WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 21:02 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:13 am 

Thank you Kevin,

that is a great and very informative link, exactly what I was looking for!! The k98 is (hopefully!) on its way, and I will post pictures when it arrives! This is a deactivated rifle, but, will that still mean that I can strip the rifle down, and remove the stock?? Patrick.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 13:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Panzer Lehr
Yes you can still strip the deac down and remove the stock. Just has a pin in the barrell and the pin sawn off.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 14:37 pm 

Hi again, just an update and another question! My K98 is on its way, and should be here next week! It's a BCD 4 marked example, so it going to be an LSR. Right, my question: Will I have to change the safety and buttstock, if so, is it still possible to change the safety on a deac? Thanks :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 15:00 pm 

Sorry, but another question :lol: I've been looking into other peoples projects, and mentioned in most of them are "recoil rings", what are these, and do I need to buy these?
Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 15:14 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
Patty D wrote:
is it still possible to change the safety on a deac?

Yes. With the exception of the barrel being permanently pinned to the receiver, a deact K98 will fully strip.

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 15:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Patty D wrote:
Hi again, just an update and another question! My K98 is on its way, and should be here next week! It's a BCD 4 marked example, so it going to be an LSR. Right, my question: Will I have to change the safety and buttstock, if so, is it still possible to change the safety on a deac? Thanks :D

There is no need to change safety. It's up to you. The long safety does look great. I'm buying one next week hopefully at detling, then I can fit it lol.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 15:30 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Only generally seen on later war rifles with LSR mounts if I remember correctly?

Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 15:51 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I think you may be right. However I have seen early with them on. More likely to be added later, ie recently when dealers try and sell them. Lol.

The rifle your getting with a LSr on would be fine with one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 16:43 pm 

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies! So I will get a sniper safety to finish it off when I'm done. Can anyone help me with the recoil rings and the buttplate? Thanks again, much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 17:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The buttplate is the metal bit on the butt, which one depends on the year. What maker and year is the rifle?

The recoil rings are to do with the scope when mounted ie to help with recoil when the rifle is fired. I think it goes with the mount rings to stop movement. (I could be wrong)

Paul is that correct? Please correct me if I am wrong. Don't want to tell you the wrong thing. From what I have read on the refurbs it appears to be that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 17:57 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Recoil rings? Don't think I've heard of them. Patrick do you have any pics? As the only thing I can think of is the other method of securing the scope to the mount as opposed to rings, they are a sort if thin metal tie strap, find them commonly on ZF4 mounts.

Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 19:48 pm 

Oberleutnant wrote:
The buttplate is the metal bit on the butt, which one depends on the year. What maker and year is the rifle?

The recoil rings are to do with the scope when mounted ie to help with recoil when the rifle is fired. I think it goes with the mount rings to stop movement. (I could be wrong)

Paul is that correct? Please correct me if I am wrong. Don't want to tell you the wrong thing. From what I have read on the refurbs it appears to be that.

The butt that will be on my K98 will be the correct cupped metal buttplate, on a BCD 4 coded rifle. Sorry I should've been more specific, I meant, would I need the 'sniper' checked buttplate? With regards to recoil rings, I am also uncertain, but I guess, as you say, then are what they say they are! Thanks Kevin

Last edited by Patty D on Fri Aug 17, 2012 19:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 19:52 pm 

commando sniper wrote:
Recoil rings? Don't think I've heard of them. Patrick do you have any pics? As the only thing I can think of is the other method of securing the scope to the mount as opposed to rings, they are a sort if thin metal tie strap, find them commonly on ZF4 mounts.
Paul.

Hi Paul, I have also never heard of them, and I can't find any pictures, sorry, but I have just seen it coming up frequently in posts regarding K98 sniper rifles. At first I also thought about those metal tie strips used on the 'swept back' mount on the ZF4. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 21:06 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Patty D wrote:
Oberleutnant wrote:

The butt that will be on my K98 will be the correct cupped metal buttplate, on a BCD 4 coded rifle. Sorry I should've been more specific, I meant, would I need the 'sniper' checked buttplate? With regards to recoil rings, I am also uncertain, but I guess, as you say, then are what they say they are! Thanks Kevin

That's ok.
your buttplate will be fine. However checked buttplates were used on lsr k98's They were heavily checked. But the rifle wouldn't look wrong without. Sometimes personal preference is used. They were issued with them I believe, well some at least.

The rings are interesting. They appear to be what I thought. No one has a specific picture of the rings. Some on google images show some reinforcement by the scope rings. It will definitely be something to help the scope remain In place after firing, especially after they have been ranged and configured to shoot accurately.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:57 am 

Group: Atlantic Wall
Hi Patty D
Thought I'd point out as no-one else has. Don't go changing, updating, removing or replacing too much on your rifle. You could find yourself in hot water. Your using a deac to model a snipers scope basically. As soon as you start messing with the gun itself your on dodgy ground my friend. I'd leave the de-ac well alone.
Lots of people talk guns but simply don't understand the law. A de-ac is nothing more than a prop if you will. They serve a great purpose to anyone without an F.A.C or a section Five. But please DON'T start changing parts on the rifle. Especially if they have ANYTHING to do with the firing mechanism .
Regards. Big Gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 am 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Ahhh, here we go.....

Mounting a scope does not replace any pressure bearing parts on the rifle, nor does it modify any of the deactivation process, ie, welds, pins, slots/cuts etc...

Mounting a scope is classed as a "cosmetic change", which is allowed under home office law.

Let me point you to an extract of a letter that I have from the home office when I enquired about the legality of mounting a scope:

"Deactivated firearms are not covered by firearms legislation and are therefore not subject to control. The 1988 Act requires that one of the two Proof Houses, or some other person approved by the Secretary of State, has marked the firearm and provided a written certificate that it has been deactivated to the approved standard.

Provided the work you carry out allows the rifle to remain a deactivated firearm, as specified above and by Birmingham Proof House as stated in your letter, it will be possible to make cosmetic changes to it."

So, drilling and tapping into reciever side walls, tops of chambers etc is legal as long as you do not tamper with the actual original deactivation work carried out on it.

Paul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next