WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:42 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:14 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: AFRA, Oxf & Bucks LI, British Airborne Platoon
I own a 1942 Ford GPW Jeep. I have had it for little over a year. It was fully restored when I bought it and is a good runner.

I take it out most weekend for a spin to keep it moving. I tried to drive it to most of the shows I have attended this year and have driven it to Normandy and Arnhem to boot.

I have had some problems, starter motor, shock absorber brackets sheared, radiator leak, generator not charging battery, all of which I have been able to sort out myself.

However, I have a new problem. I am not a mechanic, I do understand basic mechanics and can do basic maintenance, but this has stumped me.

I had the Jeep out this morning, went to B&Q to get some painting and decorating stuff. On the way home it started to be difficult to get her in gear. By the time I got home I could not depress the clutch pedal enough to be able to engage gear.

The clutch pedal now depresses approx. 3 to 4 inches before you can feel it engaging (but not enough to get it in gear).

I have looked at the clutch cable and there simply is not enough adjustment to get the pedal adjusted.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andy

Living History Group
An AFRA affiliated group

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 15:44 pm 

New clutch time then by the sounds of it. Or the cable has stretched so much that you've run out of adjustment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 14:04 pm 

If the problem suddenly happened it sounds like a clutch problem, possibly broken clutch operating fork, first check the operation of the clutch pedal linkage between the chassis and gearbox, something may be adrift there, otherwise if thats ok its a big job to access the clutch, remove the engine, or remove gearbox out from underneath. Someone who is familiar with Jeeps can confirm the problem by removing the floor panel over the gearbox and check the clutch operation by looking through the inspection hole in the bellhousing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 20:16 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: AFRA, Oxf & Bucks LI, British Airborne Platoon
I've been talking with Jeffrey's Engineering and from what I've described they think it may be the fork/fulcrum also.

Anyhoo, its booked in with them next week for some TLC.

Cheers,
Andy

Living History Group
An AFRA affiliated group

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 22:06 pm 
1000+ Poster

Time to sell. It's the Jeep cycle of life.
Buy.
Drive for 6 weeks
Store/fix for 18 months
Sell