WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:10 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: RAF kitbags
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 19:18 pm 

Group: Civil Defenders
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between RAF kitbags with one blue stripe around them and those with two?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: RAF kitbags
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 20:14 pm 

I've got an original kit list somewhere that I need to dig out...it's a hand written sheet with items per kit bag labelled '1 stripe' and '2 stripes' - if I remember rightly the bag with one stripe had more of the everyday items in it and the one with two was things like a pull over/jumper and spare underwear. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:29 am 

Group: Civil Defenders
Thanks for that. If you do find the list I would be interested to know more detail. It has been suggested that the two-stripes was for overseas, but I'm not convinced. I have one that looks as though the second stripe has been added, because it is a slightly different colour.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:01 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
This may be of interest ... https://hatchfive.wordpress.com/2017/05 ... f-kit-bag/ ...

I have to say though, given the example in the link is dated 1967, that when I joined in 1966 I was issued an all blue one of a totally different design and don't ever recall seeing the white ones, even when I was posted to Singapore in 1968.

Also it is perhaps interesting to note in the link that the wartime ones were it seems bigger ..??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 21:03 pm 

obt48 wrote:
Thanks for that. If you do find the list I would be interested to know more detail. It has been suggested that the two-stripes was for overseas, but I'm not convinced. I have one that looks as though the second stripe has been added, because it is a slightly different colour.

I'll dig it out tomorrow Owen. I know where it is just a matter of venturing into the loft to get it! :)