There isn't a single part offered by nmautoexports that didn't take a massive amount of modification, rectification & improvement to make it fit for the purpose it was supposedly made for!

UPDATE!

The fuel tap arrived yesterday & in all fairness is OK, the fuel tank pump is still outstanding as I write this. Needless to say I have decided to cut my losses & am either buying in a UK made alternative or making my own.

Please take my experience as a warning. The Welbike parts offered by nmautoexports are of shockingly bad quality & are not fit for purpose. The only thing worse being Neeraj's constant lying.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Neeraj Sharma of nmautoexports is a crook he will take your money & rip you off!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:55 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: VMD
When we did our small run of repro Welbikes, we contacted Neeraj and other Indian based merchants. After a while we too, we counted our losses and had most made in Europe. The parts that we send as patterns to Neeraj still have to be returned after 6 years or so.

The Carburetter bell mouth covers however came from China, but have long run out. These were a decent quality to price. Even Lex Schmidt had a batch of ours.

But if you are still willing to go on with your own, I have nearly all of the frame parts: just needs the pivot point for the brake pedal, both clamps and the actual welding.

If you are the same as the Mark F. who runs the website www.welbike.co.uk, I have tried contacting you on the repro books that you are selling on there, but you have not bothered to reply. I could have told you on our Indian friends.

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:27 am 
1000+ Poster

India, good for curry, the shits and elephants. Nothing else good has ever come from that hole.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 15:31 pm 

Group: Beyond the Chindwin, Burma campaign.
WAYNE15071965 wrote:
India, good for curry, the shits and elephants. Nothing else good has ever come from that hole.

F*****G funny!!!

Well said that man!!!

Chindits, 1st Batt South Staffordshire regt - Operation Thursday.

2nd Batt King's African rifles, Burma campaign.

CORA Combined operations reenactors association.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 17:23 pm 

WAYNE15071965 wrote:

I'd add to that pyjamas and a large chunk of the English language!

I think anyone who gets something made, by people who live the other side of the globe, who (usually) speak a different language and often have no real interest in what you want produced, are really asking for trouble unless they want to pop over there and show them yourself exactly what is expected.

Crooks come with all sorts of different accents, not just 'foreign' ones! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 23:37 pm 

Not a case of not bothering to answer, I guess your mail must have been lost in the ether. Contact me through this site or direct on mark(youknopwwhat)the-forsters.co.uk

Regards,

M

Last edited by General Ignorance on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 23:44 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: lytham wartime
i must say that even there 37 pattern webbing is awfull..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 19:17 pm 
 WWW  Profile

QUOTE : India, good for curry, the shits and elephants.

You even get short changed with their elephants, they have smaller ears ! :lol:

102nd Cavalry

http://www.paras10.com/index.php
http://blesma.org/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 21:05 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: EAFVG, EMLRA & other
whistlinwolf wrote:
QUOTE : India, good for curry, the shits and elephants.

You even get short changed with their elephants, they have smaller ears ! :lol:

:lol:

Freedom of expression is essential in enabling democracy to work and public participation in decision-making. Citizens cannot exercise their right to vote effectively or take part in public decision-making if they do not have free access to information and ideas and are not able to express their views freely. Freedom of expression is thus not only important for individual dignity but also to participation, accountability and democracy. Violations of freedom of expression often go hand in hand with other violations, in particular the right to freedom of association and assembly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 0:14 am 
Supporter

Group: independent
Just thought I would update on my restoration of a MK2 Series 1 Welbike .
I rang www.welbikeuk.com described to them the problem with the steering assembly on the above , basicly it was beyond saving .

Malcolm invited me down to their workshops in Stoke to show me around show me some of the items they made ,and also told me to bring along the frame and bars to have a look at it etc (I had already dismantled it) .

I went this morning (Wednesday) arrived after a 3hr journey and it was well worth it , they are such an accommodating friendly bunch of people. Malcolm said "lets have a look at the frame" , he took it into the workshop pointed out the lad (sorry forgot his name) that he was the expert and has had welbikes for years.

Within an hour the steering components were re-assembled in the frame , I had only gone down to purchase the bits , but while we had a cuppa it was machined brazed and finished , absolutely PERFECT, the components are such high quality in material and finish , you cannot tell the difference betwen the original and new , the detailing even down to the nails! that hold the tube into the yolk (these were put in on assembly to line them up before brazing) are there even put in at the correct angle , the detailing is amazing .

Malcolm showed me wheels , frames, forks, clutch perch etc etc , the wheels are machined out of solid square blocks of steel!! ,
forget the indian rubbish , these lads make the real macoy there also increasing the range of items , definately recommend these lads , and I would think any vehicle hard to get part if you had a word and they have a pattern to work from ,it wouldn't be a problem for them.

I'll be definately be getting my grips and cables and ant other bits from them , yep I'm over the moon with the work they did for me
can't praise them enough , Excellent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 14:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Hangtough506th
My brother made a replica welbike heres a video he made it from a childs push bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzBnvaCP ... ideo_title

Boy: what did you get Ben....?
Me: A T-5 parachute
Friends: ??????

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 15:40 pm 

wdrob wrote:
When we did our small run of repro Welbikes, we contacted Neeraj and other Indian based merchants. After a while we too, we counted our losses and had most made in Europe. The parts that we send as patterns to Neeraj still have to be returned after 6 years or so..

Rob

Hi.. I know its been a couple of years since this post, but I have been in contacts with a few different guys in Delhi about supposedly original Welbike parts and I was just wondering if these parts are still missing, as I would hate to buy any of them.. Was there a frame among the missing bits, if so would any one know a frame number to watch out for?
Regards Chris.