WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 19:59 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: dingo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 0:47 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: 4th Dorsets
I'm sorry,i know it's not clever to boast but bear with me.My dingo has finished a long overhaul and is legally running and i have to say it is truely an awesome thing to drive on the road.the outrageous fuel cost is covered by smiles per mile i reckon.so if you are in Dorset and see dingo on the road wave 'cos that's probably me!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: dingo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 20:09 pm 

Group: 4th Dorsets Living History Group
I hope to be a passenger in it on the glorious 26th of April!!

Up the Dorset's!!

Assume nothing!
Believe no one!
Check everything!

Private "Duce"
"C" Company
4th Dorsets
130 Infantry Brigade
43rd Wessex Wyvern Division

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 22:56 pm 
5000+ Poster

Group: 16PFA / AFRA
is she making the journey to Tilford so the rest of us can go for a spin? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:20 am 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Group: WW2 Living History Association Ltd www.ww2lha.com
I used to get about 12 to the gallon on mine. Driving was fun, takes a while to get used to the preselector gear box and remember that it's a change pedal, not a clutch! Switch from forwards to reverse on the transfer lever was also an art which took me a while to practice.

I remember driving mine to an event in about 2002 with the rain pouring down, so we decided to stop, put the roof on and drive 'hull down'. Interesting... :shock:

In all seriousness though, I had a few nasty experiences with flying debris off the road, so I had a small windscreen on mine (piece of safety glass in a 5" high metal from which held in place with 2 bolts on the top of the lip on the armour at the front, and 2 legs which went to the rear and wedged in). It also meant you could drive it in the rain and not get soaked as the airflow carried the rain over the top of you.

Enjoy it - they're fun, especially if you can find somewhere to drive it in reverse at high speed!

LHA members

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:28 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 4th Dorsets
I take your point about clutch pedals.it's very easy to let your left foot slip into normal car mode.If anyone is going to Beaulieu ,that will be Stinger's first big public outing.
God save the King!
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 15:31 pm 
5000+ Poster

exocet wrote:
I take your point about clutch pedals.it's very easy to let your left foot slip into normal car mode.If anyone is going to Beaulieu ,that will be Stinger's first big public outing.
God save the King!
Pete

ok,that sort of answered my earlier question :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:59 am 

Group: The Desert Platoon
[quote="Feldjager"]I used to get about 12 to the gallon on mine. Driving was fun, takes a while to get used to the preselector gear box and remember that it's a change pedal, not a clutch! Switch from forwards to reverse on the transfer lever was also an art which took me a while to practice.
quote]

When I sit before you begin the start sequence and pump the change pedal 6 times or so in each of the gears to free the bands my pedal rasps against the bulkhead panel screeching every depression! Embarrasing when in a crowd! I usually wait until some other noisy vehicle starts up!! But they are a great drive and do attract attention. Once drove mine from Dundee to Durham. On way back drove in torrential rain for half the journey. Couldn't use the roof because you couldn't see out. Had to put on armoured corps helmet the rain was so sore on my head. Enjoy it.

Nigel

2007 Runner up Best Small Living History Display

1941 Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
1942 Ford 01Y Utility Artillery Truck
1939 Ford 01A Staff Car
1941 Ford 11T NAAFI Truck
1940s 10cwt GS Trailer
1944 10cwt Hose Laying Trailer

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:20 am 
5000+ Poster

The Auck wrote:
Feldjager wrote:
I used to get about 12 to the gallon on mine. Driving was fun, takes a while to get used to the preselector gear box and remember that it's a change pedal, not a clutch! Switch from forwards to reverse on the transfer lever was also an art which took me a while to practice.
quote]

When I sit before you begin the start sequence and pump the change pedal 6 times or so in each of the gears to free the bands my pedal rasps against the bulkhead panel screeching every depression! Embarrasing when in a crowd! I usually wait until some other noisy vehicle starts up!! But they are a great drive and do attract attention. Once drove mine from Dundee to Durham. On way back drove in torrential rain for half the journey. Couldn't use the roof because you couldn't see out. Had to put on armoured corps helmet the rain was so sore on my head. Enjoy it.

Nigel

sounds great fun! :D :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:06 pm 
1000+ Poster

Depressing the gear change pedal 5 or 6 times at the start of every day when the vehicle is driven allows the automatic brake band adjusters to take up the slack on the gear drum. Failure to do this will result in slip and excessive wear on the brake bands.

The same will happen if you try using the gear change pedal as a clutch.

Always ensure your tick over is set too fast as this will allow drive at tick over speeed and make changing from forward to reverse difficult.

The biggest problem with Dingio's at the moment is what you do once the tyres are worn out. Unless you are sitting on a reserve set they are very hard to come by. As with Ferret's all four tyres also need to be the approximately the same diameter.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 14:12 pm 
1000+ Poster

REME 245 wrote:
Depressing the gear change pedal 5 or 6 times at the start of every day when the vehicle is driven allows the automatic brake band adjusters to take up the slack on the gear drum. Failure to do this will result in slip and excessive wear on the brake bands.

The same will happen if you try using the gear change pedal as a clutch.

Always ensure your tick over is set too fast as this will allow drive at tick over speeed and make changing from forward to reverse difficult.

The biggest problem with Dingio's at the moment is what you do once the tyres are worn out. Unless you are sitting on a reserve set they are very hard to come by. As with Ferret's all four tyres also need to be the approximately the same diameter.

Query yr comment re tickover speed?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 16:24 pm 
1000+ Poster

If the tick over speed is to high you will still get drive through the fluid fly wheel at idle and the vehicle will try to move forward.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:41 pm 

iocbloke wrote:
REME 245 wrote:

he meant not too fast, I have the same issue with my Ferrets and Fox

PS love the fact Dingo now classed as a tracked vehicle folowed the forum redsign :lol:

Never forget, when portraying glamour boys, that the Pioneers did the real (dirty) work!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 0:14 am 
1000+ Poster

00EC25 wrote:
iocbloke wrote:
REME 245 wrote:

he meant not too fast, I have the same issue with my Ferrets and Fox

PS love the fact Dingo now classed as a tracked vehicle folowed the forum redsign :lol:

'Not' - ok :D

tracked Dingos....hummmmm

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 14:51 pm 
1000+ Poster

I have just spotted the deliberate mistake. Setting it too fast would make for a very interesting drive.

Some thing else a lot of deivers forget when changing down is to increase the revs a bit to match the engine and road speed. This prevents jerky gear changes which put unecessary strain on the drive train.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 19:42 pm 

Group: 4th Dorsetshire Living History Group
Sorry but definetly "dont" agree with setting the tick over a bit higher!
As the previous owner of "Exocets" Dingo ,and a mechanic for 25yrs you "DONT" want the tickover to high unless you fancy ripping the edges of the gear teeth!

Colin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:00 am 
1000+ Poster

Colin

As I said in the message above yours the other guys had already spotted my deliberate mistake.

I meant to say keep the tick over as low as possible or it will give you a jerky untake in drive and you will knock teeth of your gear train trying to go from forweard to reverse. You will also get excessive drive at tick over speed.