WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 23:30 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Re: accessories on jeeps
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 17:48 pm 

Group: 'Battle for Europe' and 'Follow the Sapper'
For the record, I do agree that it is very easy to over accessories and the jeeps you see driving around Normandy are ridiculous. I just mean that we shouldn't write off every accessory as a fair few of them are correct.

Portraying Frontline Royal Engineers

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 20:57 pm 

Too bad they don't use the net. You are right about the assecories. But what is correct and what is not? I think it all depends on the role you play.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 21:01 pm 

Group: 'Battle for Europe' and 'Follow the Sapper'
Definitely. On my truck I have a Camo net over the bed (that, as I said before was against regs, but was done). I have a tow rope on the front (that has been a great help) and a pick axe on the front bumper. I normally hang my webbing and gas mask hanging off the mirrors when I'm in battle order :)

Portraying Frontline Royal Engineers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 22:02 pm 
Bill Smythe wrote:
Don't forget the totally useless length of rope somewhere on the front.

I've decided to do a p*** take next season and ponce my bike up in the same vein. Should be a laugh :-)

Not totally useless, my rope and my jeep ended up towing a low-loader at Skeggy whose starter motor had gone, and there is a Joe-Dope tip in one of the period manuals on how to easily affix a rope to the front,, I'll find it somewhere.

1.Sweetheart piccies
2. Rope

= allowed!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:14 am 

Group: 2nd Armoured In Europe
To be honest all it takes is to do the research and look at PERIOD pictures of your chosen divisions jeeps and "dress" them accordingly.

Sgt Costin that last comment of yours....= allowed had me chuckling...sorry

regards

LTS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:09 am 

Group: LHA.
My grandfathers jeep had the spare wheel wedged behind the front bumper. A fuel can was attached to the running board. No pioneering tools. Rear spare wheel and fuel can brackets were removed and replaced with ammo boxes that were bolted to the tub. A rear stretcher frame was permanently fitted to the rear of the tub with the forward frame strapped to it (this was same with the majority of the unit's jeeps). All other necessary kit was put into a trailer that had been 'liberated'. The interior of the tub was kept relatively clear in order for the jeep to be quickly utilsed into other roles when required.

Not wishing to offend anyone but I must admit I prefer a more individual look to vehicles rather than the 'clone look' that often seems too clean and well managed for a battlefield vehicle.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 20:47 pm 

Group: Skellys Heroes
Yeah the totally useless piece of rope earned me and my buddy 100 euros in Normandy this year by towing stranded campervans out of the camping field near omaha beach.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:27 am 

first pic is from the Nisei unit, just noticed the spares/armorers chest on the fenderwell hidden under the canvas windshield cover. Wonder what they have stuffed in there (the canvas cover that is), clothes or a blanket?

2nd pic is 1945 in Germany. You know your infantry when you dont think twice about plopping down in the churned mud.