WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 0:01 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 15:22 pm 
2000+ Poster

I've come across an unusual butterfly type knife.It has ss markings on it with an Rbz number on it.The blade is etched "carl eickhorn-solingen" in an oval-shape with what looks like a squirrel in the middle.It has,in german script on the handle "ss-streifendienst".

Has anyone ever seen one of these before?i'll post a photo later.

Ta

Manny

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/ ... _face1.gif

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 16:07 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hi Manny, it worthless I'll give you a fiver for it. :wink:

Cheers Darren

Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 18:36 pm 

Location: just outside independent islamic repubic of blackburn
Group: KP-1 das management
Quote:
Has anyone ever seen one of these before?
yes mate sorry to say it was on the joke shop stall with the 'adolf hitler pen knife'treat this item with great surspision!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 19:03 pm 

Group: Die Alte Hasen
You also see these sold as Fallschirmjager knives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 19:22 pm 
2000+ Poster

fake as Jordans Titties

Also Dislexic :lolroll:

Post subject: Fake...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 20:48 pm 
2000+ Poster

Ok,ta.

I'm not an expert so i had to ask.Appreciate the feedback.I take it from the replies that you guys have seen these before then? Not being funny,an honest question as i've never heard of them.Til now that is!

Well,here's some photos to keep you amused AND so that others can possibly learn from this too!

Any more info welcomed!

Manny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:35 am 

hello, yes i sold one recently for £65.00 exactly the same. they are fakes from the early 1970s. they are what could be called a collectors dream, every single stamp on them you could wish for. belive it or not, originals did exist. you will find yours not bieng quite up to scratch and made out of aluminuim. the ss proof house was very thorough with quality. the originals, are belived to be a prototype for the ss paras. they never actually got made in even small numbers, although some are reputed to exist. these were made to decieve collectors, but funnily enough have become sort after collectors items in there own right. you will find them for sale now and again pushing up to the £100 mark. you can laugh, but these are illeagal weapons, that, are not illeagle because they are regarded as collectors items, and have appeared in auction catologes. if you carried one down the street you would stand a good chance of getting done. but also a copy of a m18 trench knife with knuckle duster attached will also get you donein the same situation. so yes, they did exist, yours will be a copy, and yes they are worth money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:37 am 

forgot to mention, the value is because of the type of knife they are, not the ww2 conection with collectors of knifes. just like sword sticks fetch more money than a walking cane. it appeals to two sets of collectors, such as your knife will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:49 am 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Group: WW2 Living History Association Ltd www.ww2lha.com
Except...

Section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 and Criminal Justice act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988 states that "It is an offence to manufacture, sell or hire or offer for sale or hire, expose or have in possession for the purposes of sale or hire or lend or give to any other person any of the following weapons (not being antiques, that is manufactured 100 years before the date of the offence): balisong or butterfly knife, knuckleduster, telescopic truncheon, push dagger, shuriken, shaken or death star, handclaw, footclaw, manrikgusari, swordstick, hollow kubatan, blowpipe, kusari game, kyoketsu shoge or belt buckle knife".
The act goes on to define all these items, and a butterfly knife is thus described: "being a blade enclosed by its handle, which is designed to split down the middle, without the operation of a spring or other mechanical means, to reveal the blade"

Flick knives and gravity knives are also prohibited in the same manner, but under section 1 of the Restriction of offensive weapons acts 1959 & 1961.

I'll leave you all to draw your own conclusions!

LHA members

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:58 am 
2000+ Poster

Very interesting!! In my opinion,it's an 'ugly' article.So,watch ebay,it may just appear..!

Thanks for the replies.Dave,i'll read and inwardly-digest what you've posted,cheers.

Manny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 13:42 pm 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Group: WW2 Living History Association Ltd www.ww2lha.com
Hi Manny,

Just wanted to emphaise I'm not trying to play at barrack room lawyers, I'm genuinely concerned that someone will one day get caught, in all innocence, trying to sell either one of these or the Lufty gravity knives on as an item of re-enacting kit. A bit like the problems several people encountered a few years back with rifle grenade lauchers.

Cheers

Dave

LHA members

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 15:27 pm 
2000+ Poster

No worries Dave understand where you're coming from.If i do sell it on,it'll be advertised for what it is.

Manny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:32 pm 

if you start going in to the law side of things, you would have to get a good lawyer who could prove where they were made, and in which year. that i doubt very much, unless if you can actually find merlin, who apparently passed the bar a few hundred years ago, and who is rather experienced from what ive read. as for the offensive weapon of over 100 years ago to be exempt. sorry i disagree, how come is not illeagle to sell, any bayonet over 6 inches, fantasy swords and daggers, reproduction grenades and such like. sword sticks are still made today and sold in the uk as originals. if a butterfly knife was made before the new law came into effect, such as this was made only to decieve antique militaria collectors, based on a genuine example, who could actually prove it was real, unless you had a recognised panel of experts to study each example. a police officer can confiscate any object seemed to be illeagle. a police officer is not an expert. a court of law have the power to decide. this also can be challenged, its called an appeal. if you win, you get it back. i am not stupid enough to start baiting the law and i dont wish to chastise. i am stating a fact. it is very difficult to classifi antiques as illeagle. its a mine field we all know to well. i would suggest your example stays within the confines of your collection, the military community, the antique trade or a museam (who i would suspect would not be interested). you can also hand it in. along with reproduction knuckleduster m18 knifes, repro gravity knifes, bundes grav knifes and pretty much a lot of the items re-enactors wear, yanks german brit. be honest guys, no one is going to commit a crime with one of these if you actually have seen one. you would soon realise that it would be difficult to cut bread with one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:57 am 

MyAssAmDragon wrote:
I've come across an unusual butterfly type knife.It has ss markings on it with an Rbz number on it.The blade is etched "carl eickhorn-solingen" in an oval-shape with what looks like a squirrel in the middle.It has,in german script on the handle "ss-streifendienst".

Has anyone ever seen one of these before?i'll post a photo later.

Ta

Manny

I want to see that pic of that butterfly knife you've said.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:53 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: independent knowledgeable Promenader
So is it illegal to have a original or repro 1918 knuckleduster knife on your person at an event in which you are displaying,regards John.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 17:13 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Yes.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."