WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 15:09 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 14:04 pm 

Hello everyone,
I am looking to buy a deactivated K98, and I would like to install a turret scope mount and scope on it for display, because I cannot afford a totally original K98 sniper! Is this possible, and if so, with it being a deacivated (UK) K98 would I be allowed to do so, as I believe you have to drill it on? Any help is much appreciated,
thanks,
Patrick

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 16:31 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Group: 4Jas
The cheapest option would be to get a repro ZF41 and mount and fit that. I've seen them circa £200 for the lot so you could get a deact for £300 and fit the scope. Sniper looks for under £500 ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 16:39 pm 

Hi, thanks I didn't really think about a zf-41, but that might be a good idea, thanks! Please may I ask where I might be able to find a repro mount and zf41 scope? Thank you.

Ps I take it that fitting something such as a low/high turret mount onto a deact rifle in the uk is not allowed?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 16:48 pm 
 YIM  Profile

I can't see why that would be a problem, your not altering any restricted parts per se

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 16:57 pm 
 YIM  Profile

WWA do K98's with repro ZF41's

http://www.worldwidearms.com/popup.cfm? ... p_i=476439

I just love WWA the way they don't say if something is genuine or repro so you decide for yourself what you want to beleive! Haha.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 17:17 pm 

I've had a look at the WWA k98's with zf41 and I think they are repro mounts and scope, and I also would like to see them being upfront about their products! I think I might try and find a way to mount something like a zf39 scope on it as I think they look better in a display! If anyone has done this, then any help and tips on what to do, would be great! Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:06 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Panzer Lehr
Try a lsr or ssr mount for a zf39. They both would do. A long side rail mount (lsr) looks good. If you need any ideas, buy a good sniper rifle book and get some look ideas. There is no problem adding the scope as you are not replacing the rifles parts.

Richard d laws book illustrates them nicely. I have a copy for sale if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:40 am 
1000+ Poster

I remember buying a SMLE Bayonet from WWA some years ago with a hook Quillon.

As usual there was no mention of originality or otherwise. When it arrived it was of Australian manufacture and of a date it could not possibly made with a Quillon. To be fair they gave a me a full refund when I chalanged it but its Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware) with any thing from WWA if any enhancements have been made.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 am 

Thank you again to both for your help and advice! With regards to choosing a mount, the lsr and ssr mounts are interesting, but for me I wouldn't really want to be modifying the stock to accommodate the mount, so a LT or HT is what I'm focussing on!! One good thing to hear, is that this is possible to do, with regards to the uk law and replacing parts etc! Also WWA I have heard are hit and miss, I think I will order a k98 from them, see what it turns out to be like and if it's no good, return it. They have the cheapest ones out there at the moment I think?

What I am trying to find out know, is who makes good repro LT or HT mounts. Also, has anyone out there had a go at applying repro mounts to a k98?? Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Patrick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 14:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Thing with the claw mount and other mounts that fit on the top. They require drilling holes and fitting on to the metal parts of the rifle. In short term a lot more work than a ssr or lsr. A skilled gunsmith would make a good job purely due to the tools and the know how.

Check out the law book. It will illustrate them perfectly. However I would recommend a google search on how to fit them to see the work required. I look at doing this before I got my FAC, which I brought with a lsr and scope.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 15:09 pm 

I see what you mean, but I would probably get a gunsmith to do the work! One other thing, apologies because this is probably a silly question, but say I had a mount and I've got the rings, how do I fit a scope into the rings?? I've heard if people, disassembling, soldering their scopes the the rings, is this the only way?? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 17:25 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

You can put a high or low turret mount scope onto a deactivated k98, a gunsmith can do the work easily.

As for scope and rings, the Germans used a good number of scopes during the war and didn't standardise on any particular pattern. Scopes ranged from 4 to 8 power, many different makers and even the "standard" ZF39 had many variatione from different manufacturers.

A repro ZF39 can be bought on eBay fairly cheaply, accumounts in the US can do the high and low turret mounts, can either have them with a solid ring design or a split ring design.

Other options are as people have said, long side rail or short side rail, or can go for single or double claw mounts but these are more difficult to fit.

Here is my k98 with short side rail mount and Oigee Berlin 6x scope:

As for books, Peter Senich's book on German sniper rifles if the best reference I've seen for k98 scopes and mounts.

Paul.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 18:27 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Some of the rings just screw tight. Tbh depends on what rings you have.

Loving the ssr mount k98 very nice.

The only pic I have off mine on my IPad. Lol. Long side rail mount with Carl Zeiss Zeilever scope.

Good luck with the rifle. Nice to see it when it's done

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 19:08 pm 

WOW. If mine turns out to be half as nice as your 2 fantastic examples, I'd be very pleased! In fact, I'm starting to have second thoughts on a turret mount, but I like the ssr and lsr!! May I ask, which one is easier to fit and I take it that a gunsmith will be able to do the stock inlet etc, and I assume that the scope can just be placed in and removed with ease, not have to be soldered and disassembled (like the fixed ring turret mounts)?

Also, I need to get a book, but if anyone who knows or has the book could help here, that would be great! What year and codes were the rifles on which the ssr and lsr scope mounted?

Thanks again for the pictures of two very nice examples!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 20:18 pm 
 YIM  Profile

There's a book in the for sale section on here ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 20:27 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The ssr and lsr are both very similar other than the fact that one is longer than the other. A gunsmith should be able to do all the work. All you need to do is give him the mount and tell him where to place it. Left hand side if you are looking down the sights. Lsr is thee big screws to fit and ssr normally thre small ones. The scope is easily mounted and demounted. You pull a lever and press down a button and it slides off on a lsr, similar on ssr. To place you slide on and lock the lever to secure it.

The Code question is that ssr tend to be any year although normally before 1943 (please correct if my assumption from my reading is wrong, always willing to learn. Lol) Lsr will be late 43 to end of war as this mount came about as the ssr wasn't seen as successful as it could have been.

As for books Peter Senich's is a good read as well as Richard Law's. Sadly not that many books on the subject.

Hope this helps.