WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:18 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: k98 bolt advice
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:09 am 
 WWW  ICQ  YIM  Profile

Group: Kriegsmarine Küstenabteilung
I just picked up this k98 bolt for my rifle and not sure whether to leave it as it is or clean it up and degrease it and re-blue it. Second when i cycle rounds in it it doesn't throw the rounds out like it should could it be the extractor being worn? Thank you in advance for any help or advice. Here are some pics of the the bolt

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 18:14 pm 

WITH ME, IT WOULD DEPEND ON WHAT I WANTED TO DO WITH THE RIFLE. IF ITS TO FIT A VERY NICE CONDITION WEAPON I MAY REFINISH IT. IF IT WAS TO FIT AN ORIGINAL USED EXAMPLE I WOULD REMOVE THE RUST WITH A COPPER COIN OR A RED SCOTCH BRIGHT PAD WITH A BIT OF LIGHT OIL LIKE WD40 OR PX4. MY THEORY IS THAT IF YOU WANT IT TO LOOK ORIGINAL, REMOVE THE RUST AND LEAVE IT, AS A SOLDIER WOULD NEVER HAVE RUST ON HIS WEAPON BUT THE BLUEING ALWAYS RUBBS OFF.

Post subject: Re: k98 bolt advice
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

pzrwest wrote:
Second when i cycle rounds in it it doesn't throw the rounds out like it should could it be the extractor being worn?

Post a pic of the extractor claw. I had a claw snap on me once and it was a bugger to get the spent cases out. Alternatively, do you find you have to put undue force into chambering the round? Your breech may just need a bit of a clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:47 am 
 WWW  ICQ  YIM  Profile

Group: Kriegsmarine Küstenabteilung
No the rounds chamber fine no excessive force is needed. With the bolt out of the rifle and you snap a shell casing onto the end of the bolt it just falls right off and according to Marstar Canada the teckie says the extractor is worn and from the ripples along the side of the extractor it may have been bent at some time and straightened out. So I have ordered a new extractor which solve the extraction problem.
Just to note he gave me a cool tip for removeing old blueing and that was use play dough. Put the play dough on the spot you want to remove and leave it for 15 or 20 minutes remove the play dough and the blueing is gone. Makes you wonder if it will remove blueing is it really safe for children.... ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 22:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

pzrwest, spot on, get a new claw. Playdoh eh?

www.39-45society.com