WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:12 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: SS marschstiefel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 17:41 pm 

Did the LSSAH panzergrenadiers wear Marschstiefel (jackboots) as commonly as the low boot , many have said low boot but i have seen lots of pics with the high boot being worn also.
R A U sells some post war (without nails) but they do have heel plates and i suppose i could easily get some authentic studs and sole plates for them as long as soles are ok or even get new soles to take them.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: SS marschstiefel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 18:18 pm 
3000+ Poster

It depends when - as it does with all units.

What group are you in / what time period do they specify ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 15:58 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: Hirschberg Society
If you want to roll over Poland, crush France and drive towards Moscow then Marschstiefel are for you. :)
On the other hand if you want to crouch in a water-logged schutzenloch, gnawing on some frozen horseflesh while being bombed and shelled into oblivion, low boots are the way forward. :(
Seriously though, jackboots were replaced by the issue of low boots to save leather as the war progressed. Although the Landser tried to hold onto his jackboots as long as he could.
Which is why you can see both types being worn right through the war.

Schweiß speichert Blut
"...the future is clearly known, only the past has to be rewritten"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 16:32 pm 
3000+ Poster

"jackboots were replaced by the issue of low boots "

Rather - they stopped issuing Marching boots - they didnt start issuing low boots - they already had them.
They started issuing gaiters.

Youve also got the gradual reduction in height of the Marching boots - from high shaft down to low shaft, before stopping general issue - though they were still made and issued to certain units.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:56 am 

Thx brian B :lol: and to all other posts that replied , I will however get the jackboot and get them studded with the correct nails.
I remember when , at 16, I 1st joined the army and had dms boots ..omg I hated them. the low boots so remind me of them ..lol.
I must say I roared with laughter at your comment Brian B on the lapdancers ability over the cobblers ..rofl..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 13:01 pm 

I have the marschstiefel now but heel irons a little worn down, where can i get authentic heel irons to replace them and is it possible to have leather soles put on them?
thx... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 16:01 pm 

I have noticed that thin rubber soles have been added to them but they are leather underneath , with some kind of crest with markings and also says leder.
Im bit confused over the markings though and they seem somewhat big , although i havent put insoles yet , my army service boots were 10 m and all my boots fitted well from DMS to Goretex combat .. these are marked as follows (ink and perforated)
soles marked 285Inside calf perforated marked: 285 113 12 94 11
Inside calf ink marked: m285 113 62163

Nice boots tbh and the leather is great quality , i got them from RAU .. I have found original studs and heelplates that will fit , just not sure if i need to add more thickness to leather sole or simply get the rubber sole removed and fit studs into existing soles.

any help is greatly appreciated .. and can anyone let me know what type of low boot to get from RAU as there seems many.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 19:56 pm 

Don't ever get Sturm low boots! There are decent ones (the expensive ones)from Richard and a number of European boot makers. Looking at £180-220 for a really good pair.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 14:37 pm 

Jan H Berger at lederarsenal seem to stock nice copies tbh and i may well go down that road in buying a pair.
I am still wondering how i go about re soling (with leather) my bundy boots from R A U They just have a thin rubber sole glued over the leather sole it seems ..i suppose the local cobbler can mannage that job , i have also come across some studs .. but although genuine german 1944 , there are 2 types ..one is with special harpoon sharp..(Harpunspitze) and the other set is straight sharp. cant seem to find authentic heel irons though.. :?:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 15:23 pm 

I am Concerned over the boots i purchased from RAU , The heelplates are aluminium , the shafts are weak and after reading many different threads, im wondering if i have bought "sturm" boots not Bundeswehr marching boots as described in the picture on RAU's website.
They have a thin rubber sole attached to a leather sole so i guess adding leather sole and then hobnails shouldnt be an issue, but im now unsure where to get hold of authentic heelplates.
The quality of the leather is great but if they are sturm , whats the problems that many are ranting about and are the boots really worth adding leather soles and nails?
I was also looking at lowboots from Jan Berger as his attention to detail and authenticity seem unrivalled, a bit expensive but perhaps worth that.
Im in Germany again 17th Feb , Nordhorn and Bad Bentheim, would be great if there were places near there i could get boots or even nails and plates.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 15:35 pm 

eBay.de might be worth a shot. Pop up some pics of your boots, sounds like Bundy ones however. Sturm boots fall apart with light use, not exactly mil spec.

Be careful when looking for a cobbler, some can make a bit of a mess of things.

http://www.koutny-cz.eu/produkty/

There is an example on his products section of Boots with the soles changed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 0:50 am 

Thx for the reply Olly, yep i guess they probably are "bundy" as they are mil stamped and the leather and soles seem good quality , i will add correct pattern studs and soles and i will still go for J H Bergers low boots , and get some good quality gaiters to match. I will also look at ebay.de and ask around in Bad bentheim, i think theres an old cobblers there in the village near a restaurant i frequently visit ,(alter bismarck) the proprietor may also know and hes quite an old chap with much knowledge of the local areas.
Is Richard Underwood Still one of the best suppliers of tunics btw? SS m40 , 42 and 43.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 16:24 pm 
3000+ Poster

He sells sturm tunics mainly, possibly some Gavin.

been a good few years since he had any Hero collection unfortunately. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:34 am 

valued info on the tunics ..many thx .. i dont mind paying for quality but i dont want to end up with some badly made wrongly coloured cheap looking copy .. so its gavin militaria , apart from gavin , who else sell best quality repro tunics? I am also after dot 44 trousers , and a smock will do instead of m44 tunic.
I also bought a Kopfschutze from RAU but is soo damn short its purpose is kneck scarf only , i still have british army headover ive had for years ( wrong colour obviously) and is twice as long , serves well as headover and scarf.. seems RAU isn't the best in some things ...
im sure RAU sells very good items, but its knowing from feedback , exactly what to avoid , so im greatful for all help and appreciate it fully.
danke und gute Gesundheit... : Ich werde ein Getränk für euch alle in Bentheim haben :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 17:59 pm 

I can get hold of original hobnails and toeplates , but having difficulty finding heel irons that will fit, they measure H=9.0CM and W= 8.2cm.
Anyone know where i can get them pls... danke.