WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:01 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 21:03 pm 

Group: The Best.
Ive recently begun re-enacting and have chosen the 9th SS panzer div as my first persona due to first hand accounts and historical evidence from a close friends relative ( Obersturmbanfuhrer Herbert von Wrobel in charge of II Battalion 9.Pz Regt).

I woud like anyones advice on the best items of uniform to add to my collection relating to their various areas of operation throughout the war. Ive chosen to equip myself with a Russian SVT-40 as the unit served along the easton front alot in the war and the germans captured and re-issued many of these rifles ( if you have any pics of SS with this rife i woud like to see please)

I have full herringbone HBT, SS cap, Plain tree smock, jack boots, belt ( need pouches if anyone knows where i can get SVT pouches)

if anyone has more info on the Korps or regiment i would appreciate it. pics would be great.

And please advice and constrictive criticism is very welcome.

cheers!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 21:37 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 53rd Welsh
Have you read Reynolds book on II SS Panzer Corps? Should have some info you are looking for...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 21:45 pm 

cheers mate! on order :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:45 pm 

Loads of pics of SS with SVT40s on the net,heres a few for you

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 14:11 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Siggy, concentrate on the getting the basics spot on first. As well as your kit, how to wear it...your footdrill...

Deciding to base your impression around a captured SVT seems a little premature.....can you strip and reassemble a K98 blindfolded? This would have been bread and butter for any SS recruit before finishing basic training...long before being issued a captured Soviet rifle.

Have you considered joining an established unit? These guys kow their stuff:

http://www.normandyarnhem.co.uk/

Gruss,

Schultze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 14:33 pm 

Cheers guys, I based my impression around an SVT because I already had one. So its saves me £250 looking for a K98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 19:50 pm 

Quote:
Have you read Reynolds book on II SS Panzer Corps? Should have some info you are looking for...

sorry to say but its a waist of money ! 8) (have bought it also... :evil: )

The only two books I know worth the money are Tieke's Im Feuersturm letzter Kriegsjahre: II. SS-Panzerkorps mit 9. und 10. SS-Division "Hohenstaufen" und "Frundsberg and ofcourse Furbringer's book '9.SS Panzer Division'.
All other publication published yet are for 99 % a 1:1 copy of the first two mentioned, so its the best to buy the sourch....

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 21:47 pm 

I would seriously advise chosing a k98 as your first weapon. Like every other axis reenactor would....You may manage to pull off an SVT laying around an eastern front display, but remember we portray the masses - that'd be the Soldat with his karbiner...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 21:53 pm 

Life would be so boring if we all focused on portraying the masses. Its historically correct and creates a talking point. When i find a K98 for the right price ill buy one. but to save an extra expense, ill stick with the SVT i have. Cheers for the advice thoe, its always welcome :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 22:00 pm 

SiggyScott wrote:
Life would be so boring if we all focused on portraying the masses.

I hope you're not planning on joining a group with an attitude like that. Your SVT won't last long if you do join a group.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 22:06 pm 

No attitude. Im just interested while acting as a member of Hohenstaufen to portray a soldier that uses an SVT in the hope to educate others about how the germans used other weapons than the GI K98. As i said, it creates a nice conversion. My next weapon with be a PPSH, to further portray the use of non german weapons. If people have a problem with that then thats fine. I cant make people like it. But i value your opinion and your contribution to the thread.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 22:15 pm 

You're right, you can't make people like it. Any group you plan on joining won't like it either.

You should be looking at getting your standard issue kit bang on(including a 98k), before trying to get away with an enemy weapon, never mind 2 enemy weapons and no 98k. There is more to the 9th SS's history than the eastern front anyway. You wouldn't be carrying an enemy weapon with little to no chance of the supply chain having Russian ammunition - remember it was struggling with every day supplies and German ammunition throughout the war.... All very well(in theory) when you were on an offensive roll through enemy territory where Rusky 762 wouldn't be too difficult to come by, but those days didn't last forever.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 22:22 pm 

well as said, when i find a well priced K98 and have around £400 spare. I will consider compiling with the masses.

P.S I never intended to go without buying one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 14:01 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: Hirschberg Society
Concentrate on getting your basic uniform and field equipment appropriate to the period you are portraying, first.
Avoid the empty breadbag syndrome(a personal bete noir).
Buy a greatcoat before winter clothing, every landser was issued with one.
Study as many photos as you can to see how it was worn. Take advice from the Alter Haase,
The fact remains, any non-standard kit i.e. that which is not detailed in your Soldbuch would be confiscated by the Feld Gendarmerei as soon as you were pulled out of action.
The conversation, couched in unsympathetic tones goes, 'it's in your Soldbuch, where is it?
This is not in your Soldbuch, why have you got it?'
Save the £250 and get a K98k.

Schweiß speichert Blut
"...the future is clearly known, only the past has to be rewritten"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 14:53 pm 
3000+ Poster

Graeme and Brians advice is spot on.

If you insist on being "too special" to do it right - you'll just be seen as a complete farb.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 18:11 pm 

Never said i was "too special". I value constructive criticism. As I stated at the beginning of the post, my current personality is based on accounts from a friend on his SS relative and from his personal accounts my use of weapon and other select items are added to the ensemble. When I buy my new Richard A Underwood uniform, he will be issued with standard issue weaponry.

Again, thanks for the advice.