WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 0:18 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 21:59 pm 

Group: They Led The Way
You know the willys jeep model with armour plating where the windshield would have been and where the sides for entrance to the vehicle would go? Well, when was this first introduced?

Anybody know the year? Early/Late war? And by whom? What unit?

Cheers, Scott

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 0:50 am 
Supporter

Group: independent
I was on the understanding that these "Modifications" were invented and put together out in the field by the MT sections .The pictured jeep is one from the 82nd AB recon guys during Ardennes 1944 , I think these mods were quite late on, and access was by climbing in from the back seat , I have seen a picture of an amoured Jeep with a door designed on the canvas full door that opened .

The British and Belgium SAS had Armoured Jeeps designed and built specificly for them , but forces out in the field I'm not sure , so putting an actual date on the first I think would be quite difficult .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:54 am 

Group: 2nd Armoured In Europe
North Africa 1942...simples...by many US units primarily recon and anti tank units

Regards

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:11 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FIRST ALLIED AIRBORNE ASSOCIATION
Hi Scott

The unit pictured above, the 82nd Reconnaissance Platoon operated their armoured jeeps as early as Market Garden, September 1944. I have yet to find confirmation on their Jeeps getting the Armoured treatment before D-DAY and have not come across any pictures of the Platoon in Normandy. My guess and it is only a guess is the Platoon adopted the armoured plate after their return to England post D-Day and operated un-armoured jeeps in Normandy.

Below is a picture of the platoon loading up for Market Garden.

The pictures below are much later of the platoon, probably at wars end.

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:50 am 
Supporter

Good pictures

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:31 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FIRST ALLIED AIRBORNE ASSOCIATION
Hi Dave

I have studied the Platoon for a while now, I was once contacted by a Veteran of the Platoon many years ago now and he sent me a tape recording of his time in the 82nd and how he was selected for the unit. The Platoon was infact more of a depleted company really with many of the men coming from the Divisions Artillery units.

I have many more of the platoon taken during that parade and I am sure someone out there has the quite well known picture of the recon jeep in the woods during the Market Garden Campaign.

Its a hell of a lot of weight to put on a road going jeep, so have never done it to mine and the forward mounted 50 cal may be a problem.

Regards
Lee

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:30 am 
2000+ Poster

I have done a jeep with 10mm plate windscreen and side doors with a 30 on a post bolted to the floor and armored screen, it's not 100% accurate as it all comes off but if you go on http://www.2ndarmoredineurope.co.uk you can see a few of our recreated armored jeeps,

time wise, Europe, I'd say they came in mainly after the September dash to the German border when things became static

go onto unit vehicles and pictures 2 and 13 and 14 at least show some of our jeeps with armour

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:42 am 
Supporter

FAAA wrote:
Hi Dave

I have studied the Platoon for a while now, I was once contacted by a Veteran of the Platoon many years ago now and he sent me a tape recording of his time in the 82nd and how he was selected for the unit. The Platoon was infact more of a depleted company really with many of the men coming from the Divisions Artillery units.

I have many more of the platoon taken during that parade and I am sure someone out there has the quite well known picture of the recon jeep in the woods during the Market Garden Campaign.

Its a hell of a lot of weight to put on a road going jeep, so have never done it to mine and the forward mounted 50 cal may be a problem.

Regards
Lee

Hi Lee

Weight I would think must have caused problems suspension wise , I have just replaced all the springs and assistor on mine as it was starting to lean to the left with full fuel tank , spare can filled and full with passengers + kit , still think it could do with beefing up on the N/S rear :roll: ,do you know if they beefed up the suspension to compensate for the extra weight ?, because in the photo's they seem to sit pretty well .

Would like to beef mine up a bit if possable , does anyone know if thare are any parts are available to do this ?

Dave

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 13:52 pm 

In period there were difinately heavier spring sets available. For example the SAS / LRDG Jeeps all had uprated springs to accomodate all the shizzle they had to carry about.

Don't know of anyone who does them now though.