WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 18:54 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 15:53 pm 
3000+ Poster

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/worl ... ngham.html

Get your spitfire devining rods out - there's probably one buried in a field near you!

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 17:07 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
I have heard this tale for a few years now. Good luck digging under those houses!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 17:15 pm 
2000+ Poster

There is supposed to be a whole bunch of American Harley Davidson bikes buried at CVD Ashchurch. If thats true, what else might have been buried there.

CSM "Are those your best boots corporal?"
Cpl "No sir, I have no favorites"

You want it when? :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 17:24 pm 
3000+ Poster

i had heard a load of stuff was buried under Greenham Common myself.

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 17:31 pm 

You'll find that something is buried underneath everything, just sometimes yo have to look deeper.

''Keep your eyes wide open. Tune yourself to the top most pitch. Be nimble as a greyhound, as tough as leather, as hard as Krupp steel and so you shall be the German warrior incarnate.'' - Fallschirmjäger Commandments No.10.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 20:56 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Independant, AFRA Member
Fallschirmjäger wrote:
You'll find that something is buried underneath everything, just sometimes yo have to look deeper.

Thats it, keep posting and you will soon reach that magical 1000 target :roll:

S.L."A" Flight, 105 Sqn, 8 Group PPF

2nd S.A.S. Forward Recce

Glider Pilot Regiment Sgt Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 22:30 pm 

Group: Das Heer, Luftwaffe Society
Fallschirmjäger wrote:

Thats it, keep posting and you will soon reach that magical 1000 target ??????????????????????????????
graham

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:49 am 

Group: VEMRA
They did find a 6-inch disappearing gun buried under the RMC in Canada.

"If I had Canadian soldiers, American technology, and British officers, I would rule the world" -- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 0:31 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: 43rd Recce & The Great War Society
Did a good job of disappearing then!

When you hear these stories, you have to ask why they'd bother to carefully pack and preserve these aircraft, which in the Birmingham case were obsolescent by the 1950's when they were supposedly buried, dig a bloomin' big hole, put them in in a big crate then cover it over again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roblangham

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:08 am 
5000+ Poster

Group: An Airfield Somewhere
Many years ago I spent a very foggy day m/ding for an FN20 turret that had been buried during WW2 on an RAF Station. The chap who was a member of the original party detailed to bury it was with us, and took us to the area he remembered it being buried in. Apparently this was as the result of an impending inspection and the turret was found to be "extra" to the number on the stores inventory, to which the solution was to just get rid of it.

We found bugger all!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:03 pm 

BarnacleBill wrote:
I have heard this tale for a few years now. Good luck digging under those houses!

Well if there was a £1,000,000+ Spitfire buried under my house I would have no problem knocking it down to get at to it. :)

However, I am very sceptical. Why announce it now? Spitfires have been in big demand for decades.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:53 pm 
1000+ Poster
 ICQ  Profile

Group: ATQM, AASI, S Co.
I was involved with a search on a site because someone said "yeah, we moved back in after the war and the Americans didn't want their equipment back, so a big hole was dug in the ground and we drove the vehicles into it and buried them." We were regaled with details of Jeeps and other trucks and even plant, like bulldozers. After the place he guaranteed was the spot showed nothing at all he pointed out a couple of other spots which again gave no returns.
Some locals later said their was never a hole, but there were a few vehicles left in the corner that were eventually taken away for scrap. Some others said that a lot of the vehicles were, like many war surplus, sold on to firms for their fleets.

Now i'm not saying these people are deliberately lying, the memory does indeed go with age and many years of rumours of vehicles/aircraft/nazi treasure being hidden in the nearby woods can easily be "absorbed" into someone's memory.

Also interested in any and all RFC/RNAS/RAF Mechanical Transport (vehicles to you) information and images, from 1912 till 2012+.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 17:45 pm 
3000+ Poster

thats similar to the story on greenham common - the vehicles that were alledgedly buried or destroyed were just as alledgedly sold to local farmers under the counter

(No)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:19 am 
2000+ Poster

Not all of it is "bunkem".

Mate of mine years ago, excavated parts of the undercarriage of an Horsa glider from an airfield. These parts were supplied to Shawbury for the glider project.

I was working at the airfield, and seen the bits myself. He told me that there was a lot more buried under parts of the airfield, however, the MOD had stopped any further digging as the risk of damage to underground cables was too great. He believed there were aircraft engines buried there too...!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/ ... _face1.gif