WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:59 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Magnetic grenades?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 13:24 pm 

As the Germans coated their armour in zimmit anti magnetic paste, I cant seem to find any info on the Russians using any magnetic grenades/ charges. Anyone got any info? ta.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 14:30 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
The only Soviet devices using a magnetic fixing I've come across are railway demolition charges.

http://www.ostfront.com/Merchant2/merch ... gory_Code=

There is also the SPM, which is really for sabotage purposes and the MPM which allegedly is exactly what Zimmerit is to counter... I have no idea what the latter looks like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 20:20 pm 

Cheers for that, it does seem strange that the Germans went to all that effort of Zimmerit and there is so little evidence of what they were worried about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 20:27 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
It is a question I've asked before....

Obviously myself and my Comrades are fairly au fait with Soviet weaponry but its fairly obvious that this type of weapon is fairly rare.

Besides the AT rifles, the only common way of destroying fascist tanks by riflemen was to use grenade bundles, anti-tank grenades (which aren't magnetic) or handplacing AT mines under the tracks or thrown onto the rear engine covers (when fitted with pull time fuses).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 14:17 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
The Germans had the habit of developing/using countermeasures against their own weapons.

Didn't Zimmerit disappear in the fall/winter of 1944?

On another site I found a reference to the British "Sticky" bombs that were possibly sent to the Russians as well through lend-lease. Though as far as I know these aren't magnetic either...just sticky ;) but these were also quoted as a possible reason for the development of Zimmerit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 16:13 pm 

Maybe they are rare cos they used them all up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 21:12 pm 

Like the point about the Germans thinking up ways to defeat their own weapons as they had a few diferent magnetic mines, I`ve found that the Japanese used them a fair bit to, although they were more up for suicide tctics than most!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 21:39 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
The only references I can find back up the view that it was developed to counter the magnetic mines being deployed by the Germans themselves.

They seemed to think that because they had these weapons then their opponets would follow suit.

It stopped being applied from Sept 1944 when their was a bit of a flap over rumours of the Zimmerit being set on fire by the impact of a shell.

It wasn't true but they never reinstated the Zimmerit, IMO becuase nobody else used magnetic mines. :D

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 22:04 pm 
2000+ Poster

British Clam mine sent to Russia on lend lease was magnetic.
Wasnt the Zimmerit initially factory applied? In which case they might not necassarily know which tanks would be deployed in which theatre of operations?
Its not the only futile waste of development in war, just think of all those gas masks produced!
regards
Matt Gibbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 23:38 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
Yeah the SPM is pretty much a copy. Naval use only.

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:39 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Voorwaarts MARS
MattGibbs wrote:
Its not the only futile waste of development in war, just think of all those gas masks produced!

I wouldn't say that gasmasks were a futile item. Though many soldiers threw them away, the threat of gas was always present.

But look at those Goliaths, now there was a waste of resources ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 15:21 pm 
2000+ Poster

True.
I was kind of thinking what we know now. To the Germans the threat of magnetic mines was ever present! Ergo, Zimmerit was good! Just they didn't know the allies wouldn't use them. Like we didn't know they wouldn't deploy gas.
ttfn
Matt Gibbs.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 14:27 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Frontovik wrote:
The only references I can find back up the view that it was developed to counter the magnetic mines being deployed by the Germans themselves.

They seemed to think that because they had these weapons then their opponets would follow suit.

Yep - just like how they copied the Bazooka. On the subject of copying - was the RPG1 just a reissued Panzerfaust or were these actually a Soviet produced weapon? (if this going off thread too much then please remove)

Schultze

Post subject: Re: Magnetic grenades?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:28 am 
2000+ Poster

Group: Hirschberg Society
The most effective enhancement of German Armour was the use of schurtzen on thh Mk III, MK IV and Panther
This was to counter the Soviet anti-tank rifle, this weapon although obsolete was effective against the thinner lower hull armour at close ranges.
Soviet anti-tank tactics included separating the tank from its accompanying infantry or panzer grenadiers and then directing anti-tank rifle and machine gun fire at the vision ports and commanders cupola to keep the crew buttoned down while a prospective 'Hero(s) of the Soviet Union' approached the tank with a demolition charge or Molotov cocktail.
The Germans mounted close defence weapons, basically a small grenade launcher on the corners of the hull and in the turret to counter this activity.
Perhaps one of our Soviet adversaries could confirm whether the Red Army had a tank destruction award like the Germans?

Schweiß speichert Blut
"...the future is clearly known, only the past has to be rewritten"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:25 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
No specific tank destruction badge.

For attacking tanks in the manner you describe you would probably get Combat Merit or Combat Valor medals or perhaps the Order of Glory or Order of the Red Star if you repeated this feat.

Its not something all that common to be honest. The Red Army had more than adequate anti-tank weaponry all used in a very layered technique.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:31 am 
2000+ Poster

Group: Hirschberg Society
The 'Pak Front' concept I assume you mean. Very effective.

Schweiß speichert Blut
"...the future is clearly known, only the past has to be rewritten"