WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:50 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: 12th SS armour?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 21:45 pm 

Group: Nww2a mainly
After having no luck surfing the internet I thought I'd try here, does anyone have or know where I can find a list of vehicles (including tanks) and artillery (numbers of each vehicle would be good to) that was used by the 12th SS division in Normandy 1944?

Regards

Matt

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: 12th SS armour?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 21:54 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 53rd Welsh
Its really REALLY not hard for 12 SS. They are one of the most documented units online...

Give it a proper whack and you'll find tons.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 21:57 pm 

Really? iv tried loads of times and found nothing relevant its all just random sh*t when I look :/ and links would be good

cheers

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 21:59 pm 
1000+ Poster

Seriously, go give it a crack.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=off ... 36e940693a

Seriously.

Its NOT that hard. That took me less than a second. Stop being lazy...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 22:08 pm 

hmmmm that's not quite the information that I asked for......

Im not being lazy iv searched all over the web for the information that I want, which is a complete list of the vehicles (of all models) and artillery used by the 12th SS in Normandy not just a Wikipedia page about them which doesn't give this information. I AM NOT a lazy researcher. I have searched many times for a list of this information on the internet and have had no luck so far, if I knew where to find this information I would not ask on here so if you are just going to be patronising and unhelpful then please don't post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 22:13 pm 
1000+ Poster

I'm not. If you scrolled down those pages you'd find more info,

You'd also realise its stupid to ask for the 'complete' list of vehicles they used throughout the campaign in Normandy owing to its nature.

I've actually got several books by me that has all that information, perhaps locating similar books over online sources would prove more useful?

Its basic homework... and I mean... most of those links weren't wiki. Use your head and you'll easily find it than resorting (clearly) to forums as a first resort...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 22:20 pm 

hmmmm this isnt my first option and never is I AM NOT LAZY!!.........

i know most of the links are wiki but i have searched that and similar things many times and have never found what i want all i want is a list of vehicles and artillery that the 12th SS were deployed with in Normandy whether any of it was destroyed or left behind due to aerial attacks

If any one has any books with relevant info in then I would love to know which books they are as I have read through several books about the 12th SS and SS divisions in Normandy and none have had the information that I wanted if they did I wouldn't be asking on here

sorry if I seem like I'm being a complete tw*t but I'm just annoyed at your assumptions if I knew where to get the information from trust me I really wouldn't be asking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 22:37 pm 
1000+ Poster

"12th SS were deployed with in Normandy whether any of it was destroyed or left behind due to aerial attacks"

Well...

That just sorta shows you don't know much about what happened to the 12th SS...

It'd be far better you doing your own work, far more rewarding...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 22:48 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A
swiper has pointed out what you wanted :wink:
http://ww2total.com/WW2/History/Orders- ... isions.htm
this was the 5th link down from the google search he did for you.....might be what you were looking for by the looks of it. he's pointed you in the right direction to use initiative :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 22:50 pm 

you really aren't reading what I'm writing are you (just to satisfy your own point of view). I know a lot about the 12th SS and all I'm saying is i would like to know (if possible) a list of what vehicles and artillery the 12th SS were deployed with when they went into action for the first time in Normandy. I know a lot of their vehicles where destroyed or left behind before they actually got to the battlefield due to allied aerial attacks (as read from a book I have which was written by a 12th SS veteran!!) so from this I would like to know how many of what vehicles and artillery they had and actually used in battle.

But anyway I cant be bothered with this post any more because of time wasters, if anyone has any useful info that they would like to share then please PM me :)

once again sorry for seeming like a tw*t

Regards

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 22:52 pm 
1000+ Poster

The full ORBAT and table of equipment could be tracked down through those lists...

TBH the only time waster here was yourself, not for really doing elementary reading (where this stuff will be in the Appendix) or enough digging...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 23:02 pm 

Wulfrik thank you for pointing that link out i had missed that due to being a bit frustrated, it wasnt the complete list that i was looking for but its a good help and a good start so thank you and thank you swiper sorry I missed that and sorry for being a d*ck towards you many appoligies :oops: once again thank you for the information provided.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 23:12 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A
Comrade Kirk wrote:
Wulfrik thank you for pointing that link out i had missed that due to being a bit frustrated, it wasnt the complete list that i was looking for but its a good help and a good start so thank you and thank you swiper sorry I missed that and sorry for being a d*ck towards you many appoligies :oops: once again thank you for the information provided.

no worries :) , good luck with further reading and research

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 0:16 am 

Ok after a little time to cool down from that i maybe should have been more definative with what i wanted, i know that the 12th SS used a large number of different vehicles but what i want to know is exactly how many of what types of vehicles they used such as what were they given as troop transport and how many what were they using for recon vehicles, what guns and vehicles did their anti tank units use. Iv heard that they were issued with a lot of kubels and swimwangens if this is true how many and who used them id also like to know how many of what artillery pieces they were issued including things like mortars and anti aircraft guns

Cheers

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:57 am 

I suspect that the information you wish to collect will need PROPER research.

By that I mean you will need to study many sources, take notes, cross reference and collate. You are unlikely to find what you want laid out for you for the taking. This is going to take time and effort on your part and will require you to access proper resources e.g. books, museums, libraries etc. and not just do a quick google search. A large part of your research will be simply finding out the places the information may be.

Put in the effort and good look.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:28 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
I think Botty is right. What you seek isn't readily available, you may have to collate it from many sources.
It may prove long, hard work but at the end you will have a book that wouldn't be to hard to get published.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."