WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 13:32 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Towing handcarts
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:17 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: AFRA, Oxf & Bucks LI, British Airborne Platoon
Does anyone on the forum regularly tow a airborne folding handcart behind their Jeep on the roads in the UK?

I have just bought my first Jeep (1942 Ford GPW) and have a British airborne folding handcart which, during the war, had the ability to be towed behind a Jeep.

The handcart is rated to carry 650lb, I know through looking at the UK.gov website that a trailer of 750Kg and over has to have brakes fitted, so the handcart does not need to have brakes. Also it must have a number plate fitted.

But, does the handcart need a tail light/indicator board?

Cheers,

Andy Ansell

Living History Group
An AFRA affiliated group

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Towing handcarts
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:35 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Navy Reenactors online
Yes it would need tail lights, indicators and reflective triangles, plus a numberplate to match the towing vehicle, so you need to look at designing something that can easily be clipped on then removed at the event.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:50 am 
3000+ Poster

Use a detatchable trailer board.

you get them on ebay for 20quid or so.

is the handcarts axle and bearings up to travelling at the high motorway speeds a jeep can manage ;-)

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 14:36 pm 
1000+ Poster

Construction and use regulations are not generally applied retrospectively so you would only need what was required under regulations at the time of construction. For example there is a need to have a matched pair of head lights after the hours of darkness on a vehicle but not before.

Having said this if you are planning to tow this round the M25 or after the hours of darkness, if an accident was caused by the failure to have it adequately lit, you would be committing an offence.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 18:43 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry, F.I.R.E.44
I think you need to apply common sense really, what is safe is usually required.
Regulations about retrospective construction etc are now (I think) outdated as vintage vehicles no longer need MOTs. Also the 'daylight' MOT is quite outdated now anyway too. Not that any of tha applies to trailers anyhow!

I do think that strictly speaking the trailer should have mudguards too. I know of at least one person stopped with an airborne jeep trailer who was told to get mudguards for it immediately. He narrowly escaped a fine.

The main message is, risk getting caught, fined or even worse, causing an accident OR alternatively you could make some removable adaptations as suggested which woul keep everybody happy!

All the best,
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 19:19 pm 

If your going to all the expense of trying to make the handcart roadworthy and legal , why not just buy a small box trailer to put it in and room for other items then there's no worry involved in it getting damaged by being towed on the roads .

Bob