WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 21:36 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 18:28 pm 
Admin
 WWW  Profile

Group: The Stonewallers (29th Infantry Division, C Co.)
Pete would it be OK for me to copy what you have done so far, and base an article on it? The WoWWII section could do with a new article, otherwise (god forbid) i'll have to write one :wink:

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 19:55 pm 

No Problem Chris, and I will add more later after I've sorted our website out :!: But please do not alter anything in it and please credit it to me :D

Post subject: website
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 14:14 pm 

designing website about military history. Need some help on things, especially weapons, tried really hard to find all info but some missing. If you have the answer let me know.

Link is http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/rifles.htm

also have section on heavy machin guns and SMG's.

Cheers if any one can fill the answers in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 22:49 pm 

Very nice article(s) DerSpeiss.
What I'd like to know is, why do all the WWII captured K98's I see have a reddish dye/varnish (?) on them?

What did an original K98 look like? I presume much lighter, sort of like this perhaps?

http://www.mitchellsales.com/rifles/hist_k98/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 0:07 am 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
The red shellac was put on by the Russians when their armouries refurbished the captured weapons. They also electro-pencilled the receivers serial number on nearly all the other metal parts, as they did not put the original parts back into the same rifle they came out of. Originally, the K98's would have had all matching numbers, but the russians stripped them, threw the bits in bins, refurbished the parts, then reassembled them with no regard to which bits came from which weapon. Finding all matching Mausers is getting very difficult.

The stock in that photo is a little light, because I suspect it is un-oiled, (Oiling the wood darkens it a little), but yes, that kind of colour is correct on the laminate stocks. Early stocks were solid walnut (I think ?) and had a natural red tint to them. They were expensive to produce and it was found that laminate was stronger, so production of solid stocks ceased. The red stripes you see in the laminate stocks is the colour of the resin based glue which was used to bond the slices together.

http://www.afra.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 23:56 pm 
 WWW  ICQ  YIM  Profile

Group: Kriegsmarine Küstenabteilung
I have a question maybe one of the experts here can help me. Will the bolt from a german mauser fit and work in a mauser made by the manchurian state arsenal. The barrel and receiver look identicle to the standard k98 mauser. It even fits into the stock for a german mauser. I used a trigger group from a mauser in it and it fits as well. The receiver/barrel is chambered 7.92.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:59 am 
1000+ Poster

Great piece, never knew about the variants of the mauser, now I'm slightly more educated! (It's a shame I'll have forgotten it all tomorrow!)

"Now if there’s one thing you can be sure of, it’s that nothing is more powerful than a young boys wish.
Except an Apache helicopter, an Apache helicopter has machine guns and missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive compliment of weaponry. An absolute death machine."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:42 am 

sadly I know what you mean!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 18:17 pm 

Group: SBG
I thought it was most interesting :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 19:25 pm 

BaggyPants wrote:
The red shellac was put on by the Russians when their armouries refurbished the captured weapons. They also electro-pencilled the receivers serial number on nearly all the other metal parts, as they did not put the original parts back into the same rifle they came out of. Originally, the K98's would have had all matching numbers, but the russians stripped them, threw the bits in bins, refurbished the parts, then reassembled them with no regard to which bits came from which weapon. Finding all matching Mausers is getting very difficult.

The stock in that photo is a little light, because I suspect it is un-oiled, (Oiling the wood darkens it a little), but yes, that kind of colour is correct on the laminate stocks. Early stocks were solid walnut (I think ?) and had a natural red tint to them. They were expensive to produce and it was found that laminate was stronger, so production of solid stocks ceased. The red stripes you see in the laminate stocks is the colour of the resin based glue which was used to bond the slices together.

I agree with whole context of quote, but feel it should be made very clear that when Russians re-assembled capured K98's, although they paid no regard to assembling with matching nos, care and attention was paid to ensure all parts were a good fit for that particular rifle - so functionally worked as if they were matching nos, specific for each rifle.
Obviously otherwise, refurbished rifles with poorly fitting parts will not correctly function, and could potentially be very dangerous!

It should also be borne in mind that this unique number matching was a downfall of German manufacturing - and not a positive thing!!
Generic manufacturing as used by the Allies, is far more efficient in all respects, than an antiquated, unique & precise method as used by Germany - and a contributory factor to why they lost the war!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 20:50 pm 

It should also be borne in mind that this unique number matching was a downfall of German manufacturing - and not a positive thing!!
Generic manufacturing as used by the Allies, is far more efficient in all respects, than an antiquated, unique & precise method as used by Germany - and a contributory factor to why they lost the war!![/quote]

Nonsence do you realy think the germans made up unique parts for each gun no they mass produced them and then numbered them to make the up the item and to make the gun an acountable item

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:23 am 

Group: 3. Aufklaerungs abteilung, 5th light Division DAK
Talk about waking an old article, but does anyone have some information on the Wihelm Gustloff arms factory in Weimar (no, not the ship) and what became of it post war? i've got a 1940 K98 from there and i just want to learn a bit more about the production there etc

ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 23:08 pm 

I have a Mauser question for those in the know.
I have a 1937 K98, full waffen stamps and matching numbers, even on the butt stock. All wood matches, if a little bit rough (it's been out there!)
My problem is, it has a solid butt, no slot/hole to put the sling! I haven't seen one like this before, any ideas?
It has swivels on the side and loop on front band and also swivels below on the fore stock and butt!
Any ideas??
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:50 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Berthier92 wrote:
Talk about waking an old article, but does anyone have some information on the Wihelm Gustloff arms factory in Weimar (no, not the ship) and what became of it post war? i've got a 1940 K98 from there and i just want to learn a bit more about the production there etc

Just noticed this question!

That's not from Weimar, Gustloff-Werke was in Berlin, an old company that used to be called Simpson but the owners were Jewish... renamed in 1939 Gustloff being the dead Swiss Nazi.

Later become renamed again to "VEB Fahrzeug- und Jagdwaffenwerk Ernst Thälmann Suhl", now in the DDR, it took the name of the murdered leader of the Red Front - like many factories and organisations of the DDR.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:20 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Andrei Kozlov wrote:
Later become renamed again to "VEB Fahrzeug- und Jagdwaffenwerk Ernst Thälmann Suhl", now in the DDR, it took the name of the murdered leader of the Red Front - like many factories and organisations of the DDR.

It does show we can be rehabilitated back into the Human Race Genossen even if we were at one time part of the Pit Viper's unlawful War machine of Gitlerite Oppression. :lol:

:D

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:36 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 Tommies
hoseman wrote:
I have a Mauser question for those in the know.
I have a 1937 K98, full waffen stamps and matching numbers, even on the butt stock. All wood matches, if a little bit rough (it's been out there!)
My problem is, it has a solid butt, no slot/hole to put the sling! I haven't seen one like this before, any ideas?
It has swivels on the side and loop on front band and also swivels below on the fore stock and butt!
Any ideas??
Thanks

Has it got a straight or bent bolt handle? Lets see some photos of the rifle and the markings.

Doing an Airborne impression? Want to try jumping out of an original C-47?

http://www.wwiiadt.org