WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 22:28 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:31 am 

Group: Normandy44
can anyone tell me what the main differences are from a 40's dated Jeep (Willys,Ford,Hotchkiss) compared to a later dated one. ?

i.e if i was to buy a later dated one how easy would it be to convert to a 40's spec jeep?

if anyone has any pictures it would be appreciated.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:54 am 

Group: 2nd Armoured In Europe
NO 40s dated Hotchkisses for a start Chris....

Jesus mate what a minefield of a question......

You can make a 50/60s Hotchkiss look like a 40s MB or GPW quite easily provided you don't open the bonnet or notice the lack of dash "notch" by repositioning the starter push button on the dash with a foot switch and change the gauges and cut out the front chassis re enforcing and remove the antenna brackets and put 5 combat rims and paint it up like an American one.

Regards

Lloyd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:14 pm 
1000+ Poster

Also the hood and seat covers if still the plastic ones, a set of new tyres if still on Michelins and presumably the bonnet windscreen blocks as well.

I was always hoping that there would be a glut of Hothkiss on the market which price wise would make it worthwhile doing all of this but prices remained high.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 13:21 pm 

Group: The Fighting Fourth
Problem you have is 650k Jeeps made by Willys and Ford in comparison to 50k made by Hotchkiss.

The fact they can be converted easily as (IMHO) they are practically the same vehicle so, if you think along the lines of doing a proper restoration - you won't go far wrong.

M201s tend to have electric wipers, single piece wheels with Kleber style tyres, Starter on Dash, 24 volt with NATO spec trailer socket, There are also strengtheners in the chassis just behind the dumb irons that hold the bumper on. The other differences are more dimensional i.e. the Hotchkiss has thicker steel panels and chassis and some of the pressings are slightly different.

Most of the more obvious differences can be changed given time and/or money. I have had a couple of converted M201s and run a converted British Airborne version at the moment. If done right they look very good and again in my view, teh M201 is a more reliable vehicle and moderately mechanically tougher due to construction (4 bearing engine) and lack of age.

Hotchkiss will be slightly cheaper but not significantly so, this is unlikely to change as they wear out or get converted to WW2 spec.

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
Albert Einstein

Trying to bring Authenticity to The MV world since 2006.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 23:42 pm 

Group: 307th AB Engineers
nothing other than a Hotchkiss can easily be converted to a wartime Jeep. The other later vehicles are just too different. Bodies are different, screens, wheels, dashes . . . Sure Hotchkiss's are different but nowhere near as much as say a CJ.