WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 13:51 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: SAAF
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 17:08 pm 
1000+ Poster

What cap badge would an officer in the SAAF have worn?

I have seen a lot of Khaki caps with the SAAF cap badge, but I have also seen RAF Blues being worn with the RAF Bullion cap badge.

Can anyone elaborate?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: SAAF
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 19:28 pm 
1000+ Poster

Army issue/purchase SD cap with a bronzed SAAF cap badge on the front.....I believe this is the correct method.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 21:23 pm 
1000+ Poster

Euan wrote:
Army issue/purchase SD cap with a bronzed SAAF cap badge on the front.....I believe this is the correct method.

I thought that, but in the pics I've seen SAAF pilots in BD/SD, they're wearing the blue cap with the bullion capbadge. Possible that the Khaki SD were worn in SA, Africa, Italy but wore blue in Britain, or in the early years (BoB, etc)?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 14:14 pm 

Depends on who you're referring to. Basically, you have three fairly common scenarios:
1. A member of SAAF and would wear the standard SAAF kit -- khaki uniforms, Army-style rank, etc. This would include SAAF members serving on RAF squadrons -- i.e. they remain SAAF. Headgear would be a khaki (Army) SD cap with SAAF cap badge or a khaki (Army) field service cap with SAAF cap badge.

2. A South African who joins the RAF would be a defacto member of the RAF and wear whatever RAF uniform required. These folks could wear South Africa shoulder titles, if desired. Headgear would be RAF Blue SD or FS cap with RAF cap badge

3. Initial service in SAAF -- typically a short-service commission for officers -- and then applying for service in RAF. These individuals would become defacto RAF members but you could see them wearing SAAF pilot wings if they completed their training while on their previous SAAF service. Headgear the same as #2

Photo is from this website -- which shows a nice sample of SAAF uniform items
http://saafww2pilots2.yolasite.com/saaf-ww2-uniforms-and-insignia.php