WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:20 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 15:41 pm 

Hello,

So I have been having some trouble with the skeleton bottle holders, issue being they do not meet up at the top of my bottle, I have tried three different holders from different places and none of them work, they are all too short. I was wondering if anyone had some helpful hints or suggestions to either make the bottle fit or actually, am I using the right bottle, were there others produced that look the same but are a different size?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 16:07 pm 

Group: 2nd Btln Royal Warwicks
Hi Freddie,

Admins might move the post over to the British section of the forum as this one is for groups so if the post dissapears have a look down there :)

With regards to the holders, are the bottles and cradles all original or are they reproduction?

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 16:12 pm 

Ah, yes didn't notice I posted this in the groups section, thought it was in British. Nonetheless, all the cradles are original as is the bottle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 pm 
1000+ Poster

I have had this problem before which may be due to the webbing shrinking during manufacture or since.

Obviously once the bottle is in the carrier you unbuckle the whole assembly to drink rather than try and pull the bottle out.
I would suggest soaking the carrier and try and stretch the straps to do up whilst wet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 21:24 pm 

Group: 2nd Btln Royal Warwicks
REME 245 wrote:
I have had this problem before which may be due to the webbing shrinking during manufacture or since.

Obviously once the bottle is in the carrier you unbuckle the whole assembly to drink rather than try and pull the bottle out.
I would suggest soaking the carrier and try and stretch the straps to do up whilst wet.

^^
Agreed, sound advice! Can be quite a struggle but should be doable (as far as I'm aware the sizes are pretty much the same). When you do get them done up, wet or dry, I would suggest leaving the bottle in and the carrier done up for as long as you can to stretch the webbing (I've had similar issues filling up the small pack with all the gear and trying to get it fastened.

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:24 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Yes, the wet webbing technique is the answer.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:05 am 
1000+ Poster

If you have read their Book Mills also lost their facility for shrinking webbing prior to manufacture due to a bombing raid so for the rest of the war they allowed a shrinkage allowance when they manufactured the finished product.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:27 am 

I soak the webbing, do it up over the bottle (usually with some effort) and shove a couple of biros under each strap. That way when it's dry it dries with enough space to take the bottle out, put it in and do up the straps with ease.