WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:17 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:21 am 

Hi all, I'm new to these forums but not collecting. Just wondering I know original issue K98's had 'white' (unblued) butt plates and bolt take down disks (the steel ring set into the butt), but are you sure they had white bolts? I've restored my russkie capture rifle and did quite a bit of research and didn't find anything about 'in the white' bolts. I may have missed it, if that's the case i'll have to get the white vinegar and steel wool out, DOH !!
Cheers All

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:28 am 

Hi all, I'm new to these forums but not collecting. Just wondering I know original issue K98's had 'white' (unblued) butt plates and bolt take down disks (the steel ring set into the butt), but are you sure they had white bolts? I've restored my russkie capture rifle and did quite a bit of research and didn't find anything about 'in the white' bolts. I may have missed it, if that's the case i'll have to get the white vinegar and steel wool out, DOH !!
Cheers All

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:36 am 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
It seems that both are found. I have friends in the USA with vet bring back K98s which have bolt bodies "in the white", but I now believe most were actually blued. It seems that the "in the white" bolts are a pre-war and early war thing, many may have been refinished to blue during WWII. I intend to keep mine like it is (I blued the rear parts of the bolt recently), because I like the look of the bare steel.

http://www.afra.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:04 am 
 WWW  ICQ  YIM  Profile

Group: Kriegsmarine Küstenabteilung
Does anyone have a link to a website where there are nice clear pics of the k98 mauser?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:38 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA, by far the most flexible way to re-enact
There are some nice ones here, whats wrong with them?

Sean Tighe

Stigroadie@aol.com
http://www.afra.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 13:42 pm 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

pzrwest wrote:
Does anyone have a link to a website where there are nice clear pics of the k98 mauser?

What bits do you want to see ?

Post subject: Refinishing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 22:14 pm 

I have been refinishing all of my russian capture pieces. This first rifle is a BYF41...it is not import marked, I bought it in Pennsylvania from an elder gentleman. regretfully the stock was heavily sanded and the metal was poorly cold blued. 80% of the rifle was matching. I ended up putting it in an unsanded Russian refurb stock, which still had sharp edges and the diagnal buff marks from the factory...no russian serial number removal. I reblued the whole of the metal. It turned out very nice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 22:19 pm 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Lovely job, mate :D Doesn't it give you a great feeling of satisfaction, once you've de-russianified it ? :)

Post subject: More
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 22:26 pm 

Made a mistake...the above rifle was not a russian refurb...only the stock. The next two (forgot which pictures were which, are my DOU 44 and DOU 45, both Russian refurbs, though very nice finds as they had no pitt speckles or metal damage. Both were reblued and the stocks refinished. I tend to reblue all of the metal to insure its reconditioning....The Russians did a terrible job of rebluing. They didn't remove the old blue or prepare the steel before reblue. If you have a few you'll notice that quite a few of them have more of a matt finish than shiney blued steel. This is due to one of two reasons. They were either originally phosphated then blued, or they were originally blued over blue. When I deblued the rifles, the metal took on a flat grey hue. If this is left on for bluing the metal will take on a matt appearance. If lightly buffed with a wire wheel (does not alter or mar steel), the steel retained a light shine, which transfers during th blue and leaves more of a military blue. The stocks were stripped with bix stripper for two applications (never try to remove all of the stain of your rifle will look stripped), then washed. I had to do a light sanding with 280 grit and 0000 steel wool to take down the fuzz from stripping. Lastly a few coats of boiled linseed oil to finish. I've found Tung Oil and Baers Finish to leave too much of a gloss. After the linseed dries, take down the shine with 0000 steel wool, and work the stock with your hands with a light coat of gun oil on them. Makes for a good look...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 22:28 pm 

BaggyPants wrote:
Lovely job, mate :D Doesn't it give you a great feeling of satisfaction, once you've de-russianified it ? :)

Absolutely. I do this to all my weapons (as I never buy mint undicked with original specimens), as reenacting is hard on them and I want to provide as much protection as possible...new blue and wood finish helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 13:08 pm 

I must say, a job well done there. :D

victory in spite of all terror,

victory, however long and hard the road may be;

for without victory there is no survival."

- Winston Churchill, 1940.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 22:16 pm 

Ahh, my good old bright red K98.

I think getting that naughty shellac off will be my next project...

Also, my bolt was parkerized after it was deactivated, can I get that crap off?