WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 21:54 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 14:29 pm 
4000+ Poster

They did it a while ago with a Boyse AT rifle, there was an article in Gun Mart about it and I met one of the chaps who was there a while back. Sounds like it was good fun!

Ð

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 16:21 pm 

Kozlov wrote:
Yeah, you have to be a little careful with ATR's... the ammunition for them is (surprisingly) armour piercing....

Hey don't be funny. If you think that a simple 14.5mm FMJ ball round with 32.000 J Muzzle energy isn't armour piercing you should first shoot one of those at a 2" ( 5cm ) strong hardened Steel plate and then talking about AP or not...... :wink:

Wisdom from 225 years ago: "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 17:16 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
Yes, agreed but in terms of UK firearms law a high powered ball round is OK, an AP round in any small arms calibre is not :D Even as an inert!

I can't remember whether "material destruction" rifles were banned last time or whether its about to happen in the next re-write. But if they aren't banned now, they will be soon... suspect Barrett Light 50's are what they really mean, but suspect PTRS would also be classified as the same....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 17:52 pm 

Kozlov wrote:
I can't remember whether "material destruction" rifles were banned last time or whether its about to happen in the next re-write. But if they aren't banned now, they will be soon... suspect Barrett Light 50's are what they really mean, but suspect PTRS would also be classified as the same....

Tell me please, when did the last time anybody walk with an 20KG Weapon walk into a shop to rob them? Either with an full auto M2 .50 Machine gun or an PTRD, or semi auto PTRS or maybe only a 10KG M82 barret or similar single shot .50 weapon? :roll:

Wisdom from 225 years ago: "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 20:38 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

More likely to be used by a para military group in my opinion..... Imagine what that would do to a car :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 21:03 pm 
4000+ Poster

The IRA used them to take out cars, or take out people through cars, during the 70's and 80's.

Ð

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 19:44 pm 

Group: SADF Group
Hi All.

I have a Russian WW2 Degtyarov PTRD Mod.41, 14.5mm single shot Anti-Tank bolt action rifle for sale in the UK with deactivation docs.

Please email if any info needed.

Bernhard

germanmilitariauk@yahoo.co.uk

Kozlov wrote:
Yeah, you have to be a little careful with ATR's... the ammunition for them is (surprisingly) armour piercing.... which is a little section 5....

You can get as some have said, KPV rounds which will work BUT a KPV round is armour piercing high explosive incendiery.... thats only ever so slightly section 5 ;-) They don't make a ball round for the KPV so you'd have to get the army or similar to set up your experiment (for a documentary of course!) or go to Russia where crazy people shoot these things in the woods!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:50 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: Hirschberg Society
I read in a memoir that the PTRD was used as a sniper rifle. :shock:
I'm getting a headache just thinking about the effect of a hit from one of those things.
The Red Army seemed to have taken a very negative attitude towards the Heer to use an anti-tank rifle like that :!:

Schweiß speichert Blut
"...the future is clearly known, only the past has to be rewritten"

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 14:35 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
M1Collector wrote:
Kozlov wrote:

Tell me please, when did the last time anybody walk with an 20KG Weapon walk into a shop to rob them? Either with an full auto M2 .50 Machine gun or an PTRD, or semi auto PTRS or maybe only a 10KG M82 barret or similar single shot .50 weapon? :roll:

It always amazes me when someone says something like that. Sorry M1collector, as replies above say they are very dangerous weapons (are there any 'safe weapons'? Contradiction in terms). It is never the practicality of committing a crime with a weapon, it is the potential that makes a weapon controlled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 17:53 pm 
i have a live ptrd 41 , ( said that with a certain amount of smugness :lol: )
i have not taken it out live firing , but i know a man who has another and he has a great time with it .
he likes to let the .50 cal guys go out first , then he brings out the beast , he said there jaws drop when they see it :lol:

i have only fired blanks with mine , but its a hell of a blast .
I'm selling it soon to another member of second guards , i have had my fun with it , now its time for someone else to enjoy it .
the soviets did use the ptrs as an anti sniper weapon in Berlin , cant imagine the results of a hit from that size of round .

cheers , grigoriev .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 16:03 pm 

Hi all,

They tried to ban deacts by the end of the year 2008 but with no success. They found no proof from the police that mostly all deacts are involved with crime. It is mostly hand guns that will be banned in the future but weapons like AT rifles, submachine guns and machine guns will be ok. With new laws on Assault rifles they are welded with no moving parts, rifles and MG's will be fine for the next couple of years. It's a real shame honest collectors are always being pushed in a corner with the laws.

Baz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 16:05 pm 

Would love to fire a PTRD or PTRS, should be excellent!. even a .50 would be amazing.

GRIGORIEV wrote:
i have a live ptrd 41 , ( said that with a certain amount of smugness :lol: )
i have not taken it out live firing , but i know a man who has another and he has a great time with it .
he likes to let the .50 cal guys go out first , then he brings out the beast , he said there jaws drop when they see it :lol:

i have only fired blanks with mine , but its a hell of a blast .
I'm selling it soon to another member of second guards , i have had my fun with it , now its time for someone else to enjoy it .
the soviets did use the ptrs as an anti sniper weapon in Berlin , cant imagine the results of a hit from that size of round .

cheers , grigoriev .