WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:23 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: RAF Medic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 19:14 pm 

Group: independent
hi folks,

Got a couple of questions - forgive the stupid ones (probably all of them!!)

I`m getting back into the whole living history/re-enacting life again after a few health issues and a loss of confidence - both now, thankfully, improved and better. I have been thinking of something RAF-based for a few years now and having spoke to a few re-enactor friends (some coming out with 'oh great, ANOTHER BoB fighter pilot!' comments), a couple who portray ground-crew, i`m thinking of something medic-based.

i`m thinking more early-war rather than late war - so i`m looking at SD rather than BD/WSD. If i`m doing medic (OR, rather than h'officer at the moment), would i need any kind of webbing other than a small/large pack with the Red Cross symbol on, yes?
Would there be anything RAF-specific carried in the pack itself - i`m figuring other than dressings, scissors and the like?
Would an RAF medic have carried something similar to a field surgeons kit?
Does anyone have any suggestions or recommended reading on the Medic side - not just RAF?

thanks all

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: RAF Medic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 14:34 pm 

Group: independent
anyone?

Post subject: Re: RAF Medic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 am 
5000+ Poster

Group: An Airfield Somewhere
It sounds like you're basing your idea on how the Army used Medics. RAF ones, of the era you mention, would be working in or near a medical facility and wouldn't need to carry medical kit. In all likelihood they'd keep it in the ambulance if away from that facility.

So, what you're looking at is normal RAF uniform with medical insignia on the collar. If on active duty a Red Cross armband (RAF Medical Services stamped) would be worn.