WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 19:53 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Driving the Bren Carrier
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 17:37 pm 

Group: Battlefront Living History Group
Does anyone have a "How to" guide on driving a Bren Carrier? I can't seem to find anything anywhere, and I'd rather not just improvise when our group gets access to one. :roll:

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 20:02 pm 
1000+ Poster

Well first of all you get the appropriate licence as road traffic law applies to areas where the public have access to i.e. show grounds.

Its then basically brute force and ignorance as you have to keep the rev's up to achieve any turns. Minor movements of the wheels warp the tracks to achieve turns but any further rotation of the wheel act on brake shoes in the rear hubs losing you all the forward momentum. On tight roundabouts I have come to a standstill before now. Also fitted with a crash box. You need to be a skilled driver to get the best out of them. Its nothing like a modern tracked AFV.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 20:47 pm 

Group: On Parade & The Law at War
If its anything like the ferret, you gotta be careful not to wreck the engine! (Cue numerous posts pointing out that its nothing like the ferret!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 19:19 pm 

Group: The Desert Platoon
All I've come across as regards driving the carrier is in the manuals. You do need a tracked vehicle licence and as mentioned by others you must keep the revs up when you make hard turns. Also knowing your pivot point, which is level with the driver's shoulder, helps tremendously with right angle turns. Be very careful driving on cobbles. All in all the carrier is not an easy vehicle to own or drive and requires quite a bit of practise. Good luck though I can thoroughly recommend these fabulous wee vehicles. Pm me if you require any further help.

2007 Runner up Best Small Living History Display

1941 Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
1942 Ford 01Y Utility Artillery Truck
1939 Ford 01A Staff Car
1941 Ford 11T NAAFI Truck
1940s 10cwt GS Trailer
1944 10cwt Hose Laying Trailer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 22:24 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

The Auck wrote

"Be very careful driving on cobbles"

Especially in Oosterbeek/Arnhem
C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 0:46 am 

Group: PPCLI -CMHS
We had one make an appearance at our D-Day Ohio event this past year; Unfortunately I was out of the country and was unable to see it. I was a crewman on the old M-60 tanks in the eighties; those were very easy to drive, not like the older line of tracked vehicles..... I'd certainly like to get my hand on a Carrier, as I'd suspect many on this forum would as well...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:13 am 
1000+ Poster

With a modern AFV or even most WW2 British Tanks you can do neutral turns and when steering the power you lose on the breaked side is transfered to the other side.

With a Carrier you just have a crash gear box and a standard Ford Truck rear axle with sprockets bolted on instead of wheels. Every time you apply the breaks the power is lost hence the need to anticipate and keep the revs up. Carrier engines would not have lasted long in service due to being underpowered for the application and the need to thrash them to get the best performance in difficult conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 13:10 pm 

Group: The Desert Platoon
REME 245 wrote:
With a modern AFV or even most WW2 British Tanks you can do neutral turns and when steering the power you lose on the breaked side is transfered to the other side.

With a Carrier you just have a crash gear box and a standard Ford Truck rear axle with sprockets bolted on instead of wheels. Every time you apply the breaks the power is lost hence the need to anticipate and keep the revs up. Carrier engines would not have lasted long in service due to being underpowered for the application and the need to thrash them to get the best performance in difficult conditions.

The good old hefty Ford V8 seemed to withstand much of the hard work and they certainly should be screaming when making turns! The secret is to plan your approaches to bends and especially the dreaded roundabouts, that is if you are considering going round them! I have almost got it down to little snatch on the brakes mid circle for a straight over route!

It would be some machine if there was power transfer from one track to the other like the tanks, now that would have been a real improvement.

2007 Runner up Best Small Living History Display

1941 Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
1942 Ford 01Y Utility Artillery Truck
1939 Ford 01A Staff Car
1941 Ford 11T NAAFI Truck
1940s 10cwt GS Trailer
1944 10cwt Hose Laying Trailer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 16:03 pm 
1000+ Poster

As you discuss in your own book Nigel, the larger V8 would have been beneficial.

The T16 which was much more complex vehicle presumanly did have a gear box capable of redirecting the power to the oposite side of the vehicle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 19:00 pm 

REME 245 wrote:
The T16 which was much more complex vehicle presumanly did have a gear box capable of redirecting the power to the oposite side of the vehicle.

Hardly, in many ways it was simpler. It had a controlled differential and hub brakes but that was it, steering simply puts brakes on and there is a corresponding loss of power.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 22:21 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A, Road to Mandalay.
Sorry to dredge up an old subject, but i have a daft question, what sort of licence would you need for one of these in the uk.
Just wondering.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:44 am 
1000+ Poster

Standard H Tracked category on your Licence.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:10 am 

For those wondering, I've since become fairly er, competent at operating the Universal Carrier;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-rs4Q5zvs

We've gathered such a crowd there because a carrier was not seen on the island basically since the 50's. And yes, there's some bits missing which we have, and which will be back on once we redo the camouflage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:08 pm 
1000+ Poster

Not sure if I would want to do a 360 degree turn on such rough looking tarmac.

It gets expensive when you presented with a bill for relaying the road.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 16:33 pm 

Ah, that's the beauty of it! The road was scheduled to be repaved, so the local council told us to go nuts!