WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:53 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 22:52 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
UPDATE: Files are now ready, see my last post at the bottom

There's no 'bicycle' sub-forum, so I've put it in here as I'd say a bike is a 'light vehicle'.

Does anyone on here own (or know someone who owns) a British 'Bicycle, G.S., MkIV' or 'Bicycle, G.S., MkIV*'?

If so I've something you might be interested in;
I've have a small notebook (an "Army Book 136" [pattern March 1923] to be precise, for all you British military stationary supplies fans out there) for a while now which I acquired (by shear fluke) due to me restoring a MkIV*. Inside this notebook in pencil handwriting is a trove of technical, use and repair data about the MkIV range of bicycles, which was all written by a Private or Corporal Thomas (haven't yet tracked down which out of the two yet) in 1928. The MkIV range of cycles were introduced during WW1 and their service lasted up until the MkV was introduced early WW2, which makes them the longest serving British military bicycle, yet very little of them and about them remain.

So, recently, I've been scanning in the pages and also deciphering and transcribing the hand-written information, to create a .pdf file which contains both my hastily (no frills!) typed-up easy-to-read Word copy and the original book (including some non-related scribbles also in the book, for interest's sake) with all its hand-drawn diagrams. The information contained, for example, includes how to lace wheels correctly, strip/rebuild the Eadie coaster hub, detailed lists of the kit carried and where carried including weights, and also instructions for fitting Lewis and Hotchkiss gun carriers instead of the usual rifle clips.

So, I thought that this would be of interest/value to any other MkIV owners/military bicycle historians/fanatics out there - anybody like me to pass them a copy once it's finished (which'll be rather soon, just writing up the cover page and opening Introduction/Contents Description)?

Last edited by McVickers on Wed Oct 29, 2014 19:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:54 am 

Group: tramps in armour
Don't own such a bike. But well done for saving this bit of history. No doubt will be of interstate to someone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:38 am 
1000+ Poster

I know a group who would be very interested.

PM'd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:14 am 

I have a converted mkv which is to mkiv and I'd be very interested!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 19:07 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
The document files (there's two .pdf files, as a set) are complete. If anyone would like a set, please PM me your email address and I will send them to you.

Also, Martin, I emailed the the group you referred me to, but didn't hear a whisper back - not even a "thanks but no thanks". Ah well, their loss...