WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 19:52 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 19:56 pm 

Ok folks,I need some information on what equipment and uniform would be used by members of the Propagandakompanie in France in 43/44.
I assume a camera and tripod,binoculars? But would they have been armed?
Also would they have been attached to the WH/SS and what insignia would they have worn (cuffband collar tabs etc.) also would they have worn the army/ss eagle or something else?
I have tried to find good clear pics on the net but as of yet no luck!
Thanks guys!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 17:09 pm 

each part of the army (Wehrmacht, KM, Waffen-SS and Luftwaffe) had it's own Kriegsberichter. So they had their own uniforms and different cuffbands. the waffenfarbe for the Waffen-SS was Lemon yellow.

I don't know if they were armed, but I know they had often protection (bodyguard)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 14:02 pm 

Just some info and photos for you
SS-Standarte Kurt Eggers was formed in the January of 1940 ,It was first to be known as the SS-Krigsberichter Kompanie it was to be the Perent unit of the SS-Krigsberichter its members were to be assigned to the 4 SS units in the low countries and France,and the Balkans
The unit was to see anther change in the August of 1941 when it was upgraded to Battalion size and was now known as SS-Krigsberichter Abetilung it was to expand to regimental size in 1943
The regimental name comes from Kurt Eggers who was the former editor of the SS Magazine Das Schwarze KorpsEggers was serving with the Wiking Div when he was killed in action in 1943 near Kharkov
This unit was a all volunteer unit with many foreign voluteers who would normaly be with there National formation,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 17:09 pm 

Thanks Guys! Am I right in thinking that the only difference in the uniform is the cuff title?
The reason I ask is becouse I have just bourght a vintage camera from the early 40s and would like to get some authentic looking pics next season,I think the right uniform helps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 18:18 pm 

In the book foreign legions of the third reich on p.85 is a Flemish warcorespondent shown of the Flemish legion.
He wears a Flemish legion shield, a cuffband 'Legion Flandern' and on top of that cuffband he wears the cuffband SS-Kriegsberichter. like I've written he would have had also lemon yellow shoulderboads.

Olivier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 22:11 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Give Les Hearn a PM, he does Propaganda Kompanie........

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 0:02 am 

a few lads in Das Reich also...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 0:30 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: 'Heia Safari' DAK Living History Group.
I'm actually heading to Chatham on April 11th to sell a load of my kit. Amongst it I have an M44 tunic badged up as SS-Kriegsberichter with the Kurt Eggers cuff title, if you're interested?

'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:16 am 

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I could offer some info for completeness sake:

I am very well acquainted with an old Propagandakompanie soldier who served first in the West, later in Russia, and asked after some of these questions. He carried very little kit with him, minimum he would need for however long he would be away from his billet. Often travelled with infantry who were always better armed than him. Was issued a 98k but always left it behind... indeed when inspection time rolled around he would pay a local Russian to get it cleaned up and shiny. Typical field armament for him was a pistol carried in the pocket: Mauser HSC, Browning, or a captured M1895 Nagant, depending on what he could get at the time.

As for insignia, Propagandkompanien were attached to Nachrichten early in the war which should mean yellow boards, but he recalls wearing Heer white Waffenfarbe with the cuffband. After 1942 the cuffband disappeared and they wore their own Waffenfarbe of Mausgrau.

Hope this is helpful.