WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 0:19 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: No4 on a british jeep
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:54 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: V.E.R.A+the 29th field kitchen. 16 PFA, 23 PFA
Hi can anyone help where dose the No 4 go if its on a british airborne jeep
i have seen it on the D/wing but i can get one to fit as i have side lights on my wings ? :oops:

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:34 am 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Das Heer
sgtMoon wrote:
i have seen it on the D/wing but i can get one to fit as i have side lights on my wings ? :oops:

Hi Pete

You could fit a couple of mounts on the windscreen (inside) my no.4 fits very nicely on them when i have the screen on that is lol.

Alternatively you could fit a couple of mounts on the drivers or passengers side of the tub at angles. I've got these for the sten (drivers side) and the bren but the number 4 also fits comfortably. Like yourself, i have convoy lamps on the wings but the mount still works. I'll see if i have a couple of pics of mine to put up for you as not very good at describing things verbally on here :)

Edit: Just looked and don't have any clear pics so i'll take a couple for you this weekend Pete

http://www.dasheer.org

Wir haben keine speziellen abzeichen. Nur das weiße kabel der Infanterie. Kämpfen gut, kämpfen hart und überleben meine freunde

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 22:32 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

thank yes a pic would do just to let me see . i got a mount for a vickers K gun to put on but that means i would have to take off my screen as well but as i have one or two No4 s thats what i like to use i would like it on drivers side if poss thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:20 am 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Hi Pete

Pics have been done just having a few probs getting them to load up. Didn't want you to think i'd forgotten. :)

Wir haben keine speziellen abzeichen. Nur das weiße kabel der Infanterie. Kämpfen gut, kämpfen hart und überleben meine freunde

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 13:08 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 14:30 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Here we go Pete

Passenger side :

Drivers side :

Windscreen :

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 23:54 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

thank you I now see what i have done wrong i need to put a peace of wood behind the clip and put it on the body and not the wing , :oops: :oops: could you give me the size off the wood block

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 20:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Western Desert Recce Group
Hi Pete

Can I ask where you got the mount for the vickers K as I am looking for one for mine too

Gary

Also/
Western Desert Recce Group (LRDG and SF based)WWW.WDRG.ORG
The WDRG is a registered charity Charity Number SC041486

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:52 am 

Group: Wargroup / Ireland
sgtMoon wrote:

Hi Pete

I believe you were looking for Lee Enfield mount on the Jeep. Here's the photo I came across just recently with Jeeps from Polish 1st Independent Para Brigade. Photo is from the book: "Pojazdy Polskich Sił Zbrojnych na Zachodzie 1939-47" by A. Kaminski & T. Szczerbicki (Vehicles of Polish Armed Forces in the West 1939-47).

Given the Enfields on the photo are the Jungle Carabines - it's been made after VE-Day, but obviously the mounts are designed to carry No.4 (the barrel in Jungle carabine is too short to reach the front mount).

Hope it's any help to you:

P.S. I was looking for you in Beltring, but given the size of the event I must have missed you. Pity. Hope next time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:20 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

thanks nice photo but it is where to put a No4 on the wing of a jeep that i am looking for (problem solved as it was the bracket that i had was the wrong ones now have the correct one so No4 will go to ball :lol: )
THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP pete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:56 am 
2000+ Poster

Location: The wild border lands between Lancashire and Yorkshire
Group: HMS
The bottom bracket for my No. 4 is a triangular wooden block with a hole for the stock of the number 4 routed out of one of the faces. The top one is the same leather faced spring clip as the one shown. This was, I think, original although I've taken it off now. The triangular wooden bit was screwed to the step and the spring clip was on the sloping bit of the mudguard. We have a similar arrangement (only for two) in the cab of our MW between the driver and his mate, again original.

()) ---- ())

Historical Maritime Society
WW2 Royal Navy & 30AU

“Now landsmen all, whoever you may be, If you want to rise to the top of the tree, If your soul isn't fettered to an office stool, Be careful to be guided by this golden rule-- Stick close to your desks and never go to sea, And you all may be Rulers of the Queen's Navee.”

If God had meant us to be in the Army, we would have been born with green, baggy skin.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 21:32 pm 

Group: MVPA, First Special Service Force LHA, Edmonton,
Hello gang,

Anyone know where to purchase the Spring clips for the No 4?

Cheers,

Rob