WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:30 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thunder From Heaven
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 14:18 pm 
1000+ Poster

The June event for the group will be next weekend at Tankfest, situated at the Tank Museum, Bovingdon in Dorset. The group will be displaying as the 17th US Airborne Division when they were attacking Munster around the end of March / start of April 1945. Come along and have a chat with us, if you are in the area.

Colin

Living my dream my way

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 14:16 pm 
1000+ Poster

Back from Bovington

Another good show a Tankfest, The Tank Museum delivered everything as requested

Churchill Tank ,digger for trenches , fire wood and bales of straw

Nice showers and clean toilets

Weather fantastic!! Like the Tunisian desert

Met some really interesting ppl, One a U.S collector of Colt .45 1911's who was rather taken with Colins Union Switch and Signal deact .45

Another U.S man whos father fought in the 'Golden Triangle' of Kiehman/Bourschied/Ringel in Luxembourg in the 80th U.S Infantry Division and in the battle of the schiedal woods so well known to Colin and myself

Dan Snow of TV fame took an interest in our display,spending a while talking to us

Ian from Combat dealers spoke to Colin about our mutual friend Marie France Gregoire who he had just seen in La Gleize on a visit with Bruce

The BAR the museum gave us for he battle ran like a dream,ALOT louder than the one we have used from Oxlade before

Sitting waiting for the battle while the museums Panzer 3 and Tiger 1 and Bruces Sdkfz 251 trundle around just in front of us,the theme of Operation Market Garden for the battle was ideal as both these tanks played such a big role at Arnhem Bridge with KG Hummel and Mielke

And spending £10 on a 1943 dated A F & H M43 shovel made my day

No complaints and well worth the 400 mile trip

Living my dream my way

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 14:43 pm 

Group: Thunder From Heaven
You have got to give it to him,

Seeing as he got away with it for that long.

Yep enjoyable days thanks to all. Only thing that put a down to it was the rain at the last minuite.
Other than that great. Thanks to all.

EX THUNDER FROM HEAVEN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 15:27 pm 

Group: AFLHA
Yep Max, have to agree with you on that. Shame about that rain that started just as we were packing up and finished just as i pulled off the event for my drive home!!!!

Absolutley cracking event, as Colin said earlier, with the event organiser being very friendly and helpful and supplying everything that was promised.........although the ammo distributing for the battle left a litle to be admired, not the fault of the organiser though, more the armourer and receivers of their allocations. :x Not too sure about the glider in the battle. I dont think the public were convinced it was a wartime one!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Superb weather (it always seems to be wall to wall sunshine at Bovvy) and some good displays about. Loads of public with many of our foreign friends comming to chat. Really liked the american coupe who talked for ages about their interst in WW2 and how i should 'go visit him in Washington state' so that i could have a go with his TWO live firing Garands!!!! ........... I wish!! As well as the guy who chatted to me for ages about all of the war graves that has been privalliged to dive on over the world. Some of the sights he has seen under the sea have sounded amazing.

Some very memorable moments from the group too.........some very forgettable one too, isnt that right Cofi???

Master and Commander and his faithful Battlecat
I came in like a wrecking ball.....
Braaaazzillllll braaaaaziiiillllllll......
Youve been Nailed!!! (awesome new gameshow)
Babewatch :shock:
Mr Politically Correct in full swing
Excuse me Mr Police Officers, bank robbers coming through (whilst returning with the BAR)
Helga...............
Mega BBQ that almost fed everyone there......
Ammo..........What ammo?..........
You will...........Lave it! (in my best Ray Winston accent, the most cockney cockney in the world)

And many many more memorable things that made the weekend well worth the journey. Always a entertaining time with you loonies!!

Great to catch up with Rich and Grimmy, glad things are well. Also very nice to catch up with Maxaimus and Toby too, very welcomed additions to the group!!

Many thanks from me personally to Colin and Ian again for all the hard work and effort that went into organising our participation this year. An event that has been slagged off by others, but has never disspointed us as a group.

Dont think the organisers would see our threads, but id like to thanks them also, as very well organised event with well thought out ideas for a change. The theme of the event and battle made it far easier for the public to relate to it and the number of people through the gates was great!

Im off for a cheeky Magners........or two........

P.S. I will bust you up if you insist on the red track suit and blonde wig idea. NOT FUNNY! :evil:

Well, what I mean by that, sir, is... if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disgused as another dude!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 15:43 pm 
1000+ Poster

American Coupe? :lol:

Battle commander :lol:

Bet you LAVED my cuddly battlecat impression :shock:

Living my dream my way

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 17:09 pm 

I almost forgot. The BBQ mmmmmm.

I now know why they call it legendary.
A personal thanks from me Chris.

EX THUNDER FROM HEAVEN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 18:16 pm 
1000+ Poster

Well that's another Tankfest done and dusted, and in my humble opinion one of the very best, with wall to wall sunshine. The display was inundated with the paying public, and we were busy all of the day on both days.
The Tank museum delivered what it said it would and thanks to Vicki Pol for her help. The battle was very well scripted being based on the film a Bridge to Far, rather than the historical facts. Our group was tasked with capturing the Grave bridge, which was a little shorter that the original, to say the least ! Many thanks to Tony Sterling for his work on the battle scenario.
Thanks to all of my guys, for their tireless work over the weekend, as it was at times very hard and hot, too. Individual thank you's to the following guys for making my workload lighter.
Ian, for working on the scenario, and getting all the kit ready, and all the work packing the van. Then unpacking the van Chris, For the sign, and for the mega BBQ, enjoyed by all, including the groups around us.
Richard and Mitchell, for hiring the van and bringing the other tent, we could not have done it without you.
Max, well done to the youngest member, and a credit to his parents, who I would like to thank for the case of beers and the rustic bread and eggs for Sunday lunch.
To all the guys, a real thank you for all the work setting up the display, and then taking it down again.

The banter in the evenings was well worth the driving from one side of the country to the other. The quote of the weekend belongs to Ian, which impressed one and all, which I cannot possibly repeat except to say " you have got to admire the guy, he got away **** ** *** 50 **** ! ! !

Well done guys,

Colin

Living my dream my way

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 18:09 pm 
1000+ Poster

I have received an email from Vicki Pol of the Royal Tank Museum, expressing her thanks to our group for our work to enhance the Churchill tank we were given for the weekend. Our efforts bought life to the tank and our scenario of the US/British attack on Munster on the 1st of April 1945, when the 17th US Airborne Division supported by the 6th Guards Tank Brigade, took the city.
Vicki wished to say thank you to all the group members for their help and toil over the weekend.

best regards,

Colin

Living my dream my way

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 14:54 pm 
1000+ Poster

Guys,

I have had another email from the Tank Museum, this time from the battle co-ordinator Tony Sterling. In which he states " please pass on to your men my thanks for their professional attack on the Grave Bridge during the Market-Garden battle".
Well done to all.

Colin

Living my dream my way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 18:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Guys

Bovington was as previous years a great success, In fact I have to agree that it was for me and Beiber anyway, the best to date.
Even if it did start out bad for us with a flat tyre in the hired van! Better arriving late then never.

BBQ as always was great, and it was so refreshing to actually receive my Chinese on the Saturday night :-)

Public interaction was fantastic and made the hot days go quick and enjoyable. Some very interesting people were met over the 2 days.

Well done also to the museum for delivering the goods, apart from as mentioned by Chris the ammo, but hey, there is elsewhere to lay that f*** up !

Great show, great public, great organisers and well, great group of guys to share a fox hole with.....

Detling...............it's red track suit time!

http://www.thunderfromheaven.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:06 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA • CHALK • PROUD MEMBER OF GPRA • SFAM
Any photos of the Bovvy event yet guys?

Matt

http://chalknumber.blogspot.com/

There's only two men that I trust; one of them is me... the other is not you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:22 am 
1000+ Poster

Hopefully Matt, very soon Chris is working on it .

Next event for the group is Kelmarsh Hall this weekend, at the invitation of AFLHG and 2nd Armoured in Europe.

Colin

Living my dream my way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 15:07 pm 

Group: AFLHA
Sorry, been caught up with 'Real Life' issues. Damn that real life!

Anyhow, a selection of photographs taken from our recent event at the Bovington Tank Museum.

More to follow with LOTS of public interaction. We were Very popular with the general public.

Well, what I mean by that, sir, is... if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disgused as another dude!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 16:21 pm 

Group: Allied Forces Living History Association.
de45 wrote:
Hopefully Matt, very soon Chris is working on it .

Next event for the group is Kelmarsh Hall this weekend, at the invitation of AFLHG and 2nd Armoured in Europe.

Colin

Look forward to meeting up this weekend, pack some sunshine!!

Russ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:08 pm 

Group: 2nd Armoured In Europe
Colin or Ian could you kindly bring my "Cheque" book with you please old beans.....muchos gracias

See you in the field.....no doubt a report will follow

Regards

Lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 14:34 pm 

40 winks !!

EX THUNDER FROM HEAVEN

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 101  Next