WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 0:22 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 18:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: GI44-45
Gents,

My jeep is currently under restoration and I'm getting it back to a factory fit.

I would like to have it marked up as a jeep from the 456th PFA 82nd Abn as they were the closest US unit to my home during the war.

basically what I'm after is if anyone knows of any mods done to their jeeps for transportation in the gliders similar to the way the Brits had mods done for glider fit.

Also bumper markings would be good but not essential as I can find that out later on.

Thanks

Jon

brought my battalion to the briefing prior to Normandy, I had the finest combat-ready force of its size that will ever be known. By the time I gathered them together in Normandy, half were gone. I charge you: put us down in Holland or put us down in hell, but put us all down
together in one place, or I will hound you to your graves."

Lt. Col. Mendez, Commanding Officer 3rd Bn 508th PIR 82nd Abn Div

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 14:22 pm 

Group: 307th AB Engineers
Hey there, i'm finishing a Jeep myself and the group i'm part of is an 82nd one . . .
As far as i know the US paratroops and glider troops didn't really modify their Jeeps, other than the usual wire cutter posts that is, there's a photo floating around somewhere of a 101st Jeep in St Marie du Mont and the only modifications on it are the complete lack of a windscreen and a .30 cal on a tripod sat on the bonnet. Hope this helps.
T

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 13:15 pm 

Group: The Fighting Fourth
jon_short wrote:
Gents,

My jeep is currently under restoration and I'm getting it back to a factory fit.

I would like to have it marked up as a jeep from the 456th PFA 82nd Abn as they were the closest US unit to my home during the war.

basically what I'm after is if anyone knows of any mods done to their jeeps for transportation in the gliders similar to the way the Brits had mods done for glider fit.

Also bumper markings would be good but not essential as I can find that out later on.

Thanks

Jon

Jon

Chopping and changing your jeep? what are you doing with the Brit bits, just starting to sort out modding mine :D

Tony

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
Albert Einstein

Trying to bring Authenticity to The MV world since 2006.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:42 am 

Group: MVT
I did my jeep as 82nd 320 GFA for a time, no mods at all, std. jeep. The unit numbers were still on the rear. The only thing I found, was when I stripped the clutch, it had 2 sets of springs on, making a very heavy clutch. I can only think that this was for towing something heavy, a big piece. Big numbers on front.. I'll post a pic I used,,,, hang on.

"It's no good pointing to it Sir... If the computer says we don't have it, we don't have it!"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:44 am 

Group: MVT
Here is the pic. Light covers and windscreen covers, no wire cutter, that would have been added once in the field.

"It's no good pointing to it Sir... If the computer says we don't have it, we don't have it!"