WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 21:47 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: type of tunic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 0:34 am 

I was wondering what was the most commonly used tunic worn by the LSSAH panzergrenadiers?
I heard that some tunics simply fell appart when soaking wet from the poor mixture of wool and other materials, i was looking maybe to a m42 or even a m40 , supplied ofc by RAUnderwood. Interesting that at the trial of Jochen Peiper , many different types of tunics were seen being worn by the 1st ss LSSAH.
I know that later on in the war , the units wore different types of cammo smocks over the top of the field tunic.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: type of tunic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:46 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Grossdeutschland Aufklärung
The war went on for 6 years mate (a little more if you count things like the occupation of the Rhur, annexation of Austria, occupation of Czechoslovakia). In that time designs change, things get worn out or destroyed with use and need to be replaced.

Best place to start is decide what period of the war or campaign you are basing your portrayal on and study the books to get an idea of what was worn.

Neil

Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds, our tank roars forward with the storm wind.

www.panzeraufgd.co.uk

www.facebook.com/Panzeraufgd/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:49 am 

Over the whole war, or a specific time period?

41-43 the M40 is seen predominantly, plenty of pleated pocket still seen with type 1 smocks worn.

43-45 the M42/43 judging from portrate photos etc.

But with 20,000 men at full strength, M40s would still be present late on.

Personally I am interested in the 44-45 period so always go for m42/43 tunics.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 0:12 am 

thanks, i would rather the m42 tunic , just a matter of personal choice, i think Richard Underwood has a deal on with full m42 uniform £150.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 17:32 pm 

Looked at R a underwoods tunics and m40 or m42/43 ..i think quality is best in m40 but cant decide .. era is for 1942 onwards .. I know , after watching Jochen Peipers trial that many were wearing m36 converted tunics and some wore later designs .. SS seemed to be like our SAS and use and adapt heer clothing to suit personal needs. But id did read someplace that the wool was terrible in later design tunics and some even came appart in wet weather ..that being said , maybe the copies arent made of same wool mix, i really cant say.
I dont know if there are better copies of the tunics mentioned , other than RA Underwoods , i know there are a lot of crap ones about and i dont wish to fall into that trap of buying one of those.
Also, for the ear 1942- what type of smock was worn over tunic and what type of winter parka .. dot 44? or plain grey to white?
thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 18:07 pm 

It wasn't only the SS that tailored or adapted issued tunics. Many officers and NCOs added bottle green collars to M40/42/43 tunics.

What's group are you in and what year do they portray? It will make a difference to the smock worn etc.

41-43 type 1 smock
44-45 type 2 smock predominant but type 1 seen.
I believe type 1 helmet covers were predominent even in 44.

Decide what year you want to portray first. A unit refitted in 44 would get a majority of 42/43 tunics.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 20:18 pm 

I am looking to buy 2 tunics , m42 and m43 (waffen ss) , is there a better supplier out there than others? I am atm , looking at ATF , they seem good copies , unsure of epic militaria , and R A Underwood , (who always seems to have limited stocks) and the R A Underwood section of SOF are made under license to him and not exactly 100% what he himself sells from his own website , bit like shoes made in taiwan , would be greatful for any advice thx . :)