WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 23:24 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Swedish Army in WWII
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:48 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FHF / 150th Engineer Combat Battalion, XIIth Corps
Anyone interested in getting together to represent the Swedish army in WWII contact me.

Also, look in the "others" section of the forum for photos and info about Swedish army uniforms etc.

Ashley

www.reenactor.se (Essex Regt.)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org (150th Engineer Combat Battalion)

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Swedish Army in WWII
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 14:36 pm 

Group: Greek Army 1897 - 1949
Sorry to be an ass, but for sake of argument what exactly did this country contribute to the global conflicts
when it has not fired in anger since 1814?

"That small, coward country"

Winston Churchill referring to Sweden during the war

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 15:05 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Well, nothing much really. They sensibly kept out of it all. They were however, fully mobilised and prepared for an invasion (German or Soviet). They also experienced rationing, shortages, the fear of invasion, the occassional bombing, conscription and seperation from loved ones.

In broader terms of "contributing to the global conflict", there was strong (unofficial) support for Finland in her war against the USSR with thousands of Swedes joining the Finnish army. The Swedish government equipped these volunteers with the new M39 uniform, even before the Swedish army got it. Later they supported the Norwegian "Police" who were given "commando" training in Sweden before disappearing over the border into Norway, and at the end of the war they equipped the Danish "Police".

Then there was Bofors AB, who sold the patents to the 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft gun to just about everybody (quite a contribution! :lol: ).

On an individual scale, many Swedes joined foreign forces to fight in the war. A large number joined the SS to fight against the Soviets. A few joined the Soviets to fight against the Germans. Some joined the RAF and the Royal Navy, and some joined the US forces (mostly those with family in the US). There was even a Swede in the OSS, and on the other side, one in the Abwehr!

Then you have the POW exchanges that happened in Sweden. Germany took British POWs to Sweden and swapped them for German ones and vice versa.

And then there was the Swedish Red Cross, who travelled throughout Europe towards the end of the war with humanitarian aid etc, and who brought back a large number of concentration camp survivors for a new life in Sweden. It was also the head of the Swedish Red Cross that Himmler asked to contact Eisenhower to broker a ceasefire with the western allies.

So, not a lot compared to some nations, but more than others. Churchill was still sore at them for refusing to let a British expeditionary force travel through Sweden to get to Finland (We were going to help them fight the Soviets - that would have been interesting....)

Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 16:57 pm 

Thanks for getting my prompt the nice way!

Still, worth reenacting? I wonder...but then again what is reenactment and its purpose-?
I am at a loss.

Maybe reenacting a Sweedish miner of iron ore is teaching more history than a
Swedish soldier, what do you say about my irreverent comment?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 21:11 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

And your point is? A swede has much more interest in seeing a swedish soldier being reenacted than a greek one. Most people in england will be much more interested in seeing a german or british or american soldier being reenacted than either a greek or swedish one.

What all of these soldiers have in common was the fact that they for the most part didnt want be doing what they were. Surely the feelings and experiences of the men and women being reenacted warrant their 'worth' as a subject to reenact? What is your motivation for reenacting-how many italian soldiers your army killed? We all have different motivations. Why does a home front reenactor reenact a housewife?

Bit of a pointless question mate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:05 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

BASILii wrote:
Maybe reenacting a Sweedish miner of iron ore is teaching more history than a Swedish soldier,

How do you see this? Are we "teaching history"?

Ignoring political history, which virtually all reenactors do, the social aspects of life during the war in Sweden warrant as much study and representation as any other nation - at least in the opinion of the people who are interested in each particular country.

For example, I have never researched the Greek army taking part in the war, because I have had no interest in that area, and the only time I have ever thought of it was while watching Captain Correlli's Mandolin :lol: . You on the other hand are passionate about it, because that is where your interest lies.

It is a foolish thing to question the validity of anyone's choice of reenactment or living history presentation.

BASILii wrote:
what do you say about my irreverent comment?

I would ask what your problem is? :? So you do not see the worth of presenting a Swedish soldier - so what. My reasons for doing this is an interest in the country and it's people. The uniforms I have are badged up as my wife's grandfather's were - the family connection. His photographs show that it was not all nice happy times in that country.

Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 14:37 pm 

Methinks...

We started fine and it went a bit out of hand

Nobody 'questions' your motives for choosing your theme and I am sorry
if that's what you thought. I am just being the advocate for the devil...to tease a conversation.

I argued that there are a hundred reasons for living history/ reenactment and yours
is not self-evident... I wanted to learn more...

As I see it, the core purpose of the first is learning/teaching 'history' (though I agree, a tiny fraction of it),
the second implies some 'action' and in my humble knowledge
of history, the iron (and other exports) to Nazi Germany was the single
most important input of Sweden during the war, arguably extended the 3rd Reich
expiry for few months (that's where the miner comment came from).

But of course all other reasons are equally valid, (maybe apart from the glorification
of specific idealogies which overlap with criminality) ; I am not an elitist!
Even uniform-equipment exhibition is good enough reason, I myself am quite into
"what xyz army looked like"; but if disconnected completely
from history it could become the anorak's fancy dress party, no?

By the way Greece (as many, many other countries) would never have entered the war
if not treacherously attacked by Fascist Italy. Being neutral is a great achievement
but not often admired in classic reading of history...

Hope you get where I come from, and all the best.:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 15:23 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I do now mate. That's the trouble with forums - you can't hear the tone of voice in which comments are intended. Sorry I was a bit quick to snap! :) :wink:

Lets see some photos of your Greek uniforms in your new Greek thread. I too am all for non-mainstream presentations.

Looks like Sweden and Greece are new freinds! :lol:

Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 15:36 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
For uniforms you can convert the hundreds of german tunics that flood the market. You'll have to move the pockets, add a seam up the back and die them grey?
Perhaps the chinese will make a repro?

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 15:49 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

LeMaitre wrote:
Perhaps the chinese will make a repro?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have actually started a rumour that I am converting an original heer tunic to a Swedish one just to get my own back! :)

Luckily there is still just about enough original bits surviving, so no need for repros - just yet!

Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 21:45 pm 

Group: Sadly none as yet
They had quite a few original Swedish tunics in Sabre Sales in Portsmouth last time I was there. Hope that's of some use.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 20:34 pm 

Ah the Swedes n WW2? Well my Swedish mother remembers her father in kit taking turns to man the towers etc but really its the Swedish volunteers who went to Finland (Svenskafrillvinga or something like that). My Great uncle fought in the Winter War so how about a Finnish reenactment society! I'm already in contact with KevOS4 getting kit (but somewhere closer than USA would be nicer to get kit as England is closer to Finland than US) :|

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:49 am 

Group: 5 Ilves Divisioona
Terve!
If anyone is genuinely interested in reenacting Finnish, i am a member of a group reenacting a Finnish Jäger regimentI. if you need any help with obtaining gear, Finnish or Swedish, i am willing to help you get whatever you need. I am also a member of an historical group recreating the Norrland Artillery regiment. We have a gun, which we sometimes hitch up to a team of horses.
Kit is relatively easy to come by, with the possible exception of Finnish summer tunics. We recently took part in a show at Parola Tank Musuem, near Hämeen Linna, in southern Finland:

Cut and paste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgIbNA0aeQE

Here, we are riding a Soviet built T-26. Get in touch if you are interested. Or seek me on FB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 18:05 pm 

Walte

I'm part of a UK Finnish group the Unknown Soldiers so anyone who can get hold of kit is welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:31 am 

Group: 5 Ilves Divisioona
Look me up on Facebook. We have a group page too. You'll find me as Adrian Rosenlund Hudson.
We get all of our stuff from Finland, and unfortunately none of our suppliers have mail order...well, except for the place where we get our summer jackets, which were made for the film Tali Ihantala, and possibly Tuntimaton Sotilas. Unfortunately the man who owns the shop is greedy beyond belief and thinks that the clothes and kit he has are worth far more than they actually are. The result is that he has a bad reputation, and hardly anybody buys the stuff, and i heard he's on the scuppers financially. He even tried to tell me that mine was actually in the war! LoL. He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.
Well, anyway, i'll let you know what the place is called when i can find out, but other than that, the best way is to come over to Finland next time we go, join in with what we're doing, and we'll take you to the shops! i paid 40 euro for new boots, 45 for an original Czech made helmet, 190 for my summer jacket (yeah, i know), 4 for original mess tins, 5 for a bottle....i could go on for ages. Oh, and i'll help you find proper Puuko too. The other alternative is i do some shopping on our next trip in February (winter training. Hardcore archeological experimentation) and send you some stuff. We usually go by ferry so weight won't be an issue. You're welcome to join us on that one too. We get our winter uniforms and caps from the far east, but we have to change the buttons. We use 60's pattern bread bags which are only a little different from wartime ones. These and rucksacks are available.
I think we can work together anyway. You'll find a welcome here in Sweden and in Finland.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 17:48 pm 

Walte

The Finnish discussion forums are on the site below (us at Beltring last year!) - join in on the Finnish discussion sites

http://panzergrenadier.co.uk/forum/viewto ... =9&t=15087

cya there!