WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 23:58 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Grenades
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:39 am 
4000+ Poster

What grenades do you folks reckon are appropriate to carry? I'm looking at picking up an RG42 at some point but was wondering whether they were simply an emergency stop gap thing that wasnt common late in the war. I would imagine F1's are ok and RG33's, how about the RG43? Would be nice to have something to fend off tanks with :wink:

Other than a couple of originals that are poking about online I'm looking at repro's, possibly from relics, if only as pouch fillers. What do you chaps reckon? I'm just indulging my taste for extra belt pouches with unnecessary stuff in you understand (should see my webbing).

Ð

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:21 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
The F1 and the RG42 were both developed early in WW2. The F1 is a powerful fragmentation defensive grenade and the RG42 is a blast offensive grenade - roughly mapping to the same functions as the British No.36 and No.69 grenades.

The RG42 was produced after the war too and also by NSWP countries, so it definitely wasnt a temporary measure despite its looks ;-)

I believe the RG42 was replaced much later with the RDG5, which is a combination offensive/defensive grenade although the F1's are still in use for when you "absolutely definitely...." - they are probably the most devastating frag grenade in use but thats not always a good thing ;-)

RG33's were quite common although they were extremely dangerous things to carry and use and seem to have spent a lot of effort diverting these to partisan units...

Having a selection of all the grenades etc is always good from a display point of view

I'd avoid relics really, very expensive vs quality really. I'm not even certain their F1's are wartime pattern anyway - there is a difference in shape of the body - I'm sure Fraser could tell you, I'm never sure what exactly the difference is. Also the fuse is slightly different for the truly an*l person ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 13:32 pm 
4000+ Poster

Actally the fuse was the one thing I had noticed :wink:

I was actually looking at their RG43, the F1's are ok but I know where I can pick up an original for the same price.

Ð

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 14:14 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
If you look here you can see the differences:

http://www.inert-ord.net/russ02i/russ_gren.html

However note the postwar F1 is a DDR one, so different again :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 14:20 pm 
4000+ Poster

Yeah, I have that site bookmarked :wink:

The one I am after is WW2, at least the body is. Reasonable price too. Looking at the relics stuff, the fuse looks ok, the type with the cap rather than a lever (if that makes sense) but I'll try to get a closer look sometime. I'll probably wind up leaving it if I can get a proper one.

Ð

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 19:28 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Comrades :tank: ,
I have 3# De-ack Purely defensive F1 of DDR manufacture... :tank: its the colour green they are I'm told.
and 2# repro Purely defensive RDG 33 with( real) Decisive Counter Offensive frag sleeves :tank: those CZ chaps sold at Beltring 04. I also have 2# Relics RG 43 A/T Grenades :tank: which are OK( they were Yuri's :twisted: ) and a Relics Purely defensive RG42 :oops: which is Nyet so good and is Nyet deployed :? as the Pit Vipers :twisted: would just point and laugh at it... :oops: ... :wink:

:D

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 21:18 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
This is a good article...

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/sovgrenades/

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 21:58 pm 
4000+ Poster

What are their RG43's like? Is the body metal? I might pick one up at some point.

They do seem blooming expensive.

Ð

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 22:19 pm 
5000+ Poster

All of their stuff is expensive and some not too good.

I was looking at the MON100's they do (Soviet directional AP mine like a claymore) but at 100 quid a pop I'll keep looking for an inert one I think.

Post subject: Re: Grenades
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:51 pm 

Group: Tommy Atkins
I have moulded and orginal F1 Grenade and will soon be casting them in a iron filler/ polyurethane resin mix.
I will add them to the for sale section soon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:18 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Comrades,
Such is the advantage of a planned controlled command society after six years the Iron horse of Marxist Leninism makes a seven league stride forward in the struggle to smash the Pit Viper Vandal horde.

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:22 am 

Group: Tommy Atkins
Hi Guys

F1's will be 10 inc P&P cast in the normal resin + iron powder mix. I add a post to the for sale section with pics soon.

KarlUK