WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:48 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: War Office 'Air Maps'
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 16:41 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Anyone know about these ...

Its dated 1943, produced by the War Office in conjunction with Ordnance Survey in 1/4" to 1 mile scale. Looking at it closely it seems to show all the air bases/aerodromes of the time marked by red circles .. I've done a close up of a couple of the more well known ones .. Quite a large map, printed on paper, the pictures maybe give more of an an idea of what it is.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 16:25 pm 

Group: GPRH "Dogs of War" - Brazil
It's possible to find very good printable archives of maps here at:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/british_isles/
Example:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 13:29 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Yes, similar to what I have got, wondering if they have any value, I pick up period stuff if I see it, either to keep or sell on ... !!

Hope you don't mind but I have reduced it to a more suitable size ... what I cant figure out is how such big pics can load when the limit is 250kb ..??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 18:34 pm 

You have one of 12 maps produced in the GSGS 3957 series, which covered the whole of the UK in 1:250000 scale. They were introduced in 1942 & updated regularly thereafter. This would have been the staple map for aircraft crews transiting across the country below 10 000'.

As you can see, it contains all the major features you would need to know about to navigate accurately without being too cluttered. Very much the forerunner of today's NATS 1:250000 charts used by all pilots in the UK.

If you are able to get hold of the late war editions, it's fascinating to see the concentration of airfields across the country by wars end. You really can understand why there were so many mid-air collisions.

Rich