WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:07 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 20:36 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Short side rail and long side rail mounts are easy enough to drill and tap in your garage as they mount onto a flat, tge woodworking just requires some removal around where tge mount sits. It's a little more difficult with turret mounts as your drilling into a cylindrical section so a proper clamp setup and radial drill are required.

Yes, from memory the ssr was used pre-war and most of the way through, with 3 variants. The lsr was an attempt to standardise on a simple mount more later in the war.

Paul.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 20:40 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Oh yes, of you want a "snipers" rifle, don't go for the ZF41 as its a low power marksmanship aid and not a snipers scope. Not used for long range shooting as the sight picture is very small and eye relief rather long.

Everything WWA puts out snipers wise is repro, Nagants with PU's, Springfield's, SVT40's, K98 ZF41 combo' etc........

Paul.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 20:46 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Oberleutnant wrote:
Some of the rings just screw tight. Tbh depends on what rings you have.

Loving the ssr mount k98 very nice.

The only pic I have off mine on my IPad. Lol. Long side rail mount with Carl Zeiss Zeilever scope.

Good luck with the rifle. Nice to see it when it's done

Really like the earlier buttplate :D, would have prefered one of those on mine. Take it that's a 6x or 8x by the size of the front aperture?

Paul.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 21:03 pm 

WOW, I think I've had more than my fair share of the first class help, thanks everyone! :D

I've finally decided that I'm going for an lsr mount, from accumounts which I've heard very good things about! Mentioned, is the mounting process by 'Commando Sniper', so I take it that the some of wood where the mount sits, is shaved off, not totally removed back to the metal receiver? I think you get an instruction guide from accumounts with the mount (I hope! :lol: ). Thanks again to everyone for your help!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 21:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Panzer Lehr
commando sniper wrote:
Oberleutnant wrote:
Some of the rings just screw tight. Tbh depends on what rings you have.

Loving the ssr mount k98 very nice.

The only pic I have off mine on my IPad. Lol. Long side rail mount with Carl Zeiss Zeilever scope.

Good luck with the rifle. Nice to see it when it's done

Really like the earlier buttplate :D, would have prefered one of those on mine. Take it that's a 6x or 8x by the size of the front aperture?

Paul.

I'm glad you like it. Lol.

It's and 8x i would say, but it has a double lens at the viewing lens, so it's slightly more.

Double lens

Some pics of it, well the scope. Really need some more of the rifle. Lol.

To throw another mount in it all for a late dated rifle the swept back mount, like the Russians had. Nearly brought a rifle with one of them but went with lsr. I'm a sucker for Zeiss optics. Lol.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 21:11 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Patty D wrote:
WOW, I think I've had more than my fair share of the first class help, thanks everyone! :D

I've finally decided that I'm going for an lsr mount, from accumounts which I've heard very good things about! Mentioned, is the mounting process by 'Commando Sniper', so I take it that the some of wood where the mount sits, is shaved off, not totally removed back to the metal receiver? I think you get an instruction guide from accumounts with the mount (I hope! :lol: ). Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Glad its helped. Lsr is probably the best bet, it's a good solid choice and tbh can be done at a good cost.

The best way to learn how to fit it, would be google and you tube video (watch someone else f**k up lmao) and also do it right.

Good luck. When at shows have a look at people's see what they like aswell give you some ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 22:04 pm 

Oberleutnant wrote:
Patty D wrote:

Glad its helped. Lsr is probably the best bet, it's a good solid choice and tbh can be done at a good cost.

The best way to learn how to fit it, would be google and you tube video (watch someone else f**k up lmao) and also do it right.

Good luck. When at shows have a look at people's see what they like aswell give you some ideas.

Yeah, hopefully a good choice! I've just had a look for some installations of the lsr mount, but I can't find a thing!!! I've read that original lsr sniper rifles had a thicker receiver, a more flat side to mount onto, but in a standard k98, how would you mount it?? Tbh that's the only bit I still am unsure of doing? Any help (I know - even more!)/links much appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:32 am 
 WWW  Profile

Try searching within http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php you should find something on there or at least ask someone will know where to find instructions. The people on there are collectors and enthusiasts of k98k's more so than some of us. Lol.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:55 am 

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the link, and I will definitely try that! Also thanks again to everyone for their input, I really appreciate it, and hopefully when it is done, I'll post some pictures up for you to see!

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:24 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Look forward to the pics. Glad I have helped.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 17:11 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Very nice indeed Kevin!! :D

Likewise, be nice to see the finished article Patrick :)

Paul.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 18:01 pm 

Yes no problem, just ordered my K98 from WWA, so I will see how that turns out! Thanks again :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 18:17 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I'd say don't be afraid about cutting into the woodwork, with some marking out, a dremmel and fine sand paper you can cut a very nice channel for the mount base to be attached to the reciever of the rifle. Plus you can also give the stock a sand down and re-coat it in boiled linseed oil. My stock is a laminate stock and had been varnished post war. So after I cut the channel out I stripped the stock and coated it a number of times in BLO, looks very nice now :D

Paul.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 19:34 pm 

Hi Paul,

thanks for the advice! I think I will also probably end up refinishing the stock, but I'll wait and see how it turns out first, and if you want, I'll post some pictures of the rifle on here? So cutting the stock is relatively easy? Also, with regards to placement of the mount on the receiver, how will I be able to tell where to place it?

Thanks again, Patrick.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:27 am 
 WWW  Profile

Try this link shows a nice example and close ups so you can see where the mount goes. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... 56K-Beware

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:33 am 
 WWW  Profile

Try this link aswell. Tells you about how to fit the lsr. Well a small section. Looks good.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.tvg/K ... ersion.pdf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next