WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 18:24 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: k98 7.92 or 7.62
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 14:15 pm 

Group: FJR2
Just awaiting my FAC coming through so i can purchase my first live k98. The bloke that interviewed me seems to be under the impression 7.92 will be obsolete in the near future but all i want the FAC for is to fire blanks. What is the chance of 7.92 blanks still being available in the near future or is it not worth the hassle and to go with a 7.62?
Also anyone know of any good chicken stamped live firers up for sale?
mkg,
Chappy.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:15 am 

Henry Kranks seems to have plenty:- www.henrykrank.com

I bought some live and blank from them last week. Manufactured in 1999 from Serbia??!!
Haven't used them yet, but they look alright. Have to be better than the 1950s Russian stock I was using previously - one in every five was misfiring.

Using 7.92 does cause more problems, but it does seem to be available if you know where to look, and of course, it's proper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 20:40 pm 

Group: FJR2
Cheers mate!
MKG,
Chappy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 20:46 pm 

Group: Second Battle Group
As long as you can buy 7.62 blanks you can resize them to fire in 7.92 rifles. Works Ok with no problems.

Gurowski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:41 am 

I have tried using resized 7.62 but they were a bit of a drag. Occasionally one would fall off the extractor and get lodged in the breech which meant that I had to keep throwing a cleaning rod down the barrel to get the buggers out.
Then finally, one of them fell off the extractor, after having detonated. Luckily that was on Sunday as all I could do was pack it in until I managed to get home and knock it out with a solid nylon rod.
I intend sticking to proper 7.92s for as long as I can get my hands on them. If they do become unavailable, then I guess I'll just have to start reloading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:26 am 

Dietmar wrote:
I have tried using resized 7.62 but they were a bit of a drag. Occasionally one would fall off the extractor and get lodged in the breech which meant that I had to keep throwing a cleaning rod down the barrel to get the buggers out.
Then finally, one of them fell off the extractor, after having detonated. Luckily that was on Sunday as all I could do was pack it in until I managed to get home and knock it out with a solid nylon rod.
I intend sticking to proper 7.92s for as long as I can get my hands on them. If they do become unavailable, then I guess I'll just have to start reloading.

What you had happen to you is what happens every year at Beltring to the foreigners who come over and use K98s in the battle.
User inexperiance in using the rifle with blanks is generally the problem. Cycling the action with the rifle tilted downwards is another good way to have them jump out of the extractor
If you cycle the action swiftly and firmly with the barrel level or slightly raised, you wont have any problems. If you fully resize you will get a good headspace clearance.
The case head diameters are the same (12mm dia), and the extractor grooves the same depth (1mm).
I used to supply about 15 thousand of these resized rounds a year, and every now and then they jump out of the extractor, but apart from that we never had any problems.

Gurowski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 14:48 pm 

Fair enough Steve. I could have been using completely different resized rounds of course. The problem with the ones I was using was that only the crimped end was pressed down to fit ( I can't get normal 7.62s into my breech at all ) but this still left the shoulder of the case a few mm short, allowing the rounds to slip forward into the breech out of reach of the extractor.
I was having this problem with about one in ten rounds. It wasn't a huge problem because the rounds failed to detonate, until one managed detonate at the same time as coming off the extractor ( that one was a bugger ), but it was a right pain in the backside, having to go "don't kill me yet, my rifle's not ready" all the time.
Anyway, I've got a few hundred 7.92 blanks now and they fit beautifully,
Tim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:27 am 

Dietmar wrote:
I could have been using completely different resized rounds of course. The problem with the ones I was using was that only the crimped end was pressed down to fit ( I can't get normal 7.62s into my breech at all )

You need to use a full length case resizing die, and then you are only changing the profile of the first 20mm of the round.
But now that propper 7.92 blanks are available, well its problem solved

Gurowski